BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2016)

538,191 Views | 1547 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tailgate88
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The guy sitting beside me at Lucky Nails getting a pedicure told me that he is in the process of building a Foga de Chao's type Brazilian steakhouse called Casa du Brazil out by the big HEB at Fitch and 6.

ThunderCatsHOOOO!
quote:
quote:
The guy sitting beside me at Lucky Nails getting a pedicure told me that he is in the process of building a Foga de Chao's type Brazilian steakhouse called Casa du Brazil out by the big HEB at Fitch and 6.

holy cow. if this is true this is a GAME CHANGER. i hope our market can support such a place. Fogo and Chama both run around $65 for dinner (minus drinks and dessert).

even if the price point is say a third less can the market handle a $40 per meal joint?

i'd love to see it here as I'd be there once a month at least but just wondering about the market.

I think the answer to that is yes. Republic, Veritas, Christopher's, all run above those prices. Plus there is plenty of need for diversity in the restaurant market here. As long as it's not another chicken, burger or tex mex place, the market should be able to handle it.
FlyRod
The thing about those *pricey* places is you don't need to rack up a huge bill either, if you're careful. Have a few apps, or one of the smaller steaks for example. Many of the entrees at Veritas offer smaller portions of the main course for half the price (though they don't publicize this very widely). No one will look at you funny if you don't order the most expensive thing(s) on the menus at these places.

Also, we are getting an increase in out of town convention/conference/workshop folks on expense accounts, so that will help keep such restaurants afloat as well. Those people aren't looking for burgers and chicken fingers.
Geop84
AG
quote:
He's a very well established, very successful business man. I don't think he has any experience in the food industry though, but as long as he hires good management he should be fine.
He said he had no intentions of running it. Just building it.
beer.morebeer.mostbeer
Can we get back to "Coming and Going?"
FlyRod
Brazilian style steakhouse: possibly "coming," apparently.

Verified "coming": Taqueria Esmeralda, downtown Bryan.
DigDogDoo
Thanks! The last link I was looking at was the new Speedway neighborhood.
happyinBCS
When is Aldi opening?
halibut sinclair
quote:
When is Aldi opening?
Seeing as how the building is an empty shell, I'm guessing it will be a good while.
texasaggie04
AG
Been hearing rumors that Halo might not be coming back. Anybody know anything about that?
FlyRod
It seemed like a pretty popular and successful business. Why don't you want it to re-open?
TsunamiVox
Heard they are remodeling and expanding.

Can't understand why anyone wouldn't want the place to re-open. Takes all kinds I guess...
Counterpoint
AG
quote:

Can't understand why anyone wouldn't want the place to re-open. Takes all kinds I guess...
And two people have starred his reply too.
texasaggie04
AG
quote:

Nothing seems to be moving over there. I hope it will be back eventually, but haven't heard anything positive recently.
Scruffy
AG
It's my understanding that with Halo closed, the "defacto" bar for that market is (or was last spring) Bar 12 on northgate.
This comes from bar staff on northgate and others with ties to that demographic.

I knew a lot of "straight" people (particularly females) who enjoyed Halo.
I hope it opens back up.

I also think we should have another teetery since the sock is closed. I don't patronize those places, but there are plenty of people who would and that means money being spent.
FlyRod
Guessing the (as of now) 8 people who starred the anti-Halo post are trolls from the Politics Board who decided to slither over from that open sewer.

In other news, anyone know when Twisted Noodle is opening? And yes I realize the potential for jokes connecting this and the Halo posts...
threecatcorner
Twisted Noodle has opened. They don't seem to be doing the hours their website says yet though.
La Fours
AG
quote:
Twisted Noodle has opened. They don't seem to be doing the hours their website says yet though.

http://twistednoodlecafetx.com/#!/page_About

That link has the hours. Mon-Sat 11am-10pm. Sunday 12-10.
FlyRod
On Highway 21, near 2818, there appears to be a new barbecue place called Big Easy.
threecatcorner
The reason I say they are not doing those hours yet is that I saw it was already closed by 9 p.m. Friday and did not look like it had just closed, and the website says they are open until 10 on Friday. So, I do not know what hours they are actually doing, but the "coming soon" sign is gone, and it looks like it had opened.
La Fours
AG
quote:
The reason I say they are not doing those hours yet is that I saw it was already closed by 9 p.m. Friday and did not look like it had just closed, and the website says they are open until 10 on Friday. So, I do not know what hours they are actually doing, but the "coming soon" sign is gone, and it looks like it had opened.
Oh my bad. I misread your original post. I read it as you didn't see their hours posted on the website.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
quote:

Lamb meat noodle. WANT!
FlyRod
[edited for pointless kvetching]
Scruffy
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lamb meat noodle. WANT!

They make noodles from meat?
That's awesome!
ZoneClubber
AG
Budget Brazilian steak house? What could go wrong?

AggiePhil
AG
Oh please God no. Fogo de Cho is bad enough as is.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
Oh please God no. Fogo de Cho is bad enough as is.
we are all entitled to our own opinions of course but are you just not a fan of beef?
jrhmc
AG
quote:
We went by there yesterday and they aren't open until this coming Saturday, Sept. 10. The little Open sign is in the window of the Subway next door, not the Twisted Noodle window.
AggiePhil
AG
Oh I love beef. Maybe I just caught them on an off day. All but one cut was incredibly tough. This was at the downtown Austin location.
summergal
I get ya. The dude that was sitting next to me at Schlotzsky's a million years ago told me that he was opening a place to view Christmas lights....Santa's Wonderland. Yah, right?

This kind of place would make the husband very happy.
FlyRod
There appears to be a new BBQ place on Hwy 21, not that far from Shannon's. Sign out says "Big Easy Pit BBQ." Could find no information about it.

[and CDub06, I haven't tried it, so your opinion doesn't have to be tainted by my experience!]
bcstx06

711 University Dr., College Station

95_Aggie
AG
Kind of dwarfs Notes & Quotes
WildlifeAg02
Aeropostale is closing. Looks like the company filed for bankruptcy.
summergal
Okay, why are they moving dirt again by Wheeler Ridge?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.