Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,887 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Jock 07
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exactly!
BohunkAg
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BohunkAg said:

wadd96 said:

So, if you walk into a high end steakhouse without a reservation, are you walking out when they tell you its a 45 minute wait? I'm not...
Yeah, I probably will.

I absolutely would wait if my only option to go to great steak houses were to wait.
I guess we are wired differently. I don't care how good a meal is. I don't care to stand around for a long period of time to wait to sit down to eat it. My wife is the same way. I think it's ok if folks are. And I think it's good for restaurant owners that they have built customer bases that are willing to do this. Great for them! It's just not for me.
agcrock2005
AG
I feel like I've heard this discussion before.
Farmer1906
AG
BohunkAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

BohunkAg said:

wadd96 said:

So, if you walk into a high end steakhouse without a reservation, are you walking out when they tell you its a 45 minute wait? I'm not...
Yeah, I probably will.

I absolutely would wait if my only option to go to great steak houses were to wait.
I guess we are wired differently. I don't care how good a meal is. I don't care to stand around for a long period of time to wait to sit down to eat it. My wife is the same way. I think it's ok if folks are. And I think it's good for restaurant owners that they have built customer bases that are willing to do this. Great for them! It's just not for me.

That's fair. But would you just never have great steak out then?
tsuag10
AG
Sorry, guys. I honestly wasn't aware that I was kicking the "waiting in line" hornets' nest when I posted about Franklin. I was just commenting on my top-of-mind thoughts.

I honestly haven't paid attention to the previous debates here on that topic because what other people choose to do with their time doesn't bother me.
CenTexSmoke
If you enjoyed your meal, I wouldn't worry about much else. It's the internet…post whatever review you like,
BohunkAg
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I feel like I've heard this discussion before.

Welcome to Texags for the last 20 years
Aggie09Derek
AG
Their food looks legit but am I missing something on their meat prices? Seems insane to have prices like that (especially Turkey and Brisket).
Peter Klaven
AG
I don't like it, but I'd say that's pretty consistent with quality barbecue pricing these days.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Oh I'm not talking about the $ amount, that's perfectly fine

The delta between 1/4th lb and 1/2lb
BohunkAg
AG
I don't know....one meat w/ two sides for $20 is pretty insane.
BohunkAg
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Oh I'm not talking about the $ amount, that's perfectly fine

The delta between 1/4th lb and 1/2lb
They didn't take math
schmendeler
AG
Probably don't want to **** with spending time on a tiny 1/4. That's my guess?
Aggie09Derek
AG
I'm someone who likes to do a lot of brisket and then quarter of something else to try it - guess would be SOL there.
schmendeler
AG
Not sol. Just gotta pay more... They may miss out on some business from folks that like to do like you, though. Maybe they don't care? Not sure.

Not saying it's the right decision. Just guessing at their thinking.
htxag09
AG
It's just silly and overthinking and overcomplicating it, IMO.

It's not something that's made to order that's taking a decent amount of time for a smaller portion.

It's BBQ. They're cooking the larger cut and likely selling out of everything anyways. So someone ordering 1/4 lb of meat vs. 1/2 lb maybe costs them the hourly rate of the server to spend the same 5 seconds on half the meat....
Aggie09Derek
AG
Agree

Even if want to tier do $9/$16/$30 for top end brisket

And yeah if I want to order 1/3rd lb have it charge me the 1/4th lb rate per ounce and not get the bump in savings until next threshold (or I guess just deny people from ordering outside of those 3 things).

Just lol if someone wants 3/4th lb - what are they charging them? 1/2 lb rate then 1/4th lb rate?
500,000ags
AG
Idk, long lines tend to move slow when someone orders 3 1/4 lbs of different meats. And tourists do that **** a lot.
tsuag10
AG
Yep. And incentivizing folks to just do the 1/2 or full 1 lb. On a big, fat point you might only get 1 slice for 1/4 lb. I'm a fan of either 1/2 or 1 lb increments, personally.

Also, I work in the meat business, and meat prices are wild. When you factor in cooking loss, labor costs, and other supplies, their prices aren't really too far out of line. Russell Roegels in Houston went through the numbers with me a few months ago, and it was pretty crazy how tight the margins are on some items.
CDub06
AG
500,000ags said:

Idk, long lines tend to move slow when someone orders 3 1/4 lbs of different meats. And tourists do that **** a lot.
WHO YOU CALLING A TOURIST?
500,000ags
AG
I could see margins being thinner than expected. Meat prices fluctuate, it takes time, and it's a competitive space so pricing has to be at a certain point. Aside from fixed versus variable, it might as well be an airline.
500,000ags
AG
Everyone not me.

You a tourist. He's a tourist. She's a tourist. Oh, yeah, he's definitely a tourist.
CDub06
AG
To be honest, the only thing I order in 1/4 quantities is pulled pork. Or mayyyybe I'll add a couple of slices of turkey.
CenTexSmoke
Just my own logic here on B4's pricing, but we all have a bare minimum for what's worth our time, or what our time is worth I guess. My 500 gallon is not half the price of my 1000 gallon for example, yes it's half the size, but pricing it that way I'd be at a razor thin margin if not in the red. I'm going to make the same rate of profit on a 1000 as I do on a 500 or I'm not going to build it. I'm sure B4 thinks the higher price for a 1/4 lb is helping their bottom line somehow for the time and effort it takes them to serve you.
wadd96
AG
This.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
wadd96
AG
It's interesting, and you definitely get a better "deal" by going for the full pound.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
BohunkAg
AG
CDub06 said:

To be honest, the only thing I order in 1/4 quantities is pulled pork. Or mayyyybe I'll add a couple of slices of turkey.
That'll change as you get older
Blanco Jimenez
AG
I'm stuck in Austin for the week but lunch is not an option. Are there any places that have decent BBQ at supper time?
Koldus131
AG
Stiles Switch and Terry Black's
CenTexSmoke
Leroy & Lewis is open for a second service in the afternoons.
Streetfighter 02
AG
It keeps him from being stuck with a bunch of meat at the end of the day.

Came back to this thread because I saw that Dayne's is moving again. This time further west to Aledo which will make it a challenge to go to for lunch from downtown Fort Worth.
RAM700BA
AG
Koldus131 said:

Stiles Switch and Terry Black's

Seconded. However Terry Black's parking can be awful at times, but the bbq is better than Stiles. Stiles is still great though.
CDub06
AG
Terry Blacks is one of the best & most dependable Texas BBQ dinners you can get anywhere.
Koldus131
AG
Agreed but do feel it's worth mentioning Stiles is still great and Aggie owned and operated. Also a friend of TexAgs and have come to CS to do tailgates with TexAgs before.
500,000ags
AG
Stiles is absolutely fantastic considering you are able to drive up, get parking, and wait like 5 minutes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.