Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

408,427 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TexasAggie008
TxAG#2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YouBet said:

TxAG#2011 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2020/06/29/dallas-bar-owners-plan-to-sue-gov-greg-abbott-for-shutting-them-down/

After having been to a few bars I am confident the majority of spread is happening via bars. There are no precautions being taken at most of them at all.

They need to have a bar curfew so they can be open during the day but not for going out at night.

What's the point of that? Are we going to start recommending sun tanning at night as well as a compromise?
Have you ever been to a bar?
YouBet
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

YouBet said:

TxAG#2011 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2020/06/29/dallas-bar-owners-plan-to-sue-gov-greg-abbott-for-shutting-them-down/

After having been to a few bars I am confident the majority of spread is happening via bars. There are no precautions being taken at most of them at all.

They need to have a bar curfew so they can be open during the day but not for going out at night.

What's the point of that? Are we going to start recommending sun tanning at night as well as a compromise?
Have you ever been to a bar?

Saturday and Sunday during the day are better than nothing, but don't see the point. If we are leaving open during the day simply because foot traffic will be less you are already underwater. You are basically forcing bars to exist solely off of those two daytime periods. Doubt many can survive that.
Proposition Joe
The point would be... some income is better than no income.
FTAco07
AG
The big difference now is bars could also do food and drinks to go. I know there are more than a few bars I enjoy going to for brunch/lunch on the weekend or happy hour that are plenty "restaurant like" with good food and relaxed/small crowds. Libertine, Old Monk, and Skellig (never been at night when it's definitely more packed) are three that come to mind with great food, good beer selection, and patios that could operate during the day/evening (if they chose to) with a curfew at some point around 8 or 9pm.
drewser95
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Unless you don't have enough to offset the additional expenses of labor, etc. That's why a lot of restaurants won't open even at 50%
PatAg
AG
The thing is, there is basically no chance any of these bars are enforcing any of the rules. I walked by multiple bars the other weekend, and it looked like business as usual, whereas the restaurants had less tables and were spaced.

Maybe if the bars made it to where the bartop was closed, and you could only sit at tables (and had less tables) to enforce the spacing it would work. How do you enforce that though?

I do sympathize with the bar owners, and restaurant owners though. I just don't think there is a great solution.
FTAco07
AG
drewser95 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Unless you don't have enough to offset the additional expenses of labor, etc. That's why a lot of restaurants won't open even at 50%
Well at that point. At least up to the bar owner to make the business choice rather than the government forcing unequal treatment upon them.
planoaggie123
AG
We are well beyond the point of humans making decisions for themselves....
YouBet
AG
We are going to end up with Prohibition Speakeasys out of this.
FTAco07
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Edit: mistaken poster identity
planoaggie123
AG
FTAco07 said:

planoaggie123 said:

If that's how you feel then I hear China and North Korea are great places to live.

I wear a mask when out in public and don't even have a problem with municipalities mandating that people wear a mask if you want to go in to a business. What I do have a problem with is non-equal treatment of businesses under the law and the government forcibly suspending some people's ability to earn a living.
Swing and a miss bud.

I am 1000% against government intervention in sweeping policy to stop business or mandate masks. Unfortunately our government has already set that standard and they are making decisions for us...our elected leaders are allowing / enforcing it.
FTAco07
AG
My mistake, I mistook you for an earlier comment supporting the bar closure.
planoaggie123
AG
No problem. Hopefully I didnt come across that way. I think the bar closures / restaurant limitations are wrong.

My most lberal leaning view on this issue is that I do wear masks when asked/required, w/o complaint. I do it because many businesses have been given no choice and I am not going to penalize them for having poor state government responses....
Birdbear
AG
Anyone know places in Dallas that will test without symptoms? Employer wants me to get a test before coming back to the office after weekend travel for the 4th.
Proposition Joe
drewser95 said:

Proposition Joe said:

But the ones that can still be profitable at reduced capacity would then have the choice to open.

The option to open at reduced capacity > No option to open at all.
Proposition Joe
PatAg said:

The thing is, there is basically no chance any of these bars are enforcing any of the rules. I walked by multiple bars the other weekend, and it looked like business as usual, whereas the restaurants had less tables and were spaced.

Maybe if the bars made it to where the bartop was closed, and you could only sit at tables (and had less tables) to enforce the spacing it would work. How do you enforce that though?

I do sympathize with the bar owners, and restaurant owners though. I just don't think there is a great solution.

Many bars weren't following the rules, because many bars are run by people who don't really care about the rules.

If all bar owners had taken it seriously and taken the proper steps and regulations, we likely wouldn't be closing down again. I feel real bad for the owners who actually run a tight ship and were following the rules and are now getting tossed in with the bars that saw the re-opening as an excuse to do whatever they hell they wanted.

One of my good friends owns two bars in FW and had just opened up a third. He made absolutely sure everything was running under the proper guidelines. He's now having to shut back down because of the owners who thought they were above it all.
True Anomaly
AG
YouBet said:

Well, it is the 20's again
TexasAggie008
AG
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/505507-michigan-shuts-down-most-indoor-bar-service-in-bid-to-prevent-virus

Even Michigan's crazy governor would be allowing for ice house, etc (outside portions) to be open
drewser95
AG
True Anomaly said:

YouBet said:

Well, it is the 20's again
Made that same observation back in March while I was walking down an alley toward Deep Ellum Distillery (for hand sanitizer...which at the time was more valuable than vodka).
duck79
AG
https://banned.video/watch?id=5efab695672706002f367a0a

Is this new info?

It's a link to a video of Collin County discussing the reclassification of COVID. The claim is that the reclassification is causing a 15x increase.

NM just noticed it was from a May 18 commissioners court so it has been discussed. Carry on
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
What's the link?
Ol Jock 99
AG
We are officially in "exponential growth stage". 300 new cases daily late last week. 600+ for the first time Tues. 700+ yesterday. Word is 1000+ today.

Buckle up.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Thanks protestors! Started a conversation. And restarted a pandemic.
AggieFrog
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

Thanks protestors! Started a conversation. And restarted a pandemic.

Far more than protestors are to blame.
DFWTLR
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

We are officially in "exponential growth stage". 300 new cases daily late last week. 600+ for the first time Tues. 700+ yesterday. Word is 1000+ today.

Buckle up.
Maybe I'm an idiot (likely), but Clay is saying testing is taking 10 days or more, so wouldn't it be a good thing if we are seeing large case numbers like this with a flat ICU rate and relatively flat death rate?

He also reported 513 patients in the hospital today, yesterday was 669, so there's probably something wrong with one of those numbers. Either way still seems low for a population of 2.6 million.

Ol Jock 99
AG
The normal tests are getting SLOW. Rapid tests aren't. Either way, the growth curve ain't looking good.

You are right that hospitals are key to watch. I can tell you that healthcare workers are getting tired big time.

https://urbanpolicyresearch.org/covid19/county-data-dashboard
DFWTLR
AG
How many of those could be rapid tests though? 10% at most? I've knows at least 10 people in the last couple weeks who have been exposed and couldn't find a rapid test for under $500.
harge57
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Buckle up.

Are we still talking about cases? How many more tests have been taken? Growth in cases could statistically mean absolutely nothing.

What are the numbers of people hospitalized FOR covid and what are covid death numbers?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Dude, is testing capacity higher now than in March? Yes.

Is it significantly higher now than a week ago?

We aren't comparing to April. We are comparing to 10 days ago.
harge57
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Dude, is testing capacity higher now than in March? Yes.

Is it significantly higher now than a week ago?

We aren't comparing to April. We are comparing to 10 days ago.

Good question. It very well may be. The only info I have found was a manipulated chart where they took the antibody tests out of the numbers starting May 20 to make the numbers look worse. Just a little hidden foot note on the graph.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Wouldn't that make the numbers better? I am not be understanding how that makes them worse.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

Wouldn't that make the numbers better? I am not be understanding how that makes them worse.

Percent positive is going up. Some might be manipulation, but we are definitely spiking.
harge57
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

It shows a lower number of overall tests. This is just total number of tests. I can guarantee you any one positive from an antibody test is still being counted as a case.
harge57
AG
A bit of anecdotal info from a Dallas ER doc.

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3122478

They are testing everyone that walks through the door.

My anecdotal evidence... 82 year old grand father has 0 symptoms. Goes in for his normal back therapy stuff last week. Test him and he is positive. Never had any symptoms. They hospitalize him he checked himself out a day later.
FincAg
AG
Part of testing just about anyone who walks through the door, staff not assigned to the covid unit were coming in contact with positive patients. Patients that passed the q&a screening. Which then puts that medical professional on the bench for 2 to 3 weeks, shortening staff, putting more pressure on the rest of the team and causing a shortage of OTs, Speech, PTs, general surgeons, charge nurses, ER nurses for example.

It is not just about who lives and dies from covid. Hospitals can not operate without staff; staff can not work if infected.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.