Aggie95 said:nortex97 said:
There's some AI confusion here imho. When diesel is generated in excess of requirements/market, it's just fed into an FCC (fluid catalytic cracker or hydrocracker) and converted/processed into gasoline.
Diesel is neither the feedstock nor the goal of the classic "crack heavy oil to make gasoline" step; it's the boiling-range product that sits between them.
Diesel demand is not going to drop any time soon in the US (nor elsewhere) and refineries aren't going to wind down production of it based on any kind of export ban of the product.
can you explain why diesel demand is not going to drop in the US or elsewhere? It seems like the consumer is tapped out and there is not much positive economic activity outside of AI. As bad as things are here, there is zero growth in Europe and they seem on the verge on recession every year.
I just don't see any drop in demand, near nor long term.

I don't know what the split is from consumer:industrial (trucking but also including agricultural), but if I had to swag it would probably be something like 1:5. Most consumers don't commute in a diesel vehicle/pick up. Even though this thread is mainly individuals/consumer, the ones most frustrated even here I think are buying a lot of it for agricultural purposes.
I agree Europe is a complete mess, largely by policy/intentionally so. They are/have been very reliant on Saudi and Russian refineries for diesel in particular.
WTI is off another 63 cents at the moment, to $89 and change fwiw.
ETA:
Wholesale gasoline price is dropping like a rock. pic.twitter.com/Rlugp6rGLw
— Gordo (@GordoCDA) September 22, 2026