Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

622,075 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by HalifaxAg
Texas 1836
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
So a photographer I follow is doing a much shorter African road trip, will be interesting to see how much ground he covers and how his stories are written.

Shorter??
What, he have an airport layover on the way to India??
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:
So a photographer I follow is doing a much shorter African road trip, will be interesting to see how much ground he covers and how his stories are written.

Shorter??
What, he have an airport layover on the way to India??

Huh? He's not driving the entire boundary of Africa
Texas 1836
AG
My point was African Barnes isn't going anywhere - short trip.
So the other guys trip would have to be really short to be less.
ClickClack
Centerpole90
AG
Wow. I'm surprised they featured him too, considering his Ongoing Expedition Thread is underwhelming to say the least. I've been following him over there but it's been a snoozer.
txags92
AG
Somebody needs to comment on that article and ask if his ex-girlfriend is named Emily, and if so, how it feels that she is stalking him through Africa and posting pics from all the same places he is going on his "solo" trip.
Kenneth_2003
AG
So a more dedicated expidition/overlanding board and they haven't figured out that he's lagging his posts and updates by 2 months?

Geez this dude is beyond arrogant.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Also... That is NOT the same sign that was posted by Emily....

Emily...
https://instagr.am/p/BHVMGgshoXd

Senor ******nozzle...
https://instagr.am/p/BJvIvUCDx4h

Perhaps they have parted ways a while back? Anyone have time to track down this sign?
txags92
AG
His was probably leaving Morocco...hers was probably leaving Mauritania.
BlueMiles
AG
So they might be in different vehicles? #nojeep
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
some baws with a dirtied up Landcruiser rolled up an Emily hopped ship for an alpha-male
BigPuma
AG
quote:
I don't think she is delaying her photos 2 months.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
quote:
some baws with a dirtied up Landcruiser rolled up an Emily hopped ship for an alpha-male
https://instagr.am/p/BJx8o6UDHuP
Centerpole90
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
His was probably leaving Morocco...hers was probably leaving Mauritania.
Ok... did a little looking... That photo is on the N1 Highway leaving Tantan, probably just east of the airport. From there it is 24 km to El Ouatia and 208 km to Tarfaya. Looks like a very scenic coastal drive down a paved highway.

28.451340, -11.113746

Man I dislike this dude.
nai06
AG
quote:
Also... That is NOT the same sign that was posted by Emily....

Emily...
https://instagr.am/p/BHVMGgshoXd

Senor ******nozzle...
https://instagr.am/p/BJvIvUCDx4h

Perhaps they have parted ways a while back? Anyone have time to track down this sign?
Based on that photo he is just outside Guelmim, Morocco. So he is still about 150 miles from leaving Morocco

EDIT: Tantan is about right
AgEng06
AG
quote:
quote:
Based on that photo he is just outside Guelmim, Morocco. So he is still about 150 miles from leaving Morocco

Or, as Dan would say, "about a week's worth of travel".
EMY92
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Or, as Dan would say, "about a week's worth of travel".
I think that's close to 20 days of travel. He was averaging a little over 7 miles/day for the first month in Africa.
txags92
AG
quote:

As big puma said, she isn't delaying her photos...he is.
RM1993
AG
I don't think the girlfriend breakup mentioned in the article is the same girl as the current Africa squeeze. The first sounded like a pre-trip breakup that put the trip in jeopardy. We have seen Dan and Emily together in Africa.

Dan keeps trying to make everyone think this is a "solo" trip with only the occassional visit from friends, but I suspect either he or Emily will soon post another pic where you can see that they are still together (or were two months ago, depending on who posts).
BlueMiles
AG
Makes sense
BuddysBud
AG
Dan: 29 hashtags
Emily: 3 hashtags

#DanWins?
TexasAggie_02
AG
whoever hastags himself shall be humbled and whoever humbles himself shall be hastagged
Kenneth_2003
AG
He's getting better, only one repeat...

Hedley Lamarr: "Qualifications?"
Dan: "#africa #morocco #overland #expedition #westafrica #travel #travelphotography #JeepAdventure #overlandjeep #explore #exploreafrica #adventure #africanadventure #overlandafrica #exploremore #lifestyle #livingthedream #travelwriter #instatravel #passportready #travelblogger #wanderlust #ilovetravel #instatravelling #travelblogger #instapassport #traveltheworld #instago #travelpics"
Hedley Lamarr: "You said poundsign travelblogger twice."
Dan: "I like poundsign travelblogger."
BuddysBud
AG
458 "likes" on a stupid picture of a jeep parked next to a road sign. Are there that many people following his progress, or lack thereof, (other than OB of course) and think that this guy is great? He has to have multiple accounts so that he can "Like" his own pictures.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
458 "likes" on a stupid picture of a jeep park next to a road sign.
450 of those likes are the bad guys prepping for later so he will get moving. It's their "deer corn".
Kenneth_2003
AG
cmag
So question is, does he die of old age before he gets out of Morocco, or do we die of boredom first.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:
https://instagr.am/p/BJx8o6UDHuP
Epic post; and I'm a huge fan of the Protea chain of hotels; I bet it's nice to have a bit of Western when you've been in the bush for a while.
aggiepublius
AG
quote:
One last question: Where are you today, and where will you be next week?

I've just driven the length of The Western Sahara and crossed into Mauritania. My current plans have me crossing into Senegal as early as next week.To do so, I must cross what is commonly called "The Worst Border in Africa." which sounds impressive, if not a little intimidating.

Source: http://expeditionportal.com/adventure-interview-dan-grec/

From interview posted on ExPo website. Guess this means he is still alive and made it out of Morocco.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:
One last question: Where are you today, and where will you be next week?

I've just driven the length of The Western Sahara and crossed into Mauritania. My current plans have me crossing into Senegal as early as next week.To do so, I must cross what is commonly called "The Worst Border in Africa." which sounds impressive, if not a little intimidating.

Source: http://expeditionportal.com/adventure-interview-dan-grec/

From interview posted on ExPo website. Guess this means he is still alive and made it out of Morocco.
so, is the interview 2 months old, or did Dan lie b/c he doesn't want anyone to know that he entered Senegal at the end of July?
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Yes, it's a nice hotel. Chipata is two hours away, where we go buy groceries we can't get in Lundazi. They've got decent internet, and we've been able to video chat with our kids and grandkids from there. We're going there on Saturday and we hope to be able to stream the game, update apps, etc.
BuddysBud
AG
What an idiot--driving through Mauritania without stopping. Some sites in Mauritania would be less touristy and more interesting than what he did in Morocco. For example, Guelb Er Richat would be an interesting place to visit, but he would have to get his Jeep dirty to get there. And the snakes would not have their mouths stitched closed.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I don't know how to do it... Can someone pull the metadata from his latest instagrams?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.