Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,900 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Jock 07
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Completely unrelated to awesome Texas BBQ but a cool Dallas/Beckham story….

There is a huge international youth soccer tournament in Dallas every year called the Dallas Cup. In Beckham's biography he recounted how he went to Dallas as a youth with the ManU youth team. The kids are all put up with host families. Most of his teammates were with fancy Plano families with swimming pools and the like but young Mr Beckham is bunking with a guy who ran a pool maintenance company. Every day on the way to the tournament he, his son and Becks would stop at McDonalds on their way to the soccer fields.

When Beckham had moved the Galaxy and was coming to play FCD for the first time, FCD found the pool guy and brought him to the game and he now got to meet the slightly more famous David Beckham again.
CDub06
AG
What's the wait look like at Goldees nowadays? Or more specifically - on a Labor Day weekend?
DiskoTroop
Anyone been to KG in Austin? Egyptian BBQ cross over. Makes me think of Blood Brothers in Houston with the Asian cross over…

KG BBQ

https://yelp.to/NXThLQHDgW
schmendeler
AG
It's on TX Monthly's top new bbq joints list.
DiskoTroop
schmendeler said:

It's on TX Monthly's top new bbq joints list.

Yep! Curious if anyone's been
TejasAg
AG
I've been a couple times now. I've enjoyed it each time. A lot of flavors
DiskoTroop
The side game looks strong. I love those flavors.
CenTexSmoke
I've been. It's definitely worth a try, the flavors are different than what you'll be used to, but I found it very very good.
agfan2013
AG

Truth - Houston location today. Still remains my favorite spot in the state.

Brisket was fantastic as always (including the half pound of lean you can't see buried under the moist), spicy pepperjack sausage was great and the brisket boudin solid and little better than the Tejas version I had a week ago. Great sides as always. Not pictured: two huge slices of cake, chocolate and birthday flavors. They just do everything so well.
DiskoTroop
One side clearly mac and cheese, but what's the other? Squash casserole? Say it's squash casserole...
CowtownAg06
AG
Pretty sure that's their corn pudding. It could be tater tot casserole. Both are excellent sides.
htxag09
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Pretty sure that's their corn pudding. It could be tater tot casserole. Both are excellent sides.

Their corn pudding is probably my single favorite bbq side.
agfan2013
AG
Yep it's corn pudding. One of my favorite sides, 1775 does an excellent version as well (they call theirs more of a corn casserole). The Tater tot casserole is a good choice there as well, just didn't get it this time.
CDub06
AG
I told my parents I would take them to Bar A the next time they were up here. They're up here now, so we may brave it. Not sure what to expect with that list just coming out. There was zero wait last time we were there.

I'll report back.
CDub06
AG
Got to Bar A before 10:20 for the 10:45 opening and only had one couple in front of us. About 5 groups in line at opening. The line steadily grew after 11.

Meats we're as good as before. Ribs were more saucy this time around. Got the jalapeño cheese sausage for the first time and its streets ahead of the beefy link. I mean, Really good sausage.
CenTexSmoke
I was really impressed with the sausage on my trip as well. No rubbery casings especially is what I loved. So many places nail the flavor and texture and then have an indestructible casing that ruins it.
NColoradoAG
CDub06 said:

Got to Bar A before 10:20 for the 10:45 opening and only had one couple in front of us. About 5 groups in line at opening. The line steadily grew after 11.

Meats we're as good as before. Ribs were more saucy this time around. Got the jalapeño cheese sausage for the first time and its streets ahead of the beefy link. I mean, Really good sausage.

**** sides amirite?!
CDub06
AG
There's some pork belly in that picture.
TXAG 05
AG
I always consider sausage a side.
Bulldog73
AG
There's a joke here, but it would be highly offensive and may end with a ban.
MAROON
AG
CDub06 said:

Damn that's a Keto diet wet dream. Thank you for your service.
Jock 07
AG
Today's lunch. Pretty sweet being able to grab BBQ like this 5 minutes from my office with no line today.
ftworthag02
AG
Where's that from?
Jock 07
AG
Chuckwagon 719 in Colorado Springs. They're a trailer so they move around but Thursdays & Fridays they're typically set up in front of a bakery that's 5 minutes from my office. They usually have a decent line but there wasn't one when I got there today. Best BBQ I've had in CO and it's not even that close.
Koldus131
AG
schmendeler
AG
Assuming he sticks with what he's saying he's going to do with the business in article, seems like it's about the best you could hope for with someone else buying the restaurant.
The Pilot
AG
Jock 07 said:

Chuckwagon 719 in Colorado Springs. They're a trailer so they move around but Thursdays & Fridays they're typically set up in front of a bakery that's 5 minutes from my office. They usually have a decent line but there wasn't one when I got there today. Best BBQ I've had in CO and it's not even that close.

What else have you had in CO?
Jock 07
AG
The Pilot said:

Jock 07 said:

What else have you had in CO?

Everything else in COS is dog****, hell Rudy's is probably the next closest. I've also been to post oak & Wayne's years ago. Want to try AJs up there as well but haven't made it. There was also a spot right next to OMF brewery that I want to try but haven't had the chance yet.
The Pilot
AG
Pit Fiend in Denver is good, I think one of main guys worked with Aaron Franklin.

Barbosas bbq is good too, Aggie owned.

The only time I went to post oak I wasn't impressed but definitely have limited options in CO.
Jock 07
AG
Pit fiend, I think that's the one next to OMF, will have to check it out.
NColoradoAG
Jock 07 said:

Owlbear
The Pilot
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Jock 07 said:

Owlbear

Owlbear closed
NColoradoAG
The Pilot said:

NColoradoAG said:

Jock 07 said:

Owlbear

Owlbear closed

Shows how much I go to Denver .
Saxsoon
AG
Koldus131 said:

Todd and Misty are good people. Hopefully this goes well and they still seem to be involved which is promising
CDub06
AG
Pit Fiend is next to OMF. It is Excellent!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.