Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,893 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Jock 07
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That bean okra side looks amazing
JCA1
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

That bean okra side looks amazing

That caught my eye as well. Can't say I've ever had beans with okra but I'm intrigued.
La Fours
AG
I was curious as well, so I looked up the menu. It's poblano mac n cheese.
RAM700BA
AG
Burnt Bean trip with my family in 2 weeks. Counting down the days.
CDub06
AG
I was really impressed Bar A. Glad to have some really good barbecue in the area. That location has turned over many times, but I think we've found a winner.

Had a buddy text me yesterday like "why haven't you told me about this place?"
TejasAg
AG
I dont see many get the chicken quarters, but it's my favorite meat there. That chili vinegar sauce chef pairs it with hits right on the tallow toast. Last year they rotated sides pretty often but haven't had as much variety this summer. Close to work so I hit it pretty frequently.

On another note I've had KG bbq the last couple weeks. Man if you want something different give it a try. A lot a flavors going on there. Sorry no picture from me right now
CenTexSmoke
Ate there a few weeks back. Really enjoyed the brisket and rice mixture with the nuts and pomegranate seeds, etc. Definitely different but great in its own way.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Ate there a while back. So good. That poblano Mac and cheese is delicious. Everything is terrific and it's well worth the visit.
rjones2688
Poblano Mac & Cheese. Delicious !
rjones2688
It was really good. Could of used a little more salt but i aint mad at it
Koldus131
AG
Koldus131 said:

Agreed but do feel it's worth mentioning Stiles is still great and Aggie owned and operated. Also a friend of TexAgs and have come to CS to do tailgates with TexAgs before.

Just building off of this point - Brauninger shared that Shane Stiles and some employees from Stiles Switch are coming to CS this weekend for the football recruiting pool party and smoking the meats for the event. Good bull by them, and know they are honored to help carry on Terry Price's legacy.
tsuag10
AG
Great bull. I was just wondering a couple of days ago who was going to do all the smoked meats now…
BurnetAggie99
Very cool Shane Stiles is stepping in to cook the BBQ and awesome to have a great Aggie like Shane to help out the program.
CowtownAg06
AG
Going to be home in FW this weekend and may have time Sunday am for a BBQ run. Is Daynes the best option and what are the waits like on Sunday?
tsuag10
AG
First time at LJ's in Brenham today. Brisket and Ribs were both very good. Probably top 20 level in my opinion.

wadd96
AG
Shameless plug at Brad and Brandon are friends. Soon to be in the menu. Looks awesome. Ready to try one when we get back from NYC.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
La Fours
AG
One of my vendors took me and a coworker to lunch there yesterday. Their new pepper jack sausage is really good.
Bulldog73
AG
Just had Mimsy's again. We were on the road so no pictures. Not much marbling on the moist, but pretty greasy. Nice pepper crust. Pulled pork was dry. Overall, it's fine but not worth going out of the way for.
tsuag10
AG
LJ's definitely doesn't seem to try real hard when it comes to presentation, but I also ordered brisket, ribs, pinto beans, and banana pudding. Doesn't make for a pretty picture, but it is what it is.
CowtownAg06
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Going to be home in FW this weekend and may have time Sunday am for a BBQ run. Is Daynes the best option and what are the waits like on Sunday?

I asked this yesterday before the picture talk…. Bumping to see if anyone has thoughts.
AgsWin2011
AG
I had a job where I was traveling to Brenham every day in 2020 (construction project). We would go to LJ's almost once a week. I could have lived off their brisket and mac n cheese. Hope they're still putting out good food.
555-PINF
I crave their pickles almost as much as their brisket.
Koldus131
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
This is a great tribute. Still can't believe he is gone.
Koldus131
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

CowtownAg06 said:

I asked this yesterday before the picture talk…. Bumping to see if anyone has thoughts.

Dayne's is great but practically in Weatherford and and moving to Aledo soon. Panther City is probably your best bet in Central FW. I'd recommend Dayne's personally. Lines shouldn't be more than 30-45 min if you get there at open. At least from my experience.

Goldee's is a different beast and would take a lot of commitment. Hurtado is a great option as well if you feel like going to Arlington. I haven't been to Smoke-A-Holics but that's another Top 50 joint in central FW.
CowtownAg06
AG
Don't have the capacity for Goldees.

We actually picked up Truth on the way out of Houston so might have the BBQ itch attached today.
JCRiley09
AG
Hurtados has a Fort Worth location at Rosedale and 8th. I've never been so can't speak to the line situation
rjones2688
IG-rickysjones
Quote:

Interstellar never misses.

agcrock2005
AG
Kind of related. Got e-mail last night from my 7-year old's new football coach, Brandon Hurtado. No idea how he can have enough time to coach kids football. Must have some good pitmasters working for him. I still haven't tried his stuff, but looking forward to it.
AgsWin2011
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Kind of related. Got e-mail last night from my 7-year old's new football coach, Brandon Hurtado. No idea how he can have enough time to coach kids football. Must have some good pitmasters working for him. I still haven't tried his stuff, but looking forward to it.

Dude, don't skip the team party if it's at his house. Shoot me a DM if he invites you so I can be your +1.
agfan2013
AG

Had a late lunch at Tejas yesterday. I've had their samples at the bbq festivals, but first time for the full restaurant experience. I remember the controversy when they were top 10 on the 2017 list.

Meats were good, but nothing truly stellar (outside of the Chile relleno sausage, that's an amazing bite), but the sides and desserts really stood out. Carrot souffl is probably in my top 5 favorite bbq sides now and the cornbread casserole was great as well.
Farmer1906
AG
agfan2013 said:

Had a late lunch at Tejas yesterday. I've had their samples at the bbq festivals, but first time for the full restaurant experience. I remember the controversy when they were top 10 on the 2017 list.

Meats were good, but nothing truly stellar (outside of the Chile relleno sausage, that's an amazing bite), but the sides and desserts really stood out. Carrot souffl is probably in my top 5 favorite bbq sides now and the cornbread casserole was great as well.

That is usually my experience there.
BohunkAg
AG
agfan2013 said:

When the carrot souffle is the best thing at a BBQ restaurant, I think we've lost the plot here.
NColoradoAG
BohunkAg said:

agfan2013 said:

When the carrot souffle is the best thing at a BBQ restaurant, I think we've lost the plot here.

The Chile Rellano sausage is the best thing at Tejas. Probably the best sausage in the state IMO.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Has anyone checked out KG BBQ in Austin?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.