Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

633,480 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by HalifaxAg
Beetle 92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He dead yet?
Mathguy64
AG
Do you suppose this dingleberry had any paperwork that allows him to legally to cross into Mauritania? Like a travel visa?

Dan? I'm just asking, Dan. Did you prearrange that travel visa? What's going to happen Dan when you hit a border that expects a travel visa prearranged with the country you are entering? With documented entry and exit dates. You planning on whipping out that AMEX or do you have bribe/border fees that you can pay in cash? And by cash I mean Yankee dollars Dan. Come on Dan. Didn't you learn anything from reading the Belgian's trek across the Congo?
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
15 mins ago.

https://instagr.am/p/BKBiOwMDEXe
i love how the minefield and border crossing posts are spaced 7 hrs apart to give us the feeling of "real time" even though it happened 2 months ago
Guitarsoup
AG
When I traveled to the Sudan, we couldn't get Visas from the US and had to fly into Uganda, then get the Visas there. It was a pretty seamless process. I'm sure he is just getting the Visa in the country before he crosses.

I'll try to find my Sudanese visa along with portrait. Won't be hard to see why I was stopped flying back to the US. Look like a total terrorist.
TexasAggie_02
AG
emily should start a blog about traveling with dan

thechodechoseme.com
aggieforester05
AG
I wonder if he's using some sort of time delay software for posting. So he writes the post when they happen and then it posts automatically two months later. That would be a lot easier than trying to write about stuff that happened two months ago. Of course his writing is completely devoid of any detail, so maybe that is the case.
TexasAggie_02
AG
you can delay post. whether he's setting it up to do that, i don't know. In his comments to people on instagram and reddit, he plays along with the timeline when people ask questions about where he is. gotta be hard to keep up with when you are way on down the road and trying not to get ahead of yourself in an online discussion.
AgySkeet06
AG
quote:
When we went to Congo for the first time, we were told, do not wear any camo.
I've been to the Middle East and Africa and traveling with CAMO anything is just asking for trouble. The first time I was traveling in Iraq and the custom/airport security checking my bag found my camo trimmed toiletry kit he took everything out checking it very thorough. The next time i went i used a generic black kit and it barely got touched as they checked my suitcase. Heck even safari guides usually warn against camo thats why you see majority of big game hunt photos the hunters & guides are wearing solid tan/khaki/green clothing as it draws less attention.

Wearing camo in africa....anyone want to adjust their predictions???
Chazz03
AG
quote:
write about stuff
Could explain the utter lack of actually writing about anything interesting
Guitarsoup
AG
There are lots of things like this such as Latergramme.
BQ_90
AG
at what point do we need to change the pool from dead to date when his tires dry rot
nai06
AG
fwiw, the minefield he is referencing is known as The Berm/Moroccan Wall. It's the longest minefield in the world and surrounded by a large berm/wall. It's also located in a military control zone. So if he is traveling along a paved road, he isnt anywhere close to a minefield. The only place he might get close to a minefield is at a recognized crossing. The crossings were largely cleared of landmines years ago. Basically he's full of **** and isnt in any real danger.
Zemira
AG
I know in several West African countries getting a visa in the US could take 6-8 weeks at a minimum. Now another African country and even some places in Europe (ie Paris for a former French colony) 1-2 days to get a visa.

Knew several guys that would overnight or spend two days in Paris to get a visa before flying to their final destination. Or fly to a country in West Africa that Americans don't need a visa, get a visa and then onward to their destination.
Mateo84
AG
quote:
15 mins ago.

So. Many. Hashtags.
cmag
quote:
Basically he's full of **** and isnt in any real danger.
Here's the TL;DR for this entire thread thus far.
KT 90
AG
quote:
quote:
15 mins ago.

So. Many. Hashtags.
Only 2.5 tires off the pavement. He was doing better in the previous photo.
AgySkeet06
AG
quote:
So. Many. Hashtags.
all of that could be simplified into #idiotinafrica
Teddy Perkins
AG
Here's his write up on crossing the border
ellebee
Wait. He doesn't have a phone?!?!
nai06
AG
quote:
fwiw, the minefield he is referencing is known as The Berm/Moroccan Wall. It's the longest minefield in the world and surrounded by a large berm/wall. It's also located in a military control zone. So if he is traveling along a paved road, he isnt anywhere close to a minefield. The only place he might get close to a minefield is at a recognized crossing. The crossings were largely cleared of landmines years ago. Basically he's full of **** and isnt in any real danger.

Where are my manners? I forgot to add:

#MoroccoFacts
texrover91
AG
quote:
When we went to Congo for the first time, we were told, do not wear any camo.

almost as big a rookie mistake" as trekking around Africa in a Jeep

Caliber
AG
quote:
15 mins ago.

This is the same photo that he used when talking about his traffic stop in Morocco... back on August 18th...

http://theroadchoseme.com/new-continent-same-tricks
chase128
AG
So how delayed are his posts? Several months?
Centerpole90
AG
Dang it is! I guess both captions could technically be right, depending on which side of the border he claimed to be on in the second blog post. He even used the same image as the cover image for each blog post.

quote:
Dan and the Jeep in Morocco

quote:
At the Mauritania border, having just got through. An official yelled at me for taking this photo

Mathguy64
AG
So he's either just mixing up photos by accident or trolling people. I'm pretty sure I know which it is.

In his blog he noted he filled up and topped off all his gas tanks before he crossed over because he suspects gas stations will be difficult to find in from here on out. So at least he's self aware of his built in mistake.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Dang it is! I guess both captions could technically be right, depending on which side of the border he claimed to be on in the second blog post. He even used the same image as the cover image for each blog post.

quote:
Dan and the Jeep in Morocco

quote:
At the Mauritania border, having just got through. An official yelled at me for taking this photo

he's implying that the pic is in Mauritania. Also he posted the pic from the mine field, and then posted the reused pic 7 hrs later to let everyone know he made it safely, again implying that he is in Mauritania.

It's obvious now that he is not writing up his posts as he goes and having them auto-uploaded. He's trying to keep the lies and the timeline straight in his head 2 months after the fact. Even is he doesn't set the page to auto update, he still can go back and look at his actual website to see that he doesn't reuse anything.
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeep/comments/51hmst/whats_your_scariest_jeep_moment_i_just_drove/
TexasAggie_02
AG
here's a guy on youtube driving through "no man's land" in between western sahara and mauritania. not saying i wouldn't be a little nervous, but the path is obviously well-worn.

Buck O Five
AG
quote:
here's a guy on youtube driving through "no man's land" in between western sahara and mauritania. not saying i wouldn't be a little nervous, but the path is obviously well-worn.

Looks like they drive single file to hide their numbers.
BuddysBud
AG
Is he just making this stuff up, a.k.a. mfbarnes?
Westi
AG
In a word, yes.
cmag

"It's obvious now that he is not writing up his posts as he goes and having them auto-uploaded. He's trying to keep the lies and the timeline straight in his head 2 months after the fact. Even is he doesn't set the page to auto update, he still can go back and look at his actual website to see that he doesn't reuse anything."

So what you're saying is he isn't dead yet.
cuz-i-can
AG
Nothing new to see here except page 60.
Ag 11
AG
That idiot leave Morocco yet?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Who knows... The border crossing could have been a bribery shack. His GPS might have him out of Morocco but we all know that's suspect.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.