3rd Coast said:
We still thinking this isn't a problem, and won't rocket inflation?
Inflation is a monetary entity. This is idiotic, but not inflationary. It will raise prices of everything, everywhere. But, that's not inflation, as it is defined.
3rd Coast said:
We still thinking this isn't a problem, and won't rocket inflation?
nortex97 said:
Maybe we should have a separate thread for 'Democrat state gas price insanity.' 'Cap and invest' is working out great for their serfs.
ErnestEndeavor said:
I remember filling up with gas over $4 a gallon in 2008. Equivalent would be over $6 today. Hopefully, we don't get there in real terms.
Our current gas prices (at least where I live) are in line with what would be expected if you average gas prices out going back fifty years or so when accounting for inflation. Other than just after Russia/Ukraine, the last ten years has been cheaper than the historical averages.
I don't like it any more than anyone else, but there's some perspective here.
Gordo14 said:nortex97 said:
Maybe we should have a separate thread for 'Democrat state gas price insanity.' 'Cap and invest' is working out great for their serfs.
Cap and invest is a smaller tax on gasoline than the Federally run tax, RFS (renewable fuel standard), that is at all time highs thanks to this administration's policies. Back in 2024 this was a 8-10 cent per gallon tax. Then this administration made a bunch of awful policy decisions and everybody (except farmers of course) is paying 36-37 cents per gallon on all the fuel you purchase. This was strictly a policy decision by this administration. Seems like California's cap and invest has lost to this administration's policies for dumbest gasoline tax. The ****ing RIN is worth more than the ethanol despite the fact that ethanol blending doesn't even need a subsidy to exist at this point.
jja79 said:
I don't buy diesel but saw it's $5.95 where I am. Regular was $4.59. People notice.
Eliminatus said:
I got in an accident a couple of weeks ago and my truck has been in the shop ever since. Have had a little commuter car thingie as a rental since then. It's tiny and puny but fun to laugh at and honestly the fuel mileage has been such a breath of fresh air. Went from 13mpg to around 45mpg.
Can't wait to get my truck back but damn....taking it in the wallet again, not looking forward to that. Going to be eye opening again filling up. Like I was in a hazy surreal dream or something.
Thanks Trump for keeping us under $3!
hindsight said:Eliminatus said:
I got in an accident a couple of weeks ago and my truck has been in the shop ever since. Have had a little commuter car thingie as a rental since then. It's tiny and puny but fun to laugh at and honestly the fuel mileage has been such a breath of fresh air. Went from 13mpg to around 45mpg.
Can't wait to get my truck back but damn....taking it in the wallet again, not looking forward to that. Going to be eye opening again filling up. Like I was in a hazy surreal dream or something.
Thanks Trump for keeping us under $3!
Why drive a truck?
Iran and Gulf states to convene in effort for Hormuz agreement: FT
— FinancialJuice (@financialjuice) September 11, 2026
ErnestEndeavor said:
And the reality is (if reports are correct) it appears more oil is leaving the gulf than was in June, but the markets have been trading on vibes during this war more than anything else.
Russia's Ryazan oil refinery has suspended operations after Ukraine's drone attack.
— SPRAVDI — Stratcom Centre (@StratcomCentre) September 11, 2026
Following the September 6th strikes, the main processing unit and another unit of the refinery were shut down, according to Reuters, citing its own sources.
The first unit, capable of processing… pic.twitter.com/kDWXDTUIvR
California shut down 17% of its refining capacity in 10 months. Then the global diesel market got squeezed. The $9.99 pumps are what happens when a fuel island loses its refineries.
— Aakash Gupta (@aakashgupta) September 11, 2026
Phillips 66 closed its Los Angeles refinery in December. 139,000 barrels a day, gone. Valero's… https://t.co/lJxvJ7jDoD
Quote:
California shut down 17% of its refining capacity in 10 months. Then the global diesel market got squeezed. The $9.99 pumps are what happens when a fuel island loses its refineries.
Phillips 66 closed its Los Angeles refinery in December. 139,000 barrels a day, gone. Valero's Benicia refinery stopped producing fuel in April. Another 145,000.
Here's the part most people don't know. No pipeline connects California to the Gulf Coast refining hubs that supply the rest of the country. The state runs on its own refineries plus whatever arrives by ship. When Texas runs short, fuel flows in through pipes within days. When California runs short, relief is a tanker that's weeks away.
That setup worked as long as in-state capacity covered demand. Since 2020 the state has lost roughly 20% of it. Marathon converted Martinez to renewables. Phillips 66 converted Rodeo. Then the two full closures this year.
So when US refineries hit 98% utilization and drone strikes started knocking Russian refineries offline, every state felt it. Diesel set a national record at $5.98. But California diesel sits at $7.91, up 70% since January, because the state absorbed a global shock with two fewer refineries and no pipe to borrow from anyone.
The pumps showing $9.99 have four digits. The people who installed them never imagined needing five.
Quote:
According to the California Energy Commission, California listed around 30-40 closed refinery facilities as of early 2026. Operable refineries fell from 23 in 2000 and over 40 in the 1980s to roughly 11-12 by mid-2026. Major recent losses include Phillips 66 Los Angeles (late 2025) and Valero Benicia (April 2026), cutting substantial capacity.
BrazosDog02 said:jja79 said:
I don't buy diesel but saw it's $5.95 where I am. Regular was $4.59. People notice.
Diesel is high. My trucks and tractors all use it.
I'm already starting to eyeball my red diesel tank and have impure thoughts.
Hoyt Ag said:BrazosDog02 said:jja79 said:
I don't buy diesel but saw it's $5.95 where I am. Regular was $4.59. People notice.
Diesel is high. My trucks and tractors all use it.
I'm already starting to eyeball my red diesel tank and have impure thoughts.
But but but it's just a few cents bro. All going swimmingly according to the plan.
Filled up last night 55 gallons of diesel. 325.45.
No Spin Ag said:Hoyt Ag said:BrazosDog02 said:jja79 said:
I don't buy diesel but saw it's $5.95 where I am. Regular was $4.59. People notice.
Diesel is high. My trucks and tractors all use it.
I'm already starting to eyeball my red diesel tank and have impure thoughts.
But but but it's just a few cents bro. All going swimmingly according to the plan.
Filled up last night 55 gallons of diesel. 325.45.
This reminds me of a guy I saw the other night who said he's losing money every time he uses his truck because it's costing twice as much now.
Family business to boot.
That is the way price increases work.74OA said:No Spin Ag said:Hoyt Ag said:BrazosDog02 said:jja79 said:
I don't buy diesel but saw it's $5.95 where I am. Regular was $4.59. People notice.
Diesel is high. My trucks and tractors all use it.
I'm already starting to eyeball my red diesel tank and have impure thoughts.
But but but it's just a few cents bro. All going swimmingly according to the plan.
Filled up last night 55 gallons of diesel. 325.45.
This reminds me of a guy I saw the other night who said he's losing money every time he uses his truck because it's costing twice as much now.
Family business to boot.
At some point, if not already, folks like him will be passing on that cost to us, his customers.
lb sand said:
Y'all don't even want to know what's going on with steel prices. Spot market price has almost doubled since January.
LegalDrugPusher said:
Trump is right. Gas prices will fall like a rock. Democheats worst nightmare is creeping upon them. Lower gas prices all summer and into the fall that will help the Republicans rebound.
This is a very significant strike against Saudi Arabia.
— Visegrád 24 (@visegrad24) September 11, 2026
The Houthi threat, and the wider “Axis of Reaistance” threat must be dealt with https://t.co/3usl7KV3cR
lb sand said:
Y'all don't even want to know what's going on with steel prices. Spot market price has almost doubled since January.
No Spin Ag said:lb sand said:
Y'all don't even want to know what's going on with steel prices. Spot market price has almost doubled since January.
In English for real world applications we'll be buying, please.
Queso1 said:No Spin Ag said:lb sand said:
Y'all don't even want to know what's going on with steel prices. Spot market price has almost doubled since January.
In English for real world applications we'll be buying, please.
You're paying double for steel products in this noble war effort.
No Spin Ag said:Hoyt Ag said:BrazosDog02 said:jja79 said:
I don't buy diesel but saw it's $5.95 where I am. Regular was $4.59. People notice.
Diesel is high. My trucks and tractors all use it.
I'm already starting to eyeball my red diesel tank and have impure thoughts.
But but but it's just a few cents bro. All going swimmingly according to the plan.
Filled up last night 55 gallons of diesel. 325.45.
This reminds me of a guy I saw the other night who said he's losing money every time he uses his truck because it's costing twice as much now.
Family business to boot.
BrazosDog02 said:No Spin Ag said:Hoyt Ag said:BrazosDog02 said:jja79 said:
I don't buy diesel but saw it's $5.95 where I am. Regular was $4.59. People notice.
Diesel is high. My trucks and tractors all use it.
I'm already starting to eyeball my red diesel tank and have impure thoughts.
But but but it's just a few cents bro. All going swimmingly according to the plan.
Filled up last night 55 gallons of diesel. 325.45.
This reminds me of a guy I saw the other night who said he's losing money every time he uses his truck because it's costing twice as much now.
Family business to boot.
How is he losing money? It sounds like whoever is running the business needs to be fired. lol. He should be maintaining profit margins and giving quotes that are good for no more than 14 days with price increase baked in to cover that period.
But he might be cutting prices to win jobs. They take a beating on profits or "match" other quotes so that they win the work. It's a terrible mindset as a business owner and a fast track way to go out of business.