Astros offseason thread

340,766 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shouldn't sign stealing be part of the game? I mean if your signs aren't good enough to mask the call, perhaps develop a better system?
Farmer1906
AG
gougler08 said:

Shouldn't sign stealing be part of the game? I mean if your signs aren't good enough to mask the call, perhaps develop a better system?
I am 100% for the runner on 2nd stealing signs. I am also 100% for the dugout stealing signs from the 3rd base coach.

I am NOT camera in CF looking at the catcher's signs and send it to the dugout so they can send it to the pitcher.

Which is what the Sox got busted doing and what the Yanks were accused of doing. As advanced as our team is, I wouldn't be shocked if we were too.
Mathguy64
AG
Sign stealing has always been a part of the game. The difference now is you can hire a 22 year old statistical analyst to write a program to analyze the inherent code and break it much faster. And once broken use it. Knowing when someone is stealing a base or hit and run can produce dividends.
gougler08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

gougler08 said:

I am 100% for the runner on 2nd stealing signs. I am also 100% for the dugout stealing signs from the 3rd base coach.

I am NOT camera in CF looking at the catcher's signs and send it to the dugout so they can send it to the pitcher.

Which is what the Sox got busted doing and what the Yanks were accused of doing. As advanced as our team is, I wouldn't be shocked if we were too.
Agreed, technology shouldn't be allowed, but having people watching the coaches/catcher and picking up on things should be fair game
AustinCountyAg
do you guys actually wear baseball jerseys that yall buy or just have them framed and hung on the wall? I feel like only children should be wearing the jerseys, especially if you're ten years older than the guy who name is on the back
Ag_07
AG
To combat sign stealing isn't it as easy as changing the sequence between every inning?

Hell or the catcher can just stand up and give signs every pitch like he does on some infield plays. Talk about slowing the game down.

And FWIW does pace of play really make a difference when it's a good game? Game 5 was a GD marathon but it was a damn good game. After it was said and done no one was bltching about it being 5+ hours
AstroAggie15
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

do you guys actually wear baseball jerseys that yall buy or just have them framed and hung on the wall? I feel like only children should be wearing the jerseys, especially if you're ten years older than the guy who name is on the back
I only wear jerseys with a blank back (no name or number).
WES2006AG
AG
Ag_07 said:

To combat sign stealing isn't it as easy as changing the sequence between every inning?

Hell or the catcher can just stand up and give signs every pitch like he does on some infield plays. Talk about slowing the game down.

And FWIW does pace of play really make a difference when it's a good game? Game 5 was a GD marathon but it was a damn good game. After it was said and done no one was bltching about it being 5+ hours
Yes, pace of play matters. It doesn't matter at all for playoff games but I can't tell you how many weeknight regular season games I have attended that didn't end until after 10:30pm. It will impact people's decision to attend the game or not, especially for our fans that live in far flung suburbs.
iBrad
AG
All of the major sports know that offense generates interest. That's why you see so many rule changes in the NFL and NBA favoring the offense. Those leagues, however, have play clocks that keep the games moving along and game clocks that control the length of the game.

Baseball doesn't. Therefore, more offense leads to more plate appearances and usually more pitching changes, which leads to longer games. While baseball purists can enjoy a good 1-0 pitchers duel, MLB isn't winning over new fans that way. It takes offense.

So if it's the pitchers unhappy with the new speed up rules, then MLB is getting it right.
agproducer
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I only wear jerseys with a blank back (no name or number).

I have both, and will wear both.

For me, it's being a fan of the team and of the player.
college of AG
AG
My only jersey is Nolan Ryan, just to make sure I don't violate the age rule..
cc10106
AustinCountyAg said:

I only wear them if i am also wearing cargo shorts/pants and Crocks or some sort of open-toe shoes.
MAROON
AG
gougler08 said:

Farmer1906 said:

gougler08 said:

Agreed, technology shouldn't be allowed, but having people watching the coaches/catcher and picking up on things should be fair game
as should the pitcher being able to drill a guy in the ribs who was on second base stealing signs, when he comes up to bat again. Unfortunately that kind of policing has been strongly discouraged.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

as should the pitcher being able to drill a guy in the ribs who was on second base stealing signs, when he comes up to bat again. Unfortunately that kind of policing has been strongly discouraged.
I don't think it is unfortunate.

And I always wonder, is there another sport or another situation in baseball where "stealing signs" gets you in such trouble?
BowSowy
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

I don't think it is unfortunate.

And I always wonder, is there another sport or another situation in baseball where "stealing signs" gets you in such trouble?
There isn't a direct comparison, but I think the Patriots lost draft picks for taping another team's practice or walk through.
AstroAggie15
AG
cc10106 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I only wear them if i am also wearing cargo shorts/pants and Crocks or some sort of open-toe shoes.

Do you live in Houston? Astros jersey, shorts, and flip flops is my go to in mid July for a baseball game.

Save your pompous jeans and tennis shoes for the Toyota Center

zgood10
AG
Forrest Whitley suspended 50 games for violating minor league drug policy, per Buster Olney
agdaddy04
AG
Whitley suspended 50 games
Farmer1906
AG
Noooo!!!!
gougler08
AG
Well he wasn't a realistic contributor this year anyways, but that still hurts
Farmer1906
AG
gougler08 said:

Well he wasn't a realistic contributor this year anyways, but that still hurts
But he was probably going to crack the bigs this year. They almost brought him up last year when McCullers was slow coming back.
E
AG
zgood10 said:

Forrest Whitley suspended 50 games for violating minor league drug policy, per Buster Olney

Do we hope it was weed or steroids??

My vote is weed
astros4545
AG
I think they usually say when it's PEDs

This is probably weed, or meth
Farmer1906
AG
Now, why would you say meth of all things?
shano0603
AG
Kind of sounds like adderall to me
astros4545
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Now, why would you say meth of all things?

Just kidding
NotGibbs
cap-n-jack
His agent is saying Whitley took an unknown stimulant. So Aderall is probably headed in the right direction.
tjack16
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I'm only 23, and I wear jerseys with both no name and a name on the back.

I have the blue Correa jersey, white Verlander with the world series champions patch, and a plain orange one with no name. As well as the Gray A&M baseball jersey with no name or number
iBrad
AG

TREX01
Why fight the ruling if you know you were in the wrong?
WES2006AG
AG
TREX01 said:

Why fight the ruling if you know you were in the wrong?
I would imagine he thinks the fact that he was unaware (somehow) matters. It doesn't, most of us wouldn't just take something without knowing what it was or if it was banned.
Hickory High
AG
Adderall is great. I don't really know much about baseball, but screw the MLB for such a ridiculously harsh suspension for it.

So doctors are perfectly okay with prescribing tons of the stuff to elementary school children, but full-grown adults in peak physical condition is a no go for the MLB?
NotGibbs
Blake Allemand was suspended a few years ago in the minors for adderall as well
Mr.Ackar07
NotGibbs said:

Blake Allemand was suspended a few years ago in the minors for adderall as well
You mean Mikey Reynolds

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.