Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

442,205 Views | 3168 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by Project Gemini
jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
tremble said:

We are waiting in line, might be 45 minutes total so not too bad. What do you recommend we order?
Peach Glazed Pork Belly is my favorite thing on the menu.
tremble
AG
jah003 said:

tremble said:

We are waiting in line, might be 45 minutes total so not too bad. What do you recommend we order?
Peach Glazed Pork Belly is my favorite thing on the menu.

Everything was really damned good. Ordered brisket, belly, regular sausage, and pork ribs. Loved their red sauce. Banana pudding also really solid.
AgsWin2011
AG
First time making a pork butt since we moved away from College Station over a year ago. Turned out pretty solid but not my best. Didn't get a picture pre-pulled but had a nice bark. Nearly 10 lbs cooked at 225 for almost 14 hours.
agcrock2005
AG
Top 50 or what's going on here?
AgsWin2011
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Top 50 or what's going on here?

Definitely top 50 in terms of cheapest price per pound! Lol
rolling_ridgeag05
Finally got to try Daynes on Saturday. Brisket was good but not elite. Could have used more pepper. Sausage and ribs were great and the beef cheeks taco was next level.

Best part was waited maybe 5 minutes tops.
wadd96
AG
Just got word that LeAnn Mueller passed. Sad day for our BBQ Family.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
agcrock2005
AG
nm.
La Fours
AG
Damn. Was she ill?
wadd96
AG
I'm hearing otherwise. But I won't speculate without more info. I just know there is a hole in the BBQ fam...
La Fours
AG
Well damn.
ftworthag02
AG
Aren't they the ones that committed insurance fraud?
LawHall88
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Aren't they the ones that committed insurance fraud?
Allegedly, they had an employee get injured, four days later they applied for workers comp and submitted the claim as if it occurred after they had the policy.

My guess is the employee was going to sue them out of business if they didn't come up with a way to pay the medical bills.
wadd96
AG
That's what the lawsuit said... But it hadn't gone to trial yet... Feel terrible for Ali and Wayne and the rest of the family...
ftworthag02
AG
Allison was my best friends girlfriend while at Paschal and 1 year at sfa.
Farmer1906
AG
Heading to Truth in Brenham tomorrow. Can anyone give me line / sell out expectations they've experienced?
CowtownAg06
AG
I usually only go on Saturdays. 10:15 you'll be first 5 in line. 10:45 maybe, you'll be 45 min wait. Sell out is usually around 1:30. All this may be different on a Friday.
Mathguy64
AG
Be aware it's pretty small and there is very little parking. Most of what they have for eating spots are outdoors and if the weather is sketchy it's not really workable.
LawHall88
AG
wadd96 said:

Just got word that LeAnn Mueller passed. Sad day for our BBQ Family.
Daniel Vaughn just posted an article:
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/leann-mueller-barbecue-groundbreaker-dies-at-51/
aggie2812-2
AG
Figured y'all would get a kick out of this BBQ place called My Meat Wagon in Dublin. The beef rib was good as was the Mac and Cheese. The chicken was ok but pulled pork was too sweet. The beef he did Texas style while everything else was St Louis based. In the collage picture you can see Aggieland was place he visited in Texas on his bbq tours. Thought that was pretty cool.

DiskoTroop
I've cooked on that pit!!
AgsWin2011
AG
407 in Argyle was pretty solid today
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Not a top 50, but still pretty good. I had 1976 Barbecue on Hwy 30 in College Station today. Three meat plate of brisket, ribs, and jalapeno cheese sausage with cream corn and brisket mac for sides. At $20, I'd say it's on par with most places. But the amount of food was impressive. Three full ribs, two big slices of brisket, and the sausage.

Sausage is fantastic. Ribs are really good with a heavy black pepper rub, although they were a little tougher than expected. Brisket was decent. I've had better there before. I would say this is the second best place in Aggieland behind 1775. Unfortunately, he is shutting down as soon as he sells his smoker or trailer. Anyone need a thousand gallon Mill Scale?

Will add not super impressive picture shortly.
BohunkAg
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

How was the brisket? It looks like it lacks a smoke ring?
AgsWin2011
AG
It was actually better than previous times. Great flavor and tender/juicy. Picture may not show that, but it was.

I love their sides, especially the brussel sprouts
AirplaneAg09
AG
I'm still a big fan of 407, but they have fallen off a bit as their business exploded. Don't fault them at all for cashing in like they have, and they still churn out real good BBQ, but those early days in the portable building on the other side of 35W were off the charts good.
AgsWin2011
AG
I'd say they are priced pretty fairly as well. That whole plate with a drink was $28 and I couldn't finish it. A plate and sides like that at some places would be closer to $40-50.
agcrock2005
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

Sorry, I used to love this place when it was west of 35 in a crappy little shack. Their quality has gone to crap with the new building. They did the Pecan Lodge model of BBQ and they're reaping the benefits but man I miss their old BBQ. This brisket looks over. The brussel sprouts are delicious, but it's because of that insane amount of something sauce on top of it. Mac and cheese pretty good. Boudin decent. Really just miss their old stuff. I live less than 2 miles away and don't go anymore. Lucky for them though there is no competition so they're going to kill it for years.
Austinag85
AG
In El Paso today for business. Any BBQ recs?
BurnetAggie99
Desert Oak BBQ
Smokin Joe's BBQ
Rollin Smoke BBQ
Skinny's BBQ
Tony's BBQ - One of the oldest places in town
schmendeler
AG

CDub06
AG
Good stuff at the Shed Market in Abilene. Really cool new building they have as well.

schmendeler
AG

tsuag10
AG
Helberg in Waco yesterday. Pork steak was awesome. Brisket was great with a nice crusty bark and well rendered fat. Beans were just beans, but the street corn was really good and paired awesome with fatty meats.
agcrock2005
AG
Sorry...you've been off your game for a few years with the kids it seems. That is not the quality of bbq you were posting about a few years ago!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.