Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake thread 2020

326,045 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Null and Void
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
2019 thread with previous years links

New year - new slither! Stay safe outdoors board.
zooguy96
agsquirrel97
AG
Best thread on TexAgs, now we just gotta settle in for the long wait for things to start moving
SteveBott
AG
Thanks Head Mod. Your contributions to the thread is noticed.
12f Mane
AG
Snakes!

BuddysBud
AG
Postings on the snake thread decreased last year. My impression is that the thread had successfully taught many of us how to identify the most common snakes.
For example, who didn't immediately recognize that 4F posted
Copperhead (v)
Rat Snake
Diamond Back Rattle Snake (v)
Hognose
Cottonmouth (v)?

This is a great thread.

12f Mane
AG
I think you're right and those are good IDs
1990AG
AG
IN

Badace52
AG
Agreed... I think this thread has done a lot of good. At least for snakes who run into OB posters.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
A.G.S.
AG
Don't forget the elusive Texas Black Mamba (sarcasm).

Ran across this fine specimen in Walker county a couple weeks ago. Was a chilly morning, only way I was able to get as close as I did.

Normally ya just catch a glimpse of their tails as they race away, but this guy gave me a good view.
Bitter Old Man
AG
BuddysBud said:

Postings on the snake thread decreased last year. My impression is that the thread had successfully taught many of us how to identify the most common snakes.
For example, who didn't immediately recognize that 4F posted
Copperhead (v)
Rat Snake
Diamond Back Rattle Snake (v)
Hognose
Cottonmouth (v)?

This is a great thread.

I'm pretty sure those are all Hognoses, or maybe Corals....
CowtownAg06
AG
The story a few posts below about the guy in Mississippi running into a timber rattler in his deer blind reminded me I need to click on a new thread for 2020!
TacosaurusRex
CowtownAg06 said:

The story a few posts below about the guy in Mississippi running into a timber rattler in his deer blind reminded me I need to click on a new thread for 2020!

Haha I immediately came to the snake thread after reading the same post.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
12f Mane
AG
Those stories are such garbage. "Battled." Just step 3 feet away you jackass and you are completely out of harms way.
Badace52
AG
12f Mane said:

Those stories are such garbage. "Battled." Just step 3 feet away you jackass and you are completely out of harms way.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
1990AG
AG
12f Mane said:

I'm normally with you 12f, but it didnt sound like he had another way out

BuddysBud
AG
From the account it took a while for the guy to figure out that the rattle was from a snake. If the snake wanted to bite, it had ample opportunity. The guy could have just left the blind and both he and the snake would have been fine.
1990AG
AG
BuddysBud said:

From the account it took a while for the guy to figure out that the rattle was from a snake. If the snake wanted to bite, it had ample opportunity. The guy could have just left the blind and both he and the snake would have been fine.

Except the guy said the snake was striking at the chair every time it moved. This thread has changed my mind over the years but if I am in a 4x4 enclosure with a timber rattler and have the chance to kill it, I'm going to kill it 10 times out of 10

Throwout
AG
My favorite thread on TexAgs!
zooguy96
If he had a gun, he could have used the barrel to move the snake. Shooting that close seems stupid to me. Rattlesnakes many times strike defensively (I.e. no venom) to intimidate. They really aren't that dangerous BY BEHAVIOR - not to say that their venom isn't harmful. Plus, the snake had not bitten him yet. They don't want to interact with you - they want to get away. That is their first instinct.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Snakes!
TacosaurusRex
zooguy96 said:

If he had a gun, he could have used the barrel to move the snake. Shooting that close seems stupid to me. Rattlesnakes many times strike defensively (I.e. no venom) to intimidate. They really aren't that dangerous BY BEHAVIOR - not to say that their venom isn't harmful. Plus, the snake had not bitten him yet. They don't want to interact with you - they want to get away. That is their first instinct.

The guy stated that the blind sat on a crate like base. Trying to use the barrel of a gun to manipulate a pissed off snake, in a tight inclosure, and with only one exit doesn't exactly register high on the logical conclusion spectrum to me. Not to mention he was hunting in a blind, which generally means a pretty secluded area where help might be very, very far away. Again, not worth the risk.

I do very much appreciate this thread, and agree on the "not killing them all with fire approach." At the same time, I have been on the opposite end of the rattler... twice. One ending with a five day not all-inclusive stay in the ICU. You better believe the instincts of not wanting to endure that immense pain again would have kicked in and I would have pulled the trigger 10/10 times.

As a side note: Thank you all to the experts on this thread. As mentioned above, snakes and I are not exactly on the best of terms. This thread has saved a couple of snakes lives in the barn in the past year.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
1990AG
AG
zooguy96 said:

I PROMISE you that if I am standing on the swivel chair that was such a ****ty chair that I took it to my pallet-for-a- floor deer blind, there is zero way I'm going to try to finesse a striking timber rattler out of the floor with my 42" rifle...to your point, the snake could have left just the way he came in...

I appreciate your expertise, and that of 12f and Badace...you guys have a fervor for the welfare of snakes and it's admirable...Heck, it's changed the way many of us approach these creatures....

however, in this case, I think you are missing the forest for the trees. Let's both hope that we are never in a 4X4 enclosure with a pissed off snake....

zooguy96
I'm just talking about my experience with venomous snakes. In 100% of my interactions, they've been very slow to strike and generally don't want anything to do with me.
1990AG
AG
Good grief man...the guy says in the story that the snake repeatedly struck at the chair every time he moved in it....

12f Mane
AG
1990AG said:

Good grief man...the guy says in the story that the snake repeatedly struck at the chair every time he moved in it....
As someone who has been told hundreds if not more snakes stories in his life I will say that 9/10 are exaggerated or straight up lies. Not saying this is the case, but snake stories get a big helping of skepticism from me.

My favorite was a guy getting struck by a diamondback around Tilden that bit him so hard it broke his femur.
zooguy96
12f Mane said:

1990AG said:

As someone who has been told hundreds if not more snakes stories in his life I will say that 9/10 are exaggerated or straight up lies. Not saying this is the case, but snake stories get a big helping of skepticism from me.

My favorite was a guy getting struck by a diamondback around Tilden that bit him so hard it broke his femur.

This. Many times, what happens in actuality as compared to the "story" is completely different and sensationalized.
1990AG
AG
90% of the people that tell you a snake story are lying?

12f Mane
AG
I said exaggerated or lying, and yeah. Almost always about the size of the snake or behavior. I don't know what it is about snakes but people just can't help themselves.
zooguy96
When I worked in Austin in Natural Resources, the chief herpetologist at UT said that based on statistics, 90% of snake bites involved men under the influence of alcohol.

So, yeah, I can see where 12f Mane is coming from with "exaggerated stories".
1990AG
AG
From Reptile Magazine(Google)

Quote:

What do a majority of snakebite victims look like? They're young, male snake handlers and often they've been drinking.
Some might scoff, but studies have shown it to be true. One reviewed medical records of 86 rattlesnake bite victims from a single medical center. Pet snakes bit 14 people. All were men, and 64.3 percent were under alcohol's influence at the time of the bite.
Another study had equally sobering findings. Examining 227 envenomation cases at a single hospital, researchers found male victims outnumbered females 9-to-1. The average age was 24, 57 percent were handling a venomous snake, and 28 percent had appeared intoxicated.
not 90% but certainly shows alcohol and maleness are high contributors

FunkyTownAg
AG
Had a guy say a rattlesnake broke his buddy's femur once by biting his leg
12f Mane
AG
You know Josh?
fullback44
AG
I like this thread for Identifying the snakes, can y'all please keep posting what the snake is?

Thanks, great thread
JSKolache
AG
1990AG said:

90% of the people that tell you a snake story are lying?
99% of fishing stories are lies, u know that right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.