BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2016)

538,074 Views | 1547 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tailgate88
texasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Binary space in downtown Bryan seems to have silently closed its doors. Google says permanently closed, website has nothing on it.
BCStalk
Their hours didn't really fit around a professionals schedule. I would assume it catered to a small amount of students.
UmustBKidding
I am told that it's just a coworking space now, not a maker space. Not sure who all coworks there, again was told that Uber has some local presense there.
I work with kids on robotics projects at mentor and makers if you are looking for a maker home.

RafterAg223
AG
BrandoC said:

Why do you need 72,000 sq. ft for a Academy? Just dont see what they convert the old Academy to. Another eyesore building in this city.
Have you spent any time in the current College Station Academy? The place is a zoo non stop and merchandise displays are piled on top of other merchandise displays. It is anything but a relaxing shopping experience in there. The current store easily needs to be close to twice the size. They will find a quality tenant to backfill that space. But by all means proceed with the sensational story about an empty box turning to urban blight.
RafterAg223
AG
DBSwooper said:

carpe vinum said:

The City of CS put out a podcast about new stuff coming. I couldn't get it to play but the narrative had a few new things listed and confirmed the Brazilian Steakhouse.
Brazilian steakhouse? That's a lot! More like a Brazilian chicken finger places.
The Brazilian steakhouse is going to be run by individuals with more than 2 decades of experience running these types of establishments around the country. The individual that is executing this project does not do anything half way and this restaurant will be a major asset to the whole B/CS dining scene once completed.
jja79
AG
Do you think there's a market for $60/person meals?
RafterAg223
AG
Who ever said the price point would be $60? And how much do 2 people spend at Christopher's or the republic by the time they order a salad, entree, and any additional side items? hell, it was over $70 without drinks the last time my wife and I went to Saltgrass.
jja79
AG
I just asked a question man.

Every time I e eaten at Chama Gaucho or the like it's been about 60 per head and that's fine. I know that going in.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

But by all means proceed with the sensational story about an empty box turning to urban blight.
Academy needing more space for all their goods made in China does not preclude their old location from becoming urban blight. Although some local church will probably take over that location.
FlyRod
Quote:

Do you think there's a market for $60/person meals?

Emphatically, yes.
Anonymous Source
S
Swamp Tails has closed
Gig 'Em
halibut sinclair
Pappadeaux delayed until 2018:

http://wtaw.com/2016/11/04/no-pappadeauxs-college-station-2018/

Quote:

Five years ago, Houston based Pappadeaux's Restaurants purchased the former Scott & White clinic on University near the freeway.

In August of last year, the College Station city council approved rezoning the land. But don't look for a restaurant opening until the spring or summer of 2018.

The city's economic development director Natalie Ruiz, in comments from a podcast on the city's blog, says the restaurant is designing how a creek that used to be under the clinic will be moved for the new building.

Ruiz also said on the podcast that the city participated with Pappadeaux's on a drainage agreement to move what passing motorists now see is a big hole on the property.

KidDoc
AG
CollegeStationAgFan said:

Swamp Tails has closed
BOOOOO
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
I guess it couldn't compete with Razoos. You would think it could have lasted a while longer since Pappadeuax's got delayed again. Or at least through the next three home football games.
halibut sinclair
aggiepaintrain
AG
was that the place on welborn rd?
MiMi
S
Quote:

was that the place on welborn rd?
Yep
atm86
AG
From the podcast web page:
In our second episode of "Is This A Thing?," City of College Station Economic Development Director Natalie Ruiz shares the latest info on restaurants, retail and more that appear to be legitimate "things" for the city:
  • 1:49 UNIVERSITY DRIVE: OshKosh/Carter's, Pappadeaux, Chimney Hill, Dunkin' Donuts, Century Square, new high-rise and much more.
  • 12:32 TEXAS AVENUE: Windham TRYP and new retail/restaurants, Haverty's.
  • 14:30 ROCK PRAIRIE ROAD: Planned retail + Smoothie King and four pad sites for casual dining.
  • 16:27 TOWER POINT: Carp's Bar & Grill, Freddy's, Bahama Buck's, PetSmart, Gold's Gym, Jimmy Changa's.
  • 17:13 CAPROCK: Zaxby's, Blue Baker, Mad Taco, Brazilian Steakhouse.
  • 18:30 New Academy vs. old Academy.
  • 20:47 Proliferation of walk-in emergency rooms.

BQwolf05
AG
Here is the document that has what the new Academy area should look like.
carpe vinum
AG
Is the OshKosh/Carter's open already? I don't recall seeing it.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
carpe vinum said:

Is the OshKosh/Carter's open already? I don't recall seeing it.

Affirmative
ChampsAg
Yes it is.
Counterpoint
AG
RafterAg223 said:

DBSwooper said:

carpe vinum said:

The City of CS put out a podcast about new stuff coming. I couldn't get it to play but the narrative had a few new things listed and confirmed the Brazilian Steakhouse.
Brazilian steakhouse? That's a lot! More like a Brazilian chicken finger places.
The Brazilian steakhouse is going to be run by individuals with more than 2 decades of experience running these types of establishments around the country. The individual that is executing this project does not do anything half way and this restaurant will be a major asset to the whole B/CS dining scene once completed.
DB's comment was meant to be a joke! (I laughed)
Frio Cielo
I appears like at least half the new commercial construction in these two cities are nail salons, donut shops, emergency medical clinics, and hamburger joints.

All of which we had enough of already.

Anyone know what's going in at the corner of George Bush and Texas Ave South?
Fleen
Latest word on Aldi's? Lights are on, signs are up...
FlyRod
Lights also on and activity going on inside what used to be Zapato's Cantina on Northgate, next to the juice bar. No signage.
Scruffy
AG
It's the sales office for aspen cottage or something like that.
WildlifeAg02
I read somewhere Aldi's was opening in December. I've been (im)patiently waiting!
HRGuy
AG
SIAP

Looks like the rental / sales yard for utility trucks and bucket trucks has left the building located at the very north end of Texas Ave next to FedEx.

Yard is completely empty and sign is down.
It is time to put the chairs in the wagon
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
SIAP...what happened to Rick's Golf Cars? I see that Aggieland Golf Cars opened right down the road about the same time Rick's closed. Same owner with new name/location, or no?
ChampsAg
Rick's sold out to Aggieland. They are in the process of growing.
ThunderCatsHOOOO!
Saw the lights on and a lit Open sign in the old Grand Dandys location last night. Anyone know what's going on? There was no signage of a new establishment.
newsjunkie
Quote:

Saw the lights on and a lit Open sign in the old Grand Dandys location last night. Anyone know what's going on? There was no signage of a new establishment.
It's the new Gumby's South. I heard the signs should be up within a couple of days. Soft opening yesterday as far as I know.
Looking forward to Gumby rolls and jalepeno ranch on the side!
Max06
AG
SIAP- MadTaco sign is up on the lot behind TeaToGo.
atm86
AG
Zaxby's is open.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.