Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,919 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Jock 07
fav13andac1)c
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spending some time in the hill country and stopped by Valentina's for lunch. Delicious. Brisket had a nice rendered fat cap and a flavorful bark. The wife's chicken fajita taco (controversial, I know) was also outstanding.

They're also in an amazing spot here in Buda. Brand new, rustic building.

Aggie Therapist
AG
I don't think I have ever heard Buda and "hill country" in the sentence.

But out of technicality I guess so.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

I don't think I have ever heard Buda and "hill country" in the sentence.

But out of technicality I guess so.

Drove over from Dripping Springs.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Dripping Springs. The restaurant at Treaty Oak is epic!
Chipotlemonger
AG
That looks spectacular.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Definitely didn't disappoint. The owners (husband and wife) were both there.

Pretty cool stuff. I have a lot of respect for family-run businesses and I'm so glad to see them have success.

Side note, I guess they're smoking off-site, because the husband showed up and the sold out signs on a few select menu items came down.

Thanks for the rec for Treaty Oak. We went to Abby Jane's bake shop (right next door) yesterday and it was so good.
tsuag10
AG

RED AG 98
AG
I don't hate the player at all, but I absolutely hate the game that got us here.
agcrock2005
AG
Well this is getting interesting... Panther City guys aren't sitting back letting some crook get away with trying to steal their pit.

Texas barbecue restaurant owner explains why he believes nearby cafe stole his equipment
RED AG 98
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Well this is getting interesting... Panther City guys aren't sitting back letting some crook get away with trying to steal their pit.

Texas barbecue restaurant owner explains why he believes nearby cafe stole his equipment
Geez people suck. I absolutely hate a thief. This guy should do some real time.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Pit room the other night

Hard to beat for all day bbq
Aggie09Derek
AG
Going to Leroy & Lewis today (backup option Terry Blacks) - any must have items?
bushytailed
AG
Tickets for Troubadour Festival in College Station just went on sale. It is scheduled for Saturday 5/18 in Aggie Park. VIP tickets are $225 and BBQ-music tickets are $125.

https://www.troubadourfestival.com
RED AG 98
AG
BBQ tickets secured for Troubadour Festival. Should be a great time!
McGibblets
AG
I went a couple weekends back. Their specialty is beef cheeks, but they were not doing them when I went as they've got a lot going on with trying to get their brick and mortar started
Beef Cheek
AG
Get the pork chop if we still have one
TequilaMockingbird
Anybody have any intel on Giddings City Market BBQ? I was reading the newsletter for The Daytripper show and they mention Ms. Tootsie (Snow's in Lexington) is involved somehow?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I believe she and her husband worked there for a very long time until his early death.
RED AG 98
AG
I know it's a pretty generic name, but any relation to the Luling City Market folks? That's my favorite of the old Central Texas joints.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Due to weather today we audibled to Terry Blacks

Next time in town definitely want to go to your brick and mortar.

Corn and Beef Rib were next level - everything very good.

Aggie Therapist
AG
Wow, that's only 30 mins south of me.

Edit: Leroy and Lewis that is.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I know it's a pretty generic name, but any relation to the Luling City Market folks? That's my favorite of the old Central Texas joints.

Not too sure, but that may be a question for @CenTexSmoke. Maybe he will chime in here and answer…
JCRiley09
AG
The "bbq joints" were actual markets that had to cook the meats that wouldn't sell in the butcher area. So a lot of old joints have similar market related names.
tsuag10
AG
JCRiley09 said:

The "bbq joints" were actual markets that had to cook the meats that wouldn't sell in the butcher area. So a lot of old joints have similar market related names.
Exactly. That's why the first TX BBQ was shoulder clod and brisket because those were the toughest (least tender) and hardest to sell.

Beef was more common in TX than pork, so that's why brisket is the king of TX BBQ and pork is the king of BBQ in the southeast.

BBQ was a version of what is called "value added" in the meat and poultry business, along with sausage, ham, etc. Value added processed meats is now a massive portion of the broader protein industry, but it started simply out of necessity.
Sethtevious
Beef Cheek said:

Get the pork chop if we still have one
Sir, you are being paged.

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3442277
TequilaMockingbird
Cowboy Curtis said:

I believe she and her husband worked there for a very long time until his early death.
I'm assuming she still does something there, according to the Day Tripper episode preview.

I was just curious because I am near Giddings about once a month or so. My sister says she has eaten there and was not particularly impressed, but that was a while ago.
512Ag
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

Cowboy Curtis said:

I'm assuming she still does something there, according to the Day Tripper episode preview.

I was just curious because I am near Giddings about once a month or so. My sister says she has eaten there and was not particularly impressed, but that was a while ago.
I stop in every now and then when driving between Austin and Houston. Brisket is fine, but nothing special. The sausage is pretty good. If it's on your route, give it a shot. I wouldn't say it's worth a trip out of your way, though.
Beef Cheek
AG
Got it! Thanks
Aggie09Derek
AG
Not BBQ but this steak I had last night was great and cooked perfectly

Aggie Therapist
AG
Where?
DiskoTroop
Someone's backyard surely…
Aggie09Derek
AG
Jeffrey's in Austin

26oz Chateaubriand cut
Aggie Therapist
AG
Thanks bro

20 mins away from me
Mustang1
AG
Quantos pesos amigo?
Koldus131
AG
Lunch today at Cattleack. On the left is one of this week's specials - 1/2 lb of Wagyu hanger steak for $20. Tasted like a phenomenal strip steak. Everything else was great as usual.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.