BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2016)

537,973 Views | 1547 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tailgate88
fcag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
So looks like a little of both, sharing and replacing existing building? Hard to tell. Looks like it will be a nice big Academy.

The only thing the new academy will overlap with is the outer ring of the existing parking lot on that land. It will not replace/share any of the existing building.
F Troop91
Looks like CVS has taken over the Medicine Chest Pharmacy on 29th.
toolshed
AG
quote:
Here's the link to the proposed Academy

https://maps.cstx.gov/pdspublic/NDL%20Drawings/PP2016-000014.tif?sortby=
That's a link to the new subdivision at the speedway.

I am having trouble seeing the value in moving to the proposed location in front of Lynntech. a quick view of a satellite image of the area doesn't show the footprint of the proposed location to be much larger than where they are now.
eloc62
Anybody heard anything lately about Carp's, that new sports bar located near Tower Pointe, close to Taco Casa, that was supposed to be open before football season? nothing going on in there. still looks the same as it did in June. sign still up.
Bunk Moreland
Based purely on the lack of any progress all summer, I'd expect to never see Carps open for business
Aggie
AG
quote:
The larger Academy store is NOT a rumor

Academy Sports & Outdoors (SP2016-000052): 2495 Earl Rudder Freeway South; A Site Plan for a sports and outdoor store.

Oh thank the lord
The college Station Academy is a joke.
About half the size of other Academy's

BigBubba
AG
quote:
quote:
Here's the link to the proposed Academy

https://maps.cstx.gov/pdspublic/NDL%20Drawings/PP2016-000014.tif?sortby=
That's a link to the new subdivision at the speedway.

I am having trouble seeing the value in moving to the proposed location in front of Lynntech. a quick view of a satellite image of the area doesn't show the footprint of the proposed location to be much larger than where they are now.
Here is the correct link.

https://maps.cstx.gov/pdspublic/NDL%20Drawings/SP2016-000052.tif?sortby=

The new store is only 72,767 sq ft as compared to the current 50,368. I really thought they would go bigger with the new store.
Average Joe
AG
It's been there longer than a lot of other ones.
OnlyANobody
This may be a stupid question, and has perhaps been addressed before, but I haven't seen it. Will the new Academy be in addition to or replacement of the existing store?
PS3D
quote:
This may be a stupid question, and has perhaps been addressed before, but I haven't seen it. Will the new Academy be in addition to or replacement of the existing store?
The existing Academy will close. We're not nearly at the point where they can consider keeping two Academy sporting goods stores open within a short proximity. Maybe Houston or Dallas and if then, only because of wildly different demographics/overcrowded stores so they won't cannibalize each other/lease issues.
D_Wag97
AG
So will the old Academy become a church?
aggiepaintrain
AG
Are we to assume Pappadeaux's is backing out?
KidDoc
AG
quote:
Are we to assume Pappadeaux's is backing out?

My understanding is that they were not expecting to open until next year anyway, is that not correct?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
95_Aggie
AG
I believe their original date for starting construction was 2017.
FlyRod
They might be tracking growth trends, and holding off until a few thousand more people settle here.
95_Aggie
AG
Or we could just make stuff up
Geop84
AG
The guy sitting beside me at Lucky Nails getting a pedicure told me that he is in the process of building a Foga de Chao's type Brazilian steakhouse called Casa du Brazil out by the big HEB at Fitch and 6.

soso33
quote:
The guy sitting beside me at Lucky Nails getting a pedicure told me that he is in the process of building a Foga de Chao's type Brazilian steakhouse called Casa du Brazil out by the big HEB at Fitch and 6.

I just got the meat sweats from reading that.
carpe vinum
AG
quote:

A year or so ago this was discussed. If I recall it was slated for Caprock near Wright Dental.
FlyRod
Pappadeaux and a Foga de Chao?

I fear the cardiac wards in town are about to be overrun with the "We don't need a [fill in the blank], we have all we need already!" crowd...
toolshed
AG
quote:

"Insert half the responses on this thread"

It's been explained numerous times that they are working on their site development plan. Once the old building was demolished they had a news story that they would need to rework the site to eliminate the retention area that was under the old building. That involves more permits and drawings than we'd like think about, I'd expect.

Just because we don't see progress doesn't mean things aren't happening.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:

holy cow. if this is true this is a GAME CHANGER. i hope our market can support such a place. Fogo and Chama both run around $65 for dinner (minus drinks and dessert).

even if the price point is say a third less can the market handle a $40 per meal joint?

i'd love to see it here as I'd be there once a month at least but just wondering about the market.
Oogway
quote:
quote:

"Insert half the responses on this thread"

It's been explained numerous times that they are working on their site development plan. Once the old building was demolished they had a news story that they would need to rework the site to eliminate the retention area that was under the old building. That involves more permits and drawings than we'd like think about, I'd expect.

Just because we don't see progress doesn't mean things aren't happening.

^^you have just described my brain's thought processes, kinda scary!

Has anyone heard anymore about a west side grocery store?
AgFan1999
AG
Fogo is $52 for dinner in Houston.
FlyRod
quote:
i hope our market can support such a place. Fogo and Chama both run around $65 for dinner (minus drinks and dessert).

I bet the average diner at Veritas drops that much...easily.
jrhmc
AG
quote:
quote:

holy cow. if this is true this is a GAME CHANGER. i hope our market can support such a place. Fogo and Chama both run around $65 for dinner (minus drinks and dessert).

even if the price point is say a third less can the market handle a $40 per meal joint?

i'd love to see it here as I'd be there once a month at least but just wondering about the market.
Most of the nicer places and the sushi places can run you around $40 per head easily and they seem to stay open. Or maybe it's just when I take my child that the sushi places seem to run that high. She can eat her body weight in sushi and has expensive tastes.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:

IMO no, this area cannot support that level of restaurant. Even the high end joints (Christopher's, Republic, Veritas) are under $40 a plate for most of the food.

I would love to be wrong however.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:

This reads like a quote from Ferris Bueller.
jja79
AG
At The Republic add $7 for a side and $8 for a salad to your $39 steak. It's pricey.

I love Chama Gaucho, Foga, etc but I can't see any way a Brazilian steakhouse makes it in BCS.
Max06
AG
quote:

Little guy, 5' something, thin, wry?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
At The Republic add $7 for a side and $8 for a salad to your $39 steak. It's pricey.

I love Chama Gaucho, Foga, etc but I can't see any way a Brazilian steakhouse makes it in BCS.
even Houston is starting to have a cheaper version of these places pop up. my cousin living down there was telling me he went to some place that was a lot cheaper. only thing is the salad bar wasn't near as nice as Fogo or Chama and the don't have some of the cuts/flavors that Chama and Fogo have. they didn't have Garlic Beef which imho is an absolute necessity when having Brazilian.
KidDoc
AG
quote:

Good point! But one of the issues with the Fogo type places is they likely have a lot of very expensive food waste due to being buffet style and salad bar. I don't even want to think about how much high quality meat/$$ they throw away each day due to being a bit slow that day. That contrasts to the cook-to-order gourmet places where they should have minimal waste.

I've never run a Fogo or any other restaurant other than Pizza Hut and Subway back in the college years so I could be wrong, but I bet the Brazilian style places have to be pretty busy daily to stay profitable.
isitjustme
AG
Truth be told, you can run up Chilis, Applebees, Sodolaks, Cotton Patch, or Longhorn to $40/person if everyone wants their own appetizer, dessert, and a soft drink in addition to their $10-$20 entre. That's w/o alcohol. But most people don't do that at those places.

When Pappadeaux finally opens, I think it will do great. The Brazilian place probably won't do as well since they will have a set minimum price well above most other restaurants. But I hope they both open and both do well.
Geop84
AG
quote:
quote:

Little guy, 5' something, thin, wry?
That is him. Got a super deluxe pedicure and a manicure.

BTW, I am female so you don't get to make fun of me for being at a nail shop.
Max06
AG
He's a very well established, very successful business man. I don't think he has any experience in the food industry though, but as long as he hires good management he should be fine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.