Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

454,609 Views | 3186 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jja79
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've only been to Killen's twice and I was underwhelmed with the brisket. For me that's the litmus test.
DaveHimself
AG
Pecan Lodge earlier this week. My first time, plus first beef rib experience. It was great as was brisket. Sausage meh.

BohunkAg
AG
jja79 said:

I've only been to Killen's twice and I was underwhelmed with the brisket. For me that's the litmus test.
I thought the litmus test was how good their street corn, pea salad, or candied brussel sprouts were. At least that's what some of this new places would have you believe.
DatTallArchitect
AG
BohunkAg said:

jja79 said:

I thought the litmus test was how good their street corn, pea salad, or candied brussel sprouts were. At least that's what some of this new places would have you believe.
Brisket is the litmus test to see if it is a good BBQ restaurant. However, to be a great BBQ restaurant you also have to have good sides. Good brisket with beans and potato salad just doesn't cut it these days. The bar has been raised.
gigemJTH12
AG
tsuag10 said:

Killen's in Pearland yesterday.
I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with this visit.

Brisket was ok, but nothing special. Ribs were decent. Sides were acceptable.

Nothing bad, just not Top 50 quality in my opinion. I've been before and it was better, but I would probably still have put them in the honorable mentions list.

Killens is super hit or miss on the meat. Brisket has been good the last two times I went.. its actually way better than it was a year or so ago.

you also may have chosen their two worst sides. their beans are awful.

brussels are great.
BohunkAg
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

BohunkAg said:

jja79 said:

Brisket is the litmus test to see if it is a good BBQ restaurant. However, to be a great BBQ restaurant you also have to have good sides. Good brisket with beans and potato salad just doesn't cut it these days. The bar has been raised.
I was sort of funning. I get it.
DiskoTroop
Went to Fire Craft again this weekend. I do believe they'll be top 50 next go round.

Turkey and house made sausage with garlic cauliflower and squash casserole

Fatty brisket and pulled pork with beans and brisket dirty rice.

Saxsoon
AG
It was very tender for a lean cut. I used a plastic fork
BurnetAggie99
Wasn't able to get pictures this past Saturday but Kelly's Hill Country BBQ in Wimberley is legit. Brisket, Sausage & Ribs were outstanding
schmendeler
AG
I actually tried a new place on Saturday. Rosemeyer barbecue in Spring. Overall it was very good.

Quibbles: i asked for moist and was given lean. The lean was very tender, but not gonna lie, i was disappointed because i heavily prefer moist. Also, the sides were both under seasoned next to the salty meat.

The ribs have a very light sweet glaze and the sausage was jalapeno cheddar. Both really delicious.

They also had a weekly ice cream flavor. I don't remember the name of the girl scout cookie it was patterned after, but it was tasty.

jja79
AG
Where in Spring?
schmendeler
AG
Riley Fuzzel when it's running along the grand parkway.

It's next to a gas station.
BohunkAg
AG
Son has a baseball tournament in Brownwood this weekend. Going to hit up Underwood's. It's not Top 50, but it's a historic Texas family BBQ restaurant
BurnetAggie99
After you try Underwood's few other very solid spots give a whirl cover the trifecta. Up In Smoke BBQ in Early & Smitty's BBQ in Brownwood as well.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
BohunkAg said:

Son has a baseball tournament in Brownwood this weekend. Going to hit up Underwood's. It's not Top 50, but it's a historic Texas family BBQ restaurant
Don't get your hopes up over Underwood's. It's more of a cafe that serves sausage and "barbecue beef" that I've never quite figured out exactly what it was. Good restaurant, just not anything along the lines of anything in this thread.

I've heard Up In Smoke is good, but I have yet to try it. Smitty's is ok. We brought it home for dinner probably once a week growing up, so I've always been partial to it. But again, it doesn't hold and candle to anything in this thread.
wadd96
AG
I've heard good things about what Junior Urias is doing at Up in Smoke...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Beef Cheek
AG
Forgot to post this on Sunday, but stopped at 225 BBQ in Arlington with JCRiley09 and Evan LeRoy before the Yankees vs Rangers game.

Get the tacos. We couldn't stop talking about the tacos.

Saxsoon
AG
Mother of God
Mathguy64
AG
Brisket birria tacos?
jja79
AG
If you went as a kid it might be a nostalgic experience. I can't count how many times my dad and I ate there driving from Fort Stockton to Gatesville as a kid. Maybe a million. That would be the only reason I'd go.
TequilaMockingbird
jja79 said:

If you went as a kid it might be a nostalgic experience. I can't count how many times my dad and I ate there driving from Fort Stockton to Gatesville as a kid. Maybe a million. That would be the only reason I'd go.
https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/3371940/replies/64643321

There's definitely nostalgia involved when eating at Underwoods. It's pretty good eating. I enjoy it. But as stated upthread and in the thread I linked it's not what most of us are talking about when we say "Texas BBQ".
BohunkAg
AG
jja79 said:

That's the reason I want to go.
jh0400
AG
Anybody going to be at Red Dirt BBQ Fest in Tyler this weekend?
jja79
AG
If I find myself that direction I'd probably go.
BohunkAg
AG
I'll have my 15 and 14 year old sons with me. I think they will appreciate the volume.
agcrock2005
AG
jh0400 said:

Anybody going to be at Red Dirt BBQ Fest in Tyler this weekend?
I was thinking about heading down to try out Firecraft BBQ in the Houston area. Have heard great things about it and the pictures I've seen recently are incredible. Definitely top 10 in the next TM rankings.
wadd96
AG
Will be staying in B/CS...
agfan2013
AG
Got busy and forgot to post last week, but was traveling around Temple for work again and made my second stop at Putskas and it was dang good again. Brisket, jalapeno-jack sausage and the elotes for a side, all were great, i even grabbed a second link of sausage to go that was my dinner that evening.

Yall may think I'm crazy but I really got to find a way over to Brothertons when Bill Dumas is doing some of his craft/specialty sausasges. I couldnt make it work this past weekend when he was doing the peach cobbler sausage, and I've been dying to try that ever since I saw him make it last year. Yall will probably roll your eyes, but even my super picky, super skeptical wife was crazy impressed when we had the "candied bacon bananna nut bread" sausage he made at the TX Monthly fest in Lockhart last year. I bet the cobbler one is dang good and might replace Brett's pico de gallo as my favorite.

Anyways, looking forward to the Troubadoor Festival in just a few weeks, Brothertons will be one of the places cooking, maybe he will make some peach cobbler sausage for that.... Hopefully get to run into Beef Cheek at that since L&L is attending and I missed him at the Lockhart festival.
gigemJTH12
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Wasn't able to get pictures this past Saturday but Kelly's Hill Country BBQ in Wimberley is legit. Brisket, Sausage & Ribs were outstanding
good to know!
gigemJTH12
AG
elite smoked sausage is a very underrated part of BBQ joints. that looks very good!
gigemJTH12
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Forgot to post this on Sunday, but stopped at 225 BBQ in Arlington with JCRiley09 and Evan LeRoy before the Yankees vs Rangers game.

I am at work and just went to look this place up and accidentally googled "225 BBW"

bunch of pron popped up.

so thanks for that! but to be fair your pics are pretty close to pron anywaysl.
BohunkAg
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Beef Cheek said:

I am at work and just went to look this place up and accidentally googled "225 BBW"

bunch of pron popped up.

The Pilot
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Beef Cheek said:

bunch of pron popped up.

Google never forgets your previous searches.
Beef Cheek
AG
Hey! I'll be out there at Troubadour. Very excited for this one
wadd96
AG
Let's catch up!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.