Astros offseason thread

351,258 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Look at Altuve as a perfect example. His swing had a slight uppercut something like 10% he has doubled that. If you watch MLB Network they talk about this all the time.
Farmer1906
AG
I am just giving yall a hard time. Old school baseball and dumb little league coaches always taught kids to swing "flat". Your swing should match the angle of the baseball for the greatest chance to make contact. Great ballplayers have been doing that since the beginning of time.
oldschool87
AG
Mike Schmidt, Hank Aaron, and Dimagio said to say hi...

Farmer1906
AG
No, they don't

But physics does

shano0603
AG
Jim Edmonds upper cut or gtfo
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Agnzona said:

With everyone going to the uppercut swing I wonder if pitchers will bail on working the corners with breaking balls and will instead throw heat high and low? That could change things.
The trend is already showing. More pitchers are working up in the zone at a higher rate. The Astros are some leading the way on some of this.

Big part of Fiers success when he had it this year was his 87mph high "heat"
Oyster DuPree
AG
shano0603 said:

Yeah, I wish someone would give Jim Edmonds an uppercut alright... not me because he's probably still much faster and stronger than me. But someone
Psych
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

shano0603 said:

Yeah, I wish someone would give Jim Edmonds an uppercut alright... not me because he's probably still much faster and stronger than me. But someone

What's wrong with Jim Edmonds?
iBrad
AG
Astros killer
Ag_07
AG
iBrad said:

Astros killer

Both at the plate and in CF

He's pretty high on my list of most hated opponents.
WES2006AG
AG
That catch on Ausmus in game 7 of the 04 ALCS still haunts my nightmares.
Farmer1906
AG
His oppo field dinky HR in the Crawford boxes got me pretty good.
AgDoc03
AG
WES2006AG said:

That catch on Ausmus in game 7 of the 04 NLCS still haunts my nightmares.
FIFY
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NotGibbs
I remember getting pissed off as a kid turning on Slugfest 04 (greatest baseball video game of all time btw) and having to watch Edmonds in the intro reel
WES2006AG
AG
AgDoc03 said:

WES2006AG said:

FIFY
Good point. You become World Champions and everything proceeding gets a bit hazy.
AgDoc03
AG
WES2006AG said:

AgDoc03 said:

WES2006AG said:

FIFY
Good point. You become World Champions and everything preceding gets a bit hazy.
FIFY again
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CFTXAG10
AG
Looks like ATT SportsNet SW has an app now and you can watch Rockets and Astros with a paid cable or satellite subscription. I haven't tested it out because Comcast isn't listed as a provider yet but it appears that DirecTV is.
Texan1976
It felt like Edmonds hit about half of his career homers against us.
JJxvi
AG
This is going to shock you, but Edmonds did hit a high percentage (40%) of his career homeruns against just 5 teams (Chicago, Cincinnati, Houston, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee)
W
AG
what was so annoying about Edmonds...the announcers and pundits would go on and on about his great catches and so forth...

but Willy Taveras or Michael Bourn would have raced back for the same fly ball...checked their cell...ordered a pizza...picked up their dry cleaning...and then hauled in the catch.

those would not have been highlight reel catches for a CF with the expected speed of a centerfielder
Ag_07
AG
Also remember if it wasn't for his walkoff in Gm 6 there wouldn't have been a Gm 7 and we'd have been WS bound.

That's the thing about Edmonds...All of his highlights both at the plate and in the field always seemed to come at the clutchest of moments.
gougler08
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Looks like ATT SportsNet SW has an app now and you can watch Rockets and Astros with a paid cable or satellite subscription. I haven't tested it out because Comcast isn't listed as a provider yet but it appears that DirecTV is.
Will definitely be using my parents DirecTV login for baseball games...at least until they incorporate DirecTV Now as an option
Mathguy64
AG
JJxvi said:

This is going to shock you, but Edmonds did hit a high percentage (40%) of his career homeruns against just 5 teams (Chicago, Cincinnati, Houston, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee)
With the teams he played for, I bet he played 40% of his games again just those 5 teams.
shano0603
AG
NotGibbs said:

I remember getting pissed off as a kid turning on Slugfest 04 (greatest baseball video game of all time btw) and having to watch Edmonds in the intro reel

Ken Griffey Jr. Major League Baseball on N64
MLB The Show
Super Baseball 2020 on Sega Genesis
NotGibbs
shano0603 said:

NotGibbs said:

MLB The Show

I must've missed the part in those games where your players could catch on fire or punch people
BowSowy
AG
mathguy86 said:

JJxvi said:

With the teams he played for, I bet he played 40% of his games again just those 5 teams.
I think that was the point
shano0603
AG
NotGibbs said:

shano0603 said:

NotGibbs said:

MLB The Show

I must've missed the part in those games where your players could catch on fire or punch people

Super Baseball 2020 was robots playing baseball and they did catch on fire from time to time.
gigemJTH12
AG

NotGibbs
Its really a shame that things never clicked for him. He was supposed to be the safe pick of that draft. But that's the way baseball go
Farmer1906
AG

Just think about Bryant, Correa, and Altuve in the same IF. Poor unlucky Bregs get moved the LF. We could have been even more stacked.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Just think about Bryant, Correa, and Altuve in the same IF. Poor unlucky Bregs get moved the LF. We could have been even more stacked.
This is one draft pick that would have made us pretty much unstoppable. We would have made a playoff run in 2016 for sure. I'd say Bregman would be moved to OF, or maybe they convert Bryant to a first basemen. However, Bryant is really good in the outfield, so that would have also been a possibility.
NotGibbs
I see what y'all are saying, but I think it's very unlikely the Astros would have drafted Bregman if they already had KB. Also, who knows if we would have ended up with Yuli.

I get that it's someth to talk about during the offseason, but that one pick may have had a much bigger roster impact than just Appel vs Bryant
Farmer1906
AG
They had no issue drafting Bregs with Correa established as the guy. It wasn't all that long ago they were working out Bregman in the OF. Our team seems like one that takes the best player and lets everything else work itself out. It's all hypothetical. No one really knows what would have happened.
irish pete ag06
AG
NotGibbs said:

I see what y'all are saying, but I think it's very unlikely the Astros would have drafted Bregman if they already had KB. Also, who knows if we would have ended up with Yuli.

I get that it's someth to talk about during the offseason, but that one pick may have had a much bigger roster impact than just Appel vs Bryant
You're exactly right. If they draft Bryant, butterfly effect means they may not have drafted Aiken the next year.
NotGibbs
Sure, but its not a life changing difference moving from SS to 3rd. But if you already had Correa at SS, KB at 3rd, why wouldn't you draft a guy like Benintendi (he's been great as well), who is a natural outfielder, if you were going for a OFer. But considering the Astros also drafted Tucker that draft, I imagine they would've drafted a pitcher if they had KB.

If the stros drafted a pitcher, you're looking at possibly either Dillon Tate, Carson Fulmer, or Tyler Jay (top 3 pitchers drafted). Fulmer has reached the big leagues, and shown some success, but the other guys have had their ups and downs, and are still quite a ways from the majors.

Ya it's fun to play the what if game, but who knows how things could have played out differently

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.