Underwood's in Brownwood

5,405 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MooreTrucker
TequilaMockingbird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll admit I like it. I ate there when I went through Brownwood last week.

I grew up eating at the location in Odessa when it was there (Odessa actually had two locations at one time).

The hot, fresh rolls are awesome. Cobbler with a little cup of Blue Bell ice cream, yummy. But I've gotta ask-

The "beefsteak". What exactly is that cut of beef they serve?
YellAgs
AG
Ive never stopped there, but passed it all the time when i went to see west tx family more often.
Teslag
AG
Orange potato salad
B-1 83
AG
Used to be you ordered your meat, and the sides were all you can eat.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Born and raised in Brownwood… we rarely ate there but everyone who passes through seems to know it. The beef is shoulder clod. Never had it.

Heard it's closing soon. Next generation doesn't want to run to run it.
Teslag
AG
Underwood's in Brownwood Has Been Serving Barbecue for 76 Years (texasmonthly.com)

Good read
Hwy30East
Am I the only one who read Underwood's, and thought of Claire and Frank / House of Cards?

Probably
wildcat08
AG
Hate to hear it's closing. We used to go through Brownwood 2-3 times a year, and tried to eat there when we could. As someone else noted, rolls and cobbler were the primary draw. I'm not sure I ever ate what they called BBQ. One look was enough. Catfish and fried chicken were good, though.
BenFiasco14
AG
When I lived in Austin we'd stop through anytime we had to go to Lubbock for something. Sad to see it's closing but the days of cafeterias have long since passed.

I thought the food was okay. It's more of a novelty experience these days. Like stepping back in time.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
rebag00
AG
O.G. Early here - Underwood's was fine when we were kids, but for actual BBQ in Brownwood, it was Smitty's. The rolls are really good, though! Those iconic signs and their location on the highway out of town made them a lot of money.
UTExan
TequilaMockingbird said:

I'll admit I like it. I ate there when I went through Brownwood last week.

I grew up eating at the location in Odessa when it was there (Odessa actually had two locations at one time).

The hot, fresh rolls are awesome. Cobbler with a little cup of Blue Bell ice cream, yummy. But I've gotta ask-

The "beefsteak". What exactly is that cut of beef they serve?

Loved that place when I was on high school band trips. I wondered what happened to it. Like the Luby's in Bryan, I figured it had closed down already.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Dr.Rumack
Hwy30East said:

Am I the only one who read Underwood's, and thought of Claire and Frank / House of Cards?

Probably

I read it as the Underhills and thought it was about steak sandwiches…
BaitShack
AG
I could go for a steak sandwich right about now
CDub06
AG
It might be iconic. But it's not good.
HollywoodBQ
AG
In the 1990s, I spent my six "good years" in 3-112 Armor in the National Guard with the Battalion HQ in Brownwood.

Standard drill weekend in Brownwood was usually like this:

Friday lunch would be at "The Section Hand".

Saturday nights would involve at least one run down Center Street (I think that was the name of the main drag) before hanging out at Sonic. Later years, one of my NCOs would use his private club membership to get us in to a country western dance hall called "The Red Door", or "The Red Barn". Something like that.

Sunday mornings were always lunch at Underwoods. The trick was, you had to beat the Church crowd otherwise, you'd wind up in a line 30 people deep waiting to get in.

Of course if the Dallas Cowboys were playing on Sunday afternoon, we'd get released early so we didn't miss kickoff.

Good Times.
Bad Poster
wildcat08 said:

Hate to hear it's closing. We used to go through Brownwood 2-3 times a year, and tried to eat there when we could. As someone else noted, rolls and cobbler were the primary draw. I'm not sure I ever ate what they called BBQ. One look was enough. Catfish and fried chicken were good, though.

Where did you see they were closing? MIL lives in comanche and hadnt heard they were closing. When is their last day?
rilloaggie
AG
When I was a senior in high school we had a track meet in Brownwood and of course ate at Underwood's. Later that night we talked an underclassman into trying his first dip. About 15 mins later he proceeds to puke and absolutely paint the walls of the bathroom at the La Quinta with his dinner from Underwood's. I have no memory of the meal other than that experience. Good times!
TequilaMockingbird
Bad Poster said:

wildcat08 said:

Where did you see they were closing? MIL lives in comanche and hadnt heard they were closing. When is their last day?

I believe he means when the current owner retires, whenever that may be.
TequilaMockingbird
HollywoodBQ said:

Saturday nights would involve at least one run down Center Street (I think that was the name of the main drag) before hanging out at Sonic.
Yep, Center Avenue. Turn around at the courthouse and go back the other way.
Line up and wait 18L
The last time I ate at Underwoods in Brownwood, Colt McCoy was there. He was a patron, not serving.
ConstructionAg01
AG

This was the first time I'd been in about a decade. Brought back great memories of eating there after dove hunts and deer hunts in Brownwood.
ShotOver
AG
Hwy30East said:

Probably
I miss that show.
Bucketrunner
Grew up eating there and always try to eat there when we check in at the ranch. It isn't traditional barbecue for sure, but it is tasty. I've heard people rave about the fried chicken, but I haven't tried it. My grandparents and the Underwood grandparents were friends, as were my parents. It's just a tradition I would hate to see pass.
GigEmMortis
AG
Hwy30East said:

Probably
Currently re-watching that series and I had the same thought as well
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Brownwood born and raised and grew up two houses down from one of the current owners. Have not heard anything about them closing, but I will ask around. They were plenty busy this past weekend.

I've always been a fan of their chicken. The beef "steak" was my favorite growing up, but I don't eat it now because I have no idea what it actually is.
Aggiemike96
AG
Wacoans - Wasn't there an Underwoods on Valley Mills drive between Cobbs and Bosque Blvd by the Skaggs Alpha Beta and Steak and Ale? Early/mid 90s.
TequilaMockingbird
Aggiemike96 said:

Wacoans - Wasn't there an Underwoods on Valley Mills drive between Cobbs and Bosque Blvd by the Skaggs Alpha Beta and Steak and Ale? Early/mid 90s.
Yes- https://underwoodsbbq.com/our-history/
maggie16
Grew up just down the road and I always hated when my family wanted to go to Underwood's. May be a staple for some, but always reminded me of cafeteria food.
The Kraken
AG
I remember the Underwood's in Sherman in the late 70's when I was a kid living in Whitesboro.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
oklaunion
It was the first restaurant I ever went to as a kid where you could get all you could drink soda. That was unheard of back then.
Teslag
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

In the 1990s, I spent my six "good years" in 3-112 Armor in the National Guard with the Battalion HQ in Brownwood.

Standard drill weekend in Brownwood was usually like this:

Friday lunch would be at "The Section Hand".

Saturday nights would involve at least one run down Center Street (I think that was the name of the main drag) before hanging out at Sonic. Later years, one of my NCOs would use his private club membership to get us in to a country western dance hall called "The Red Door", or "The Red Barn". Something like that.

Sunday mornings were always lunch at Underwoods. The trick was, you had to beat the Church crowd otherwise, you'd wind up in a line 30 people deep waiting to get in.

Of course if the Dallas Cowboys were playing on Sunday afternoon, we'd get released early so we didn't miss kickoff.

Good Times.

All I can say is **** MUTA sixes
NoahAg
ConstructionAg01 said:

This was the first time I'd been in about a decade. Brought back great memories of eating there after dove hunts and deer hunts in Brownwood.
How many days later did you schedule your triple bypass?
Covered w/gravy, and another side of gravy?!
MooreTrucker
AG
We ate at the one in Lubbock a lot when I was a kid. I remember them having some kind of chicken thing that had plastic eggs with toys or something inside them.

We've eaten at the Brownwood place a few times. As has been said, not the best, but iconic.

Sad to hear it's no more.
Burdizzo
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

Is this the "What Did Sysco Deliver Today Special"?
Teslag
AG
MooreTrucker said:

We ate at the one in Lubbock a lot when I was a kid. I remember them having some kind of chicken thing that had plastic eggs with toys or something inside them.

We've eaten at the Brownwood place a few times. As has been said, not the best, but iconic.

Sad to hear it's no more.

It's still open and not closing.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.