BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2016)

538,011 Views | 1547 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tailgate88
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
From Mad Taco's Facebook page and Twitter. Construction complications has caused their gas to be turned off:

"Unfortunately we had to close for the time being until further notice. We will keep all of y'all posted for when we plan to re-open, so continue checking here or on Facebook!"

mAgnoliAg
AG
quote:
quote:
I can't think of where that would be?
I seem to recall a grocery store wanted to build at the south east corner of Wellborn and 2818, but the homeowners there were throwing a fit.

Heb I think was gonna put yet another location there
K2T2
quote:
From Mad Taco's Facebook page and Twitter. Construction complications has caused their gas to be turned off:

"Unfortunately we had to close for the time being until further notice. We will keep all of y'all posted for when we plan to re-open, so continue checking here or on Facebook!"
They posted the gas is back on and they're open. You damn near gave me a heart attack!
jac4
AG
quote:
quote:
SW Pkwy Kroger closing
It may not have been very profitable, but without it to anchor that strip center that place is going to turn into yet another black hole of retail space.

They seriously should just tear down the entire complex and maybe put a few larger chain restaurants in the lot.

Where are all of the international students going to go to the grocery store now? It's a long walk to the HEB on Texas and Harvey.
taxpreparer
AG
Nevermind them, I have shopped atvtgat Kroger since it opened. Where am I going to shop? Not HEB!
patrick.redmill
The Kroger leaving SW Parkway is the best news I've heard in a while. A) they blocked the Taz folks from opening an Indian grocery in the same shopping center. B.) It was creepy and there was no reason to go there instead of the Texas HEB.

I'd love to see the BCS Asian Market move there. I think the increased patronage would justify the lease hike and they desperately need a new space.
mAgnoliAg
AG
That's weird there's not one on Texas and Harvey and what's the point of bringing international students into this?
AggiePhil
AG
Someone on here said Kroger was going to build at the SE corner of HMP and Holleman South.
Clo004
I for one will miss that Kroger. It was close to my house though admittedly I did go to the one on Rock Prairie more often since it is a better store. I'm sure I will cause an uproar but I cannot stand HEB...like any of them
taxpreparer
AG
Lots of reasons not to go to HEB at Texas & Holleman; bad access, horribly laid out parking lot, the rat maze of the produce department.
PS3D
As much as I disliked that Kroger (I used it for convenience purchases, like if I was getting my haircut), at least we still have a choice. It's not like Waco or San Antonio, where H-E-B is pretty much your only choice for mainstream grocery stores.
jac4
AG
quote:
That's weird there's not one on Texas and Harvey and what's the point of bringing international students into this?

You know what I mean. I'm sorry I was off by a block. On Texas NEAR Harvey.

As for the international students, it was an observation and comment that a lot of them live along the SWP corridor and can be seen walking to and from that Kroger daily.
ChampsAg
What is going on in north Bryan at Water Locust. Huge building with multiple ramps.
AggieAces06
AG
quote:
Lots of reasons not to go to HEB at Texas & Holleman; bad access, horribly laid out parking lot, the rat maze of the produce department.

They actually redid the produce department so you don't have to walk all the way through it. You can go right past it now.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
quote:

You know what I mean. I'm sorry I was off by a block. On Texas NEAR Harvey.

As for the international students, it was an observation and comment that a lot of them live along the SWP corridor and can be seen walking to and from that Kroger daily.
I live near the area and shop at that Kroger on a regular basis and that is absolutely not true. I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make with that kind of statement.
DontBeTriggered
They need to go ahead and tear that Kroger shopping center down and start fresh and new. I just hope it doesn't sit dilapidated for years housing another Halloween store and being an eyesore. That's prime real estate close to campus and it could really shine.
australopithecus robustus
It frankly makes no financial sense for them to redevelop after they just spent easily six, maybe seven figures returning it and it's almost completely leased already.

You never know, a new anchor may already be lined up that we will love.
patrick.redmill
Writing has been on the wall for the SW Pkwy Kroger for quite some time. Despite it's location, it's almost always a ghost town in there, which I guess is why it never got any meaningful updates.

For the vast majority of folks, a Rock Prairie-grade Kroger on 2818 is an obvious win. We don't need two grocery stores 1/4 of a mile apart on Texas. I, personally, wouldn't venture out to 2818 and Wellborn often, but I'd guess that's an underserved area. I WILL be happy to have another clean, modern option in town.

As for what goes in the old spot, I highly doubt it stays empty like the Linens and Things on University, but it probably won't be a grocery store either. The Kroger vs. HEB fight on that stretch should be a cautionary tale. My guess is something that complements the Steinmart. I could see a niche budget or ethnic grocery there, but that's mostly wishful thinking on my part.
PS3D
quote:
It frankly makes no financial sense for them to redevelop after they just spent easily six, maybe seven figures returning it and it's almost completely leased already.

You never know, a new anchor may already be lined up that we will love.
"Almost completely leased"? Even before Kroger decided to pull the plug, there were lots of empty spaces on the Southwest Parkway side, and the Half Price Books/College Depot space is still empty.
aggies_2001
AG
Anyone know when they might be breaking ground on the new Gold's?
carpe vinum
AG
They are already moving dirt for Gold's and Pet Smart.
enchanted
A Sprouts would be good in the Kroger location.
australopithecus robustus
Last I looked, it was about 85% full, even with half price gone.

Now, if the tenant for the Kroger space isn't lined up, or they don't get one in a year or two, then things may change but I really doubt it.
UmustBKidding
Mugwalls is gone
mAgnoliAg
AG
quote:
Mugwalls is gone

U must b kidding
UmustBKidding
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Mugwalls is gone

Summertime can be tough on hip coffee shops with puntastic names in bcs
Look Out Below
AG
That place had been there quite a long time
CrazyAgE
quote:
Someone on here said Kroger was going to build at the SE corner of HMP and Holleman South.

Talking with one of the managers I know at Kroger, he said it is a possibility to build out at 47 and Villa Maria. And I have also heard that HEB holds the land there at 40 & Wellborn. I guess we will see
DontBeTriggered
Mugwalls went downhill. I don't know what happened. The toilets stopped being cleaned about two years ago, the coffee changed then too. The baked goods were awful. What happened? I used to love it!
DontBeTriggered
Another year for Gold's and it won't be 24 hour. Just talked to the staff this week about it.
AgProgrammer
AG
Posted by the door at Mugwalls. Baristas were given no notice. I think a series of unfortunate decisions over the past 2 years had really made Mugwalls an unpleasant atmosphere. Prime location next to all of the sorority houses but the place was a dump.

Counterpoint
AG
quote:
The toilets stopped being cleaned about two years ago, the coffee changed then too.
Hopefully not related!
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Nevermind them, I have shopped atvtgat Kroger since it opened. Where am I going to shop? Not HEB!

Why would anyone want to shop at a Kroger when there are HEBs? Unless you just prefer dirty grocery stores stuck in the past.
taxpreparer
AG
I have already given my opinion of HEB at Texas & Holleman.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.