BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2016)

538,172 Views | 1547 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tailgate88
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag
AG
Looks like an April Fools joke.
FlyRod
Yes Techno, it does. Glad it was a joke.
95_Aggie
AG
Never heard of the place
cslifer
That is sad to hear. We like going there for the fresh oysters. Does anyone know anywhere else in town to get them?
Tailgate88
AG
quote:

Ce le vie. Back to heading to Austin and Houston with a cooler full of ice.

Where do you take that cooler of ice in Austin and Houston to fill it up?

More specifically... anyone know the closest place to buy fresh gulf shrimp? We used to have a guy who came to our office once a month or so that had fish, shrimp etc. caught on his son's boats. He had different routes that he drove every day and stops in every town.

Also there used to be a place on 290 that started as a white van and moved into a building - "Fresh Shrimp, Low Price". I don't mind driving 45 minutes to an hour to get some good fresh shrimp...
halibut sinclair
It was nowhere near the bypass.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Fred & Fred Seafood announced they are closing for good in two weeks.
Are you 100% sure about this? I saw the letter dated April 1 on the F&F Facebook page, and there's a hashtag at the bottom that says #HappyAprilFoolsDay.
jja79
AG
Possibly the dumbest move ever by a business if that's true.
FlyRod

Tailgate: In Austin I go to Central Market or some place on Airport Blvd...Quality Seafood or Capitol Seafood?

In Houston, that giant Asian market...Hong Kong Something? Sorry bad with names today.

As for shrimp, dunno. I had some at a friend's beach house on Bolivar that were almost life changing, and probably spoiled me for shrimp now.
Luisfigo
I sure hope it is a prank. I just discovered them and liked a lot what I bought. I was planning to go this weekend again.

https://www.facebook.com/Fredandfredseafood/photos/a.1447649078792063.1073741828.1417872341769737/1787339411489693/?type=3&theater

Tailgate88
AG
quote:

As for shrimp, dunno. I had some at a friend's beach house on Bolivar that were almost life changing, and probably spoiled me for shrimp now.
Same problem I've got. We go to Port A every year and I buy them fresh off the PollyAnna. Once you've had fresh boiled shrimp, the stuff you get in the grocery store just doesn't cut it.
K2T2
quote:
Fred & Fred Seafood announced they are closing for good in two weeks.
In bold letters at the bottom is says #HappyAprilFoolsDay - never ever ever believe anything you read on the internet on April 1!! I put April Fools jokes up there with dad jokes. Sooo sooo bad.
ratfacemcdougal
Well, they did get darn near a full page of discussion on TexAgs and at least one new customer
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
It was nowhere near the bypass.

location location location
TexAg1987
quote:
Demolition has begun on the old Scott and white.
I drove around it today. Not sure how they are getting by without site fencing.

Good to see tho.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Anybody gotten crawfish from Fred and Fred's? Anybody know current price? We were just gonna get them from heb but we are having a pretty big crowd for my ring dunk on Saturday and doing a crawfish boil.
C XX I
Please edit this and following posts immediately. False information.
australopithecus robustus
Just had Mighty Slice pizza at The Backyard. It was amazing. Wow, just wow. NY style, huge and delicious crust.
FlyRod
Didn't The Backyard open some years ago?
redd38
AG
quote:
Please edit this and following posts immediately. False information.

The business apparently wanted false information out there, why should it be removed from here?
australopithecus robustus
Yes Backyard has been open. But, they rolled out Mighty Slice Pizza inside the place this week and it's amazing.
summergal
Austin - Quality Seafood. Been going there for over 40 years.
FlyRod
While grabbing a coffee at Minuti this morning, I was told that the owner of Russo's New York Pizzeria in Houston was inquiring about the space where Toastie's Subs was in Northpoint.

Never heard of it but the online menu looks interesting.
isitjustme
AG
quote:
While grabbing a coffee at Minuti this morning, I was told that the owner of Russo's New York Pizzeria in Houston was inquiring about the space where Toastie's Subs was in Northpoint.

Never heard of it but the online menu looks interesting.
I've eaten at a Russo's in Galveston. It's pretty good. Order at counter and get a number. Full bar as well. Lots of families and non-familes were there and everyone seemed to be happy - our group sure was.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Russo's in Pflugerville also seems to draw a good crowd...
BlueMiles
AG
Toasties is already gone?
C XX I
quote:
Toasties Subs in Northpoint is closing...not sure they even made it a year. Too bad, as they probably had the best and most interesting sandwich selection in town, and some good tacos to boot.
Post from 1/18/16

(not being a smartass about it, just answering your question)
BlueMiles
AG
Thank you
bcstx06
Looks like Bryan will be getting 2 trampoline parks. One in the Target Center called Jumping world:
http://www.jumpingworldusa.com/
And one in Village Foods old location that will be 30,000 sq-ft. Does that mean ALDI isn't going in to this spot, or will it be divided into two or more spaces?
Urban Air Trampoline Park Secures Bryan, Texas Location

Jumping World

Urban Air:

halibut sinclair
Aldi is only using a third of the space.
Scruffy
AG
quote:

Outside my (many north gate people's walking distance) and how many other "townies" know where to park?

Only know of one person to go to world of beer. He went because they jade native beers. Had a buddy work there. He transferred to a Dallas location because between their price points and the difficulty getting people in it wasn't a good store.
BlueMiles
AG
I guess I thought they had a more "captive" market.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:

Outside my (many north gate people's walking distance) and how many other "townies" know where to park?

Only know of one person to go to world of beer. He went because they jade native beers. Had a buddy work there. He transferred to a Dallas location because between their price points and the difficulty getting people in it wasn't a good store.
I've gone to WoB about monthly and it is usually fairly busy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CDub06
AG
I know a lot of people that frequent WoB. They are not hurting.

I have a Russo's across the street from my office. It's fine. Nice selection of pasta in addition to the big New York slices. Fast Casual order at the counter lunch service and waitstaff for a traditional dinner service.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.