Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,906 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Jock 07
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If any of y'all get stuck in hell hole that is Waco, make sure you hit up Helburg. Get the brisket of course, but get the pork steak, and I've heard great things about their turkey… but it's turkey.
MavsAg
AG
I actually had Truth today (Houston location). It's great but I remember the Brennan location being better.
agcrock2005
AG
MavsAg said:

I actually had Truth today (Houston location). It's great but I remember the Brennan location being better.
MavsAg
AG
Leaving the autocorrect because that gif is greatness.
Beef Cheek
AG
Hearing from a reliable source to expect a big shake up with the new list.

"I don't think 1 and 2 will be prepared…. People will be surprised"
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Hearing from a reliable source to expect a big shake up with the new list.

"I don't think 1 and 2 will be prepared…. People will be surprised"

Calling my shot: Valentinas
Beef Cheek
AG
I'm guessing Goldee's or Interstellar
CDub06
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Tales From the Pits released their Top 5 today.

5. Franklin
4. Cattleack
3. Evie Mae's
2. LeRoy & Lewis
1. Truth
I've got to agree that I wouldn't put Truth above those other 4. Actually, flip those rankings and it seems correct.

Leroy & Lewis is a good example of what y'all were talking about above. They've got an eclectic menu. And man, is it good. They get boosted based on their evolving menu and variety.
CDub06
AG
I've not done Goldees, but wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the top 2 based on that description. Leroy and Lewis or Evie Maes could top the list as well. 2M has to be a contender that's not been mentioned much in this thread.

A couple other names I'd like to see at the top of the list. Guess Family, Tejas, Reveille. And yes, Pustka is phenomenal.

Burnt Bean & Goldees are the two at the top of my to do list. I wish I could get out there before these are really put on the map in these new rankings...
Matsui
AG
How long is typical wait for lunch time?
jah003
S
Beef Cheek said:

I'm guessing Goldee's or Interstellar

Beef Cheek
AG
What do you know??
jah003
S
Beef Cheek said:

What do you know??

Oh nothing. I just like being able to walk up and get amazing BBQ without a line. I'm less than a mile away and probably there at least once every couple of weeks.
RustyBoltz
AG
Bulldog73 said:

If any of y'all get stuck in hell hole that is Waco, make sure you hit up Helburg. Get the brisket of course, but get the pork steak, and I've heard great things about their turkey… but it's turkey.
I really enjoy Hellburg when I want straight BBQ but I think Guess is a better spot to hit at lunch time. Their patty melt haunts my dreams.

While probably won't make any list, if you're in Wimberley, Creekside Cookers has some fantastic brisket and their sides (potato salad, jalapeno creamed corn) are delicious.
MavsAg
AG
I got there at 12:30 and waited like 5 minutes.
DuncanLEO
I'm hoping that Good Bull BBQ gets some love this year.
DatTallArchitect
AG
IronRed13 said:

......And if we're having to judge BBQ by the sides now....
I've always factored in sides. Brisket pulls the most points, but it isn't the whole meal
jja79
AG
Not sure if serious. Didn't it go out of business?
Beef Cheek
AG
Made the trek up north for Interstellar today.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Made the trek up north for Interstellar today.

Van Buren Boy
AG
We moved to Flower Mound recently and there seems to be no decent BBQ around here (based my halfassed internet search). Any recos for above average brisket and ribs within a 30 drive?
CDub06
AG
https://www.texasmonthly.com/event/tm-bbq-fest-road-trip-2021/2021-10-09/
CDub06
AG
jja79 said:

Not sure if serious. Didn't it go out of business?

One of his buddies is rebooting it. But still…
TwoTimeAg
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Feel like some of y'all are really sleeping on Truth.

They've served up some of the best BBQ I've ever had. Still think about my first trip to the Brenham location.

Brenham folks I know go to LJ's.
lazuras_dc
AG
TwoTimeAg said:

Beef Cheek said:

Feel like some of y'all are really sleeping on Truth.

They've served up some of the best BBQ I've ever had. Still think about my first trip to the Brenham location.

Brenham folks I know go to LJ's.

Mookie
AG
Interstellar caters my sons HS swim team banquet every year (their daughter was on the team a couple years ago). The meat is amazing. Top 5 for me for sure. Their Smokey potatoes are incredible.
MavsAg
AG
My kinda swim meat.
mslags97
AG
Evie Mae's is unbelievably good! I would still have Franklin's and Snow's as 1&2, and I haven't had Truth, but EM is right there and very deserving.
lazuras_dc
AG
Anyone had CM smokehouse? have a buddy that works there and they did a collab w/ interstellar this past weekend.
Beef Cheek
AG
I've been to CM, it's great! Cade and the crew are doing some creative stuff. Crunchwrap, buffalo ribs, always some good special.

Perfect for having a few beers and watching a game.
Koldus131
AG
I think what I'm most interested in for the list this go around is the geographical split. Houston really stepped up their game as the 2017 list was coming out, and DFW seems to have really stepped it up the last two years. Lots of really good spots gonna get left out.

I'd like to see Truth at #1, but based on what a previous poster claimed about #1 not being expected, Goldee's or Evie Mae's makes the most sense. Dayne's wouldn't shock me either. Burnt Bean is right up there with them but I just don't think they can give #1 to a place that's been open for 10 months.

Projected Top Ten (If they do one)

- Truth
- Goldee's
- Franklin
- Evie Mae's
- Snow's
- Cattleack
- Burnt Bean
- 2M
- Interstellar (Could see LeRoy and Lewis instead)
- Corkscrew
Koldus131
AG
Also saw a tweet today that the list gets released at 8 AM Monday
GoAgs92
AG
NColoradoAG said:

RAM700BA said:

AustinCountyAg said:

green beans look straight outa the can with some grease poured on them.

They probably are out of a can. Other sides are good though. Bacon ranch taters, corn casserole, cowboy beans, hot Cheetos Mac and cheese. Desserts are great too. Best nanner pudding I've had. Plus the other unique dishes he offers. I'll give him a pass on green beans. Not really what makes or breaks a bbq place in my book.

I always take reviews from grown men who use words like "taters" and "nanner" with a grain of salt.
Don't get me started on "sammich"
NColoradoAG
GoAgs92 said:

NColoradoAG said:

RAM700BA said:

AustinCountyAg said:

green beans look straight outa the can with some grease poured on them.

They probably are out of a can. Other sides are good though. Bacon ranch taters, corn casserole, cowboy beans, hot Cheetos Mac and cheese. Desserts are great too. Best nanner pudding I've had. Plus the other unique dishes he offers. I'll give him a pass on green beans. Not really what makes or breaks a bbq place in my book.

I always take reviews from grown men who use words like "taters" and "nanner" with a grain of salt.
Don't get me started on "sammich"

What about people who abbreviate jalapeño as "jap". Annoys the **** out of me.
Beef Cheek
AG
DFW Ags should make their way to Goldee's today or tomorrow… that line about to get a lot longer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.