Recent COVID 19 experience from an ER doc

11,324 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
Doug Ross
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So it has been a while since I have been on this website. When Covid started to hit back in March-April, going to work and then coming home and interacting/reading more about Covid just stressed me out even further. I had a few occasions where I would lash out and say rude things to other users for no reason, so I put myself in timeout for a few months.

That said, I did want to just share my own personal experience in the ED over the past few months.

So I am an ER doc in one of the major hospitals in Dallas. I work about 13-14 shifts a month and have logged probably 500 hours in the ER since all this started. I want to also preface this by saying, all of what I am going to say is based on my own personal experiences in Dallas. I have been following the numbers like all of you have, but my opinions are strictly anecdotal. I know for a fact some of my ER doc friends in Houston/SA have had different experiences. I guess I will start with what I am seeing now, start riffing, and see where this goes.

So as of the month of June, we are definitely seeing a higher volume of positive tests. The reason for seeing a higher volume of "positive tests" is twofold, #1-more people are sick aka the disease is spreading, and #2-we are pretty much testing everyone who walks through the door now. Now back in March/April, I was still seeing a ton of people who I thought had Covid, but we weren't testing any of them. I would shoot a chest xray of the patient, look at their vitals, and if they weren't toxic appearing, I would explain the disease process to the patient, would give azithro at the time, discharge them, and basically would tell the patient to come back to the ER when they were too short of breath to talk, or too weak to walk to the bathroom. For that reason, I believe we are definitely seeing a higher volume of covid + patients as the disease is now more prevalent, however I don't think the "positive cases" is a true accurate reflection of how bad it has gotten, because I was rarely testing those people back in March-Early May. I think it is getting bad, but not as bad as the numbers reflect.

Of note, there is also a handful of patients who have come to the ER for something unrelated to covid (broken arm, car accident, missed dialysis, kidney infection), who we automatically test for covid because they are being admitted to the hospital. I've seen a handful of these patients test positive, even though their reason for being in the hospital has nothing to do with the disease. To my knowledge, these patient's are still being counted as "covid admissions" even though they aren't there because of covid, they were asymptomatic carriers, but its now a positive patient and we move them to the covid area of the hospital.

Why are less people dying if the disease is spreading more? I have two theories. Probably the number one thing is our understanding of the disease and the treatment strategies. My hospital has learned a lot by what happened in Italy and NYC. The big thing has to do with intubating patients and putting them on vents.

So back in March/April, our agreed upon treatment method, was if a patient was requiring more than 6 liters of supplemental oxygen, we would just intubate them. The reason for this was the fear that giving higher flows of oxygen, including CPAP/BiPAP/Hi Flo O2, would aerosolize the oxygen through out the entire ER/ICU thus spreading it to more patients and staff...... We are now realizing that early intubation is a bad thing. Previously we were using O2 saturation (a vital sign) to determine when someone should be intubated. We are now using other assessments such as how hard someone is working to breath, their mental status, or acidosis in the blood. The reason for this is because Covid is causing something called silent hypoxemia. Meaning, when you take the patient's oxygen saturation, it could be 70% but the patient looks fine and is not having any shortness of breath (usually we get worried when its under 88%). You would think someone with an O2 sat of 70% would be turning blue and huffing/puffing, but they aren't with covid. We are now letting these patients basically just ride on supplemental O2 and not intubating them. I think this is saving lives. We also know hydroxy doesn't work, dexamethasone may help, and we have covalescent plasma.

2nd theory.- the virus is becoming less deadly. Now my microbio/infectious disease docs could probably correct me on a lot of this, (I am going off first year of med school here) but it seems like the virus is becoming less virulent. It seems like we are seeing a higher volume of patients, but they are less sick. I haven't intubated a patient since April. I've probably sent 10 total to the ICU since May. So one idea is that NYC got hit with a more deadly strain of Covid, and we got the less deadly version. Or we got the same version, but over long periods of time, as the virus enters thousands of people, it goes through millions of RNA replications within our cells. And every time the virus replicates in our body, there is a very small chance the virus mutates. And over four months, is the virus slowly mutating out of a less deadly version of itself until it is finally gone?

Kinda going back to hospitalization numbers. One thing we are seeing is a high number of "covid admissions". Yes this is true. But a majority of these patients are staying in the hospital 1-3 days and getting discharged home. We aren't having a prolonged stay in the hospital for most patients. Basically what is happening is we get a big batch of covid patients one day, while at the same time a big batch from a few days ago are being discharged. It is a revolving door. They aren't stacking up on each other and clogging our hospital up. We are definitely very busy but we aren't overflowing. To my knowledge my hospital has aprox 15-20% of our beds occupied by Covid.

So to summarize, I feel like I am definitely seeing a higher volume of patients with covid. They are less sick than they were in early March/April. This thing could turn on a dime at any moment. I feel our hospital is busy but we aren't drowning. I feel the numbers are increasing but the numbers given out to the public are not an accurate representation about what is actually going on. Would also like to say I am by no way trying to downplay the disease. We are still seeing the disease do amazing things. I am 100% still seeing young healthy people get sick to the point that they need to come in the hospital. Have had two 30 year olds in the past month who presented with covid symptoms and were in complete renal falure (Crt of 15-19 for each), had a 40 year old who was positive with a celiac artery thrombosis, a few elderly adults who presented with encephalitis, and a guy who had a massive heart attack. The disease still isn't to be taken at all lightly and it continues to surprise me everyday. Luckily myself and my fiance (ER nurse), have all been healthy. We have probably taken care of a combined 500 covid patients to this point and I have only had one coworker who has gotten covid, and she is doing great now., aka masks work. Sorry for the long article. Stay safe everyone. Gig'em

TLDR- wear a mask and wash your hands if you want Aggie football

-doug
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Double Twin Marine
AG
So it is true, doctors do get the nurses.

Oh wait, that wasn't the point here. Thanks for all your doing and good to see your reports again. Continue to be safe and take care
bullard21k
AG
Doug Ross said:

So it has been a while since I have been on this website. When Covid started to hit back in March-April, going to work and then coming home and interacting/reading more about Covid just stressed me out even further. I had a few occasions where I would lash out and say rude things to other users for no reason, so I put myself in timeout for a few months.

That said, I did want to just share my own personal experience in the ED over the past few months.

So I am an ER doc in one of the major hospitals in Dallas. I work about 13-14 shifts a month and have logged probably 500 hours in the ER since all this started. I want to also preface this by saying, all of what I am going to say is based on my own personal experiences in Dallas. I have been following the numbers like all of you have, but my opinions are strictly anecdotal. I know for a fact some of my ER doc friends in Houston/SA have had different experiences. I guess I will start with what I am seeing now, start riffing, and see where this goes.

So as of the month of June, we are definitely seeing a higher volume of positive tests. The reason for seeing a higher volume of "positive tests" is twofold, #1-more people are sick aka the disease is spreading, and #2-we are pretty much testing everyone who walks through the door now. Now back in March/April, I was still seeing a ton of people who I thought had Covid, but we weren't testing any of them. I would shoot a chest xray of the patient, look at their vitals, and if they weren't toxic appearing, I would explain the disease process to the patient, would give azithro at the time, discharge them, and basically would tell the patient to come back to the ER when they were too short of breath to talk, or too weak to walk to the bathroom. For that reason, I believe we are definitely seeing a higher volume of covid + patients as the disease is now more prevalent, however I don't think the "positive cases" is a true accurate reflection of how bad it has gotten, because I was rarely testing those people back in March-Early May. I think it is getting bad, but not as bad as the numbers reflect.

Of note, there is also a handful of patients who have come to the ER for something unrelated to covid (broken arm, car accident, missed dialysis, kidney infection), who we automatically test for covid because they are being admitted to the hospital. I've seen a handful of these patients test positive, even though their reason for being in the hospital has nothing to do with the disease. To my knowledge, these patient's are still being counted as "covid admissions" even though they aren't there because of covid, they were asymptomatic carriers, but its now a positive patient and we move them to the covid area of the hospital.

Why are less people dying if the disease is spreading more? I have two theories. Probably the number one thing is our understanding of the disease and the treatment strategies. My hospital has learned a lot by what happened in Italy and NYC. The big thing has to do with intubating patients and putting them on vents.

So back in March/April, our agreed upon treatment method, was if a patient was requiring more than 6 liters of supplemental oxygen, we would just intubate them. The reason for this was the fear that giving higher flows of oxygen, including CPAP/BiPAP/Hi Flo O2, would aerosolize the oxygen through out the entire ER/ICU thus spreading it to more patients and staff...... We are now realizing that early intubation is a bad thing. Previously we were using O2 saturation (a vital sign) to determine when someone should be intubated. We are now using other assessments such as how hard someone is working to breath, their mental status, or acidosis in the blood. The reason for this is because Covid is causing something called silent hypoxemia. Meaning, when you take the patient's oxygen saturation, it could be 70% but the patient looks fine and is not having any shortness of breath (usually we get worried when its under 88%). You would think someone with an O2 sat of 70% would be turning blue and huffing/puffing, but they aren't with covid. We are now letting these patients basically just ride on supplemental O2 and not intubating them. I think this is saving lives. We also know hydroxy doesn't work, dexamethasone may help, and we have covalescent plasma.

2nd theory.- the virus is becoming less deadly. Now my microbio/infectious disease docs could probably correct me on a lot of this, (I am going off first year of med school here) but it seems like the virus is becoming less virulent. It seems like we are seeing a higher volume of patients, but they are less sick. I haven't intubated a patient since April. I've probably sent 10 total to the ICU since May. So one idea is that NYC got hit with a more deadly strain of Covid, and we got the less deadly version. Or we got the same version, but over long periods of time, as the virus enters thousands of people, it goes through millions of RNA replications within our cells. And every time the virus replicates in our body, there is a very small chance the virus mutates. And over four months, is the virus slowly mutating out of a less deadly version of itself until it is finally gone?

Kinda going back to hospitalization numbers. One thing we are seeing is a high number of "covid admissions". Yes this is true. But a majority of these patients are staying in the hospital 1-3 days and getting discharged home. We aren't having a prolonged stay in the hospital for most patients. Basically what is happening is we get a big batch of covid patients one day, while at the same time a big batch from a few days ago are being discharged. It is a revolving door. They aren't stacking up on each other and clogging our hospital up. We are definitely very busy but we aren't overflowing. To my knowledge my hospital has aprox 15-20% of our beds occupied by Covid.

So to summarize, I feel like I am definitely seeing a higher volume of patients with covid. They are less sick than they were in early March/April. This thing could turn on a dime at any moment. I feel our hospital is busy but we aren't drowning. I feel the numbers are increasing but the numbers given out to the public are not an accurate representation about what is actually going on. Would also like to say I am by no way trying to downplay the disease. We are still seeing the disease do amazing things. I am 100% still seeing young healthy people get sick to the point that they need to come in the hospital. Have had two 30 year olds in the past month who presented with covid symptoms and were in complete renal falure (Crt of 15-19 for each), had a 40 year old who was positive with a celiac artery thrombosis, a few elderly adults who presented with encephalitis, and a guy who had a massive heart attack. The disease still isn't to be taken at all lightly and it continues to surprise me everyday. Luckily myself and my fiance (ER nurse), have all been healthy. We have probably taken care of a combined 500 covid patients to this point and I have only had one coworker who has gotten covid, and she is doing great now., aka masks work. Sorry for the long article. Stay safe everyone. Gig'em

-doug

Thanks for sharing doc. Are you seeing many patients with covid turning lungs into forms of pneumonia?
TxAG#2011
What are your ER friends in Houston/San Antonio seeing that's different?
Doug Ross
AG
Yes so the very sick patients have terrible chest X-rays suggesting a bilateral viral pneumonia. We give these patients a dose of antibiotics in the ER to cover for potential bacterial pneumonia but it's probably not doing anything. It's a viral pneumonia to which the only real treatment is supportive care.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Keegan99
AG
Great info. Thank you!
bullard21k
AG
Doug Ross said:

Yes so the very sick patients have terrible chest X-rays suggesting a bilateral viral pneumonia. We give these patients a dose of antibiotics in the ER to cover for potential bacterial pneumonia but it's probably not doing anything. It's a viral pneumonia to which the only real treatment is supportive care.

Supportive care Meaning outlook isn't good for these patients and we can't do anything or we are just trying to support their immune systems so they can fight it off?
Forum Troll
AG
Thanks for the info. I too have wondered if we are seeing a more virulent less deadly strain of late.
Keegan99
AG
Have you noticed any demographic trends? Age? Occupations? Ethnicities?

Also any thoughts on viral load affect on severity? Is it possible exposures now are simply less intense?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
AW Aggie said:

Btw, I haven't got my tux yet. Don't be mad at me <3
Doug Ross
AG
Don't look at me when nurse Carol murders you for screwing up our ceremony
AgsMyDude
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

What are your ER friends in Houston/San Antonio seeing that's different?

Also wondering. Most of the OP goes against the grain of the other Docs who post.

Also, OP thanks for all you do!
SVaggie84
AG
Thank you so much for this post. I love getting info from doctors in the trenches. Please keep us updated as this thing progresses.

Thanks again for the info and all of your hard work and dedication.
TPS Reports
AG
Thanks for your perspective and thanks for doing what you do.
AGinNB
bay fan
S
Thanks Doug. Hopefully your wear a mask gets through to some people.
Touchless
AG
Thanks for posting. One thing I didn't see you notice but seems to also have a significant impact is the age of those being infected currently. Overall, the average age of someone testing positive had dropped significantly from back in March and April. The younger demographics seem to not be nearly as impacted as the elderly.

When you look at NYC, they infected tens of thousands of people in nursing homes so their average age was very high and the death rate also matched that.

All that to say/ask, have you noticed any change in the demographics of those testing positive? Are those being admitted to ICU generally older?

I just think this is a significant part of the virus and how it is currently spreading around and why we're not seeing as bad of results as early on. In addition to the increased knowledge on how to treat and manage it.
YouBet
AG
Doug Ross said:

-doug
Hi Ketch.
HotardAg07
agsalaska
agsalaska
AG
Thanks Doc
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
hph6203
AG
AW Aggie said:

Oh wait, that wasn't the point here. Thanks for all your doing and good to see your reports again. Continue to be safe and take care
100% was my ultimate take away. I've had several women at work try to attract me, but I like my money more than I like them. Doctors do it different since they're in more demand, in more ways than one.
sloppyjoe
AG
Doug Ross said:

-doug
Rule #1 Doc.
Ole Army 72
AG
Doc Ross's post is way too objective for this forum.
delta139
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Doc- and any other docs on this board.

We have seen about a 3-4x increase in orders for convalescent plasma over the past 2 weeks.

Any chance you would be willing to help reach out to your patients that are known recovered and help refer them to donate?

I'm happy to provide instructions. As this isn't a typical type of donor, we really need some help from those treating patients to get donors across the threshold.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Doc- and any other docs on this board.

We have seen about a 3-4x increase in orders for convalescent plasma over the past 2 weeks.

Any chance you would be willing to help reach out to your patients that are known recovered and help refer them to donate?

I'm happy to provide instructions. As this isn't a typical type of donor, we really need some help from those treating patients to get donors across the threshold.
PM me
Not a Bot
AG
AW Aggie said:

Unfortunately from personal experience this doesn't work for male nurses and hot female doctors.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
PM sent. Thx
Doug Ross
AG
AW Aggie said:

The key for a nurse to get a doctor is to get them when they are still residents.
Doug Ross
AG
Keegan99 said:

Have you noticed any demographic trends? Age? Occupations? Ethnicities?

Also any thoughts on viral load affect on severity? Is it possible exposures now are simply less intense?
The Hispanic population in my area appears to be most affected. I believe this is all social. They are working blue collar jobs, are still going out into the field regularly, live in small quarters, and have multiple family members of multiple generations living together. All these I believe are contributing factors to a higher covid + percentage.
Charpie
AG
Thanks doc
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
I work multiple places in DFW and west Texas and echo what Dr. OP said.

My wife wrapped me up when I was a pre-med haha.
geoag58
AG
What percentage of your patients are over 70?
Infection_Ag11
AG
AW Aggie said:

It's always a gamble though, as there's a high percentage of crazy cluster B personalities in nursing.
Double Twin Marine
AG
Moxley said:

AW Aggie said:

Unfortunately from personal experience this doesn't work for male nurses and hot female doctors.

Doug Ross said:

AW Aggie said:

The key for a nurse to get a doctor is to get them when they are still residents .

Ugh Moxley, you're doing it wrong.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.