Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

394,983 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DFWTLR said:

I would assume it would be less than that, the numbers per day they're using as still higher than what the state is reporting per day.

And not sure what model Dallas County commissioners are using, but here is what they're discussing this morning:

Jesus. So we are headed for another extension.
Phat32
AG
How the hell are locked down people going to cause a massive surge in cases?

This thing doesn't have a 2 month incubation period.
walton91
Well, for one, we are not locked down in any way
YouBet
AG
walton91 said:

Well, for one, we are not locked down in any way
Really? I've come into contact with other humans exactly twice in the last 4 weeks. Both those times were going to the grocery store.
tysker
AG
SIP and social distancing isnt working so lets do more of it
walton91
Have you seen the list of essential businesses? There are lots of people still working. Lots of people who cannot work from home like all the people who work in, and supply your grocery store for one example
MGS
Collin county has been keeping track of recovered and the number of active cases has been relatively flat since April 1.

Source: https://www.plano.gov/3562/COVID-19-Press-Releases
planoaggie123
AG
I know a lot of people say "social distancing isnt working" because some people are continuing on but i dont think it is unreasonable to say over 65% of the public is staying in their house about 90% more than normal. That is probably low end. There will never be a 100% participation rate but we have done pretty darn good from what I see. For them to keep pushing out the "peak" is utter garbage....
walton91
Just because we feel like we are doing a good job, doesn't mean we are actually doing a good job collectively at controlling the spread.
Phat32
AG
walton91 said:

Have you seen the list of essential businesses? There are lots of people still working. Lots of people who cannot work from home like all the people who work in, and supply your grocery store for one example
Look at traffic levels at rush hour. Yes, some people are still going in to physical locations. But to act like a vast majority aren't staying home is incorrect.

On top of that, the physical sites are at least taking some precautions.

So knowing all of the above, how can the county expect cases to explode in a month and a half?
Maroon Elephant
AG
No need to push SIP out until the time comes. Let's see what the next two weeks look like. There is the small chance there won't be a surge. There is a chance we could be on the backside already. No?
planoaggie123
AG
walton91 said:

Just because we feel like we are doing a good job, doesn't mean we are actually doing a good job collectively at controlling the spread.
Give me a break.

The point is not 100% stop of the virus.

The point is to "slow the spread"....if my numbers are semi reasonable we are doing just that. Also hearing how the "peak deaths" numbers continue to drop indicates we are "slowing the spread".

This is not to prevent 100% of infections.
tysker
AG
walton91 said:

I think you're letting a few exceptions taint your view.

We're not doing enough which leads to surge in May? Almost a month after NYC and most of Europe. After 8 weeks of SIP and social distancing in Dallas? It seems Dallas' 'evidence and science' doesnt match any other city's or nation's 'evidence or science.' Maybe common sense will prevail.
YouBet
AG
walton91 said:

And lots of people are not. We are very much locked down counter to what you said. All of my discretionary time away from work is shut down by virtue of almost all of those businesses being closed. That time and money was putting money into the economy. Now it is not.
tysker
AG
Person 1 - People all over the city, haven't been abiding by the SIP order. They're putting everyone at risk!

Person 2 - How do you know that?

Person 1 - When I travel throughout the metroplex, I still see people everywhere! Don't these people understand what SIP means and why we're doing it!!
DFWTLR
AG
tysker said:

walton91 said:

I think you're letting a few exceptions taint your view.

We're not doing enough which leads to surge in May? Almost a month after NYC and most of Europe. After 8 weeks of SIP and social distancing in Dallas? It seems Dallas' 'evidence and science' doesnt match any other city's or nation's 'evidence or science.' Maybe common sense will prevail.
Agreed, Dallas County has been around 90-100 new cases/day for the last 7 days, hoping we're flattening out and can get closer normal by May.
planoaggie123
AG
This is correct.

And guess what....we will need to be cautious of spacing, hand washing, face covers, and our own temperature. That won't stop for months / year. We will still have people dying of COIVD probably for at least 1 more year and maybe forever but we are improving our ability to reduce the impact (helping hospitals/health professionals) and with each week/month growing closer to a cure.
FC12
Anybody see this today? 121/DNT...guy dressed in slacks and tucked in blue shirt it appears...just hope this isn't part of layoffs (yes I'm guessing).

" POLICE RESPOND TO PERSON IN DISTRESS CALL AT 121 / DNT INTERCHANGE IN PLANO"

https://dfwscanner.net/2020/04/07/police-respond-to-person-in-distress-call-at-121-dnt-interchange-in-plano/?fbclid=IwAR2J5CYz-oem44esQRs4sXFo15wK36vsQ3HhL8mDq_ov_v0L5yMxjNy3OnM

agcrock2005
AG
yukmonkey said:

How the hell are locked down people going to cause a massive surge in cases?

This thing doesn't have a 2 month incubation period.
I think because 99% (everyone but me apparently) view themselves as "essential". Roads are awfully packed when I drive to get my to-go lunch or go to Home Depot/Grocery Store to get out of the house. Lol
hatchback
AG
agcrock2005
AG
Clay Jenkins will probably only look at the last two data points and extend the SIP order...
Robert C. Christian
AG
I know your post is in jest but County Commissioners limited his energency powers yesterday. SIP now requires a majority vote of the commissioners, for better or worse. Jenkins still determines what businesses are essential though.
DFWTLR
AG
hatchback said:

Test results have taken up to 2 weeks, so wouldn't this graph confirm the stay at home order hasn't done anything? Or has testing increased so much it's hard to determine?
hatchback
AG
Considering that it takes up to 2 weeks to show symptoms, I'd argue that the stay-at-home order has been effective even with the slow increase in testing for Dallas County.

According to Mayor Johnson, there have been about 1,000 tests completed by Dallas County Health & Human Services and almost 5,000 tests completed by private labs since March 13th when he ordered testing numbers to be reported.

New cases were increasing and as the County saw evidence of community spread they ordered everyone to stay at home. I get that it's a small sample size in a county with a few million people, but, anecdotally, staying at home seems to be working.
Hood
AG
From yesterday, cautiously optimistic that what we're doing is helping quite a bit.

Even with insufficient testing, the fairly slow rate of increase of ICU and ventilator usage shows some hope that we will keep the peak below capacity. Another week of data will help affirm or discard these conclusions, of course.
hatchback
AG
City of Dallas parks are closed for the Easter weekend.
TexasAggie008
AG
Scumbags
walton91
Absolutely the right call
Ol Jock 99
AG
63 new cases today.
DFWTLR
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

63 new cases today.
Shhhh, don't tell Clay, with strong mitigation efforts we'll be lucky to be at 500 cases per day by the end of April:

Ol Jock 99
AG
Where is he getting his info?
hatchback
AG
Dr. Phillip Huang who is the director of Dallas County Health and Human Services.

Much to some of y'all's disappointment, Clay Jenkins isn't just making up numbers and having his children draw pretty graphs.
Hood
AG
hatchback said:

Dr. Phillip Huang who is the director of Dallas County Health and Human Services.

Much to some of y'all's disappointment, Clay Jenkins isn't just making up numbers and having his children draw pretty graphs.
Given how divorced the updated chart is from reality, maybe he should give his children a shot.
MGS
hatchback said:

Yes, he delegates.
DFWTLR
AG
hatchback said:

Please share with us where he is getting the info then. No one is saying Clay is making the numbers up, he makes statements that 'evidence and science' shows we will not peak until May, and some of us would like some actual transparency from elected officials.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.