Astros offseason thread

351,471 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kinda funny

Astros yanks and Red Sox are a combined 15-2 in Grapefruit League
TREX01
Yuli just posted a pic on IG with him in a hospital bed. Fml
Ag_07
AG
TREX01 said:

A) Still not sure if it's serious

B) It's still FEB

C) Marwin slots in at 1B

We'll be just fine
AstroAggie15
AG
TREX01 said:

Not worried. We're like bama with our depth. Next man up
bigbass1170
AG
It'll be a free for all once 9 am hits, but I've got a ONE TIME use code for today's presale since I can't make it to the home opener.

The code is 2D36FTQ

Presale link: https://www.mlb.com/astros/tickets/presale/single-game-tickets-wednesday?partnerId=ed-12304366-1056203813

Good luck.
. . .
Ag_07
AG
Giancarlo had a hamate injury back in 2015 and was out 4-6 weeks

From an article on Stanton's injury back then...

Quote:

Marlins backup infielder Jeff Baker knows a little about the injury, as he has suffered it in the past as well. Baker believes the recovery could be even faster.

"I've seen guys coming back anywhere from 2 1/2 weeks to six weeks," Baker said. "I had surgery. The biggest thing is you have the wound heal. After that, it's a pain tolerance thing, and you're good to go."

"You have to have it removed," Baker said. "They take it out. There is no strengthening, no therapy. I don't say this lightly, but if you're going to break something in your hand, the hamate is going to be the way to go."
shano0603
AG
Ag_07 said:

TREX01 said:

A) Still not sure if it's serious

B) It's still FEB

C) Marwin slots in at 1B

We'll be just fine

Yep. This is why depth is nice. Fisher or Marisnick will slide in nicely to start. If Correa or Altuve need a day off you can put White at first and have Marwin play there.
NotGibbs
RIP to my wallet after buying tickets this morning
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07
AG
So how does that work with a suspension?

I'm assuming his 5 games would carry over to when he's off the DL. I can't imagine he'd get credit for a suspension if he's not active.

And thanks bass for the code. I scooped up 4 tix. And yes...RIP to the credit card balance.
The Milkman
AG
So Yuli comes back and gets Stanton power? Sweet
MAROON
AG
Ag_07 said:

Giancarlo had a hamate injury back in 2015 and was out 4-6 weeks

From an article on Stanton's injury back then...

Quote:

Marlins backup infielder Jeff Baker knows a little about the injury, as he has suffered it in the past as well. Baker believes the recovery could be even faster.

"I've seen guys coming back anywhere from 2 1/2 weeks to six weeks," Baker said. "I had surgery. The biggest thing is you have the wound heal. After that, it's a pain tolerance thing, and you're good to go."

"You have to have it removed," Baker said. "They take it out. There is no strengthening, no therapy. I don't say this lightly, but if you're going to break something in your hand, the hamate is going to be the way to go."

as soon as I heard he was flying back to Houston because it was a hand and not a wrist injury, I was just about sure it was the hamate bone. Really common injury that thankfully has a short recovery time.
bullard21k
AG
Correct his suspension can't be carried out on the DL has to be activated so he will serve the 5 games after he is recovered.

It will be interesting to see what hinch does with the roster now. Logically fisher and Marisnick will platoon in left and we probably call up white to platoon with marwin on first base.

But Im not going to lie...it would be fun to see kyle tucker continue to kill baseballs this spring and get that last roster spot. Not going to happen but think it would fun to see him get a few weeks in the bigs
E
AG
As long as we're healthy by Sept/Oct I'm ok!
CFTXAG10
AG
TREX01
Wonder if Yuli hurt his hand making chinese eyes?
gougler08
AG
It's crazy to me that the surgery just removes the bone...didn't realize there were bones in the hand we didn't actually need
NotGibbs
Wouldn't calling Tucker up start the team control clock? No point in doing that if he's just going to be sent back down when Yulieski comes back
CFTXAG10
AG
So McTaggart is suggesting he cannot serve the suspension while on the DL, but I guess you could activate him once you know he is close to get the 5 games out of the way
shano0603
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

So McTaggart is suggesting he cannot serve the suspension while on the DL, but I guess you could activate him once you know he is close to get the 5 games out of the way

You could at least get a couple of the games out of the way if the rest of the team is rested and ready.
k20dub
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

That's what I was about to comment on. Can't they just say "oh his hand is healed! Start the suspension now", when really he's about a week away from being healthy?
Ag_07
AG
Yeah but we'd have to bump someone from the roster and go 5 games with essentially a 24 man roster.

Doable of course but not ideal.
NotGibbs
I don't know if there will be any rush to get Yuli back, in terms of activating him 5 days before he's scheduled to be 100%. I'm not sure if this is something that can be reagrivated, but missing a few extra games at the beginning of the season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
k20dub
AG
Good point. Didn't think about that
Mr.Ackar07
Forgive the dumb question, but why can't Yuli be active for the first 5 games of the season while serving his suspension, and then have him go on the DL?
Buck Compton
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Forgive the dumb question, but why can't Yuli be active for the first 5 games of the season while serving his suspension, and then have him go on the DL?
More likely, they will pull him off the DL a tad early, let him serve his 5, then insert him in the lineup. No reason to go the first 5 games of the season with just a 24 man roster.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
the bigger issue that i think will throw off yall's ideas is that he is going to have to do a minor "crash course" sring training when he is healthy. once that is all over then i would say he will already be fully healthy and that is when he would be added back to the roster for the suspension
Clavell
AG
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/astros-lose-gurriel-to-hand-surgery-but-have-plenty-of-depth-to-cover-first-base/

I like Yuli, but will be interesting to see how White, Reed or even Davis do with the opportunity.

"Facts no longer exist. Everything is a "point of view" now."
Daniel Suarez's 2011 "Freedom"
Ag_07
AG
Well...It's not a guarantee but I can say with some level of confidence I know what Reed and White will do with the opportunity.

I honestly rather let Marwin handle 1B and let Fisher have all the LF ABs. Bring up Davis and let him fill in wherever needed.
zgood10
AG
Springer seeing beachballs. Another double.
CFTXAG10
AG
And then a tootblan
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
CSWendt
AG
I don't think the MLB will allow the Astros to activate Yuli early to get his 5 games out of the way while he's injured. I could foresee an investigation taking place by MLB if that happened. Therefore, I doubt the Astros try and cheat the system in order to save a few mid season games
iBrad
AG
I had read where Yuli's suspension would open up a five-day window for someone to take his spot on the 25-man roster, but looking into it more, it appears that suspensions of his nature count against the 25-man roster. So once he's activated, we'll be a man down for five games.

I don't see any way to use his injury as an advantage. You absolutely have to make sure he's ready. I think the downside of the injury is that he's going to go from extended spring training, possibly some rehab starts, to sitting on the bench five games. Hopefully he's able to get some live BP during that time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.