Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

498,005 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Jock 07
G-Town Cracker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ripped dude appears to be talking to lobbyist Luis Saenz, Abbott's former chief of staff, and possibly Ken Paxton, though it's hard to tell
agcrock2005
AG
G-Town Cracker said:

Ripped dude appears to be talking to lobbyist Luis Saenz, Abbott's former chief of staff, and possibly Ken Paxton, though it's hard to tell
Holy **** I think you are correct.
Saxsoon
AG
Texags knows stuff
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
tsuag10
AG
Guess Family BBQ in Waco today.

Brisket is pretty good. Fat is well rendered, but it's overall a little dry. I still think it's pretty comfortably Top 50 quality though. Sausage is good. Turkey is excellent, and probably top 5 I've ever had.

Also wanted to note the price. My meal with a drink was about $25. My plate yesterday at Terry Black's was over $40. I know it's Waco vs. Austin, but that's still a huge difference for not a huge difference in quality or quantity. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
gigemJTH12
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

Got to try out Dayne's Craft BBQ today. It was pretty solid but probably not in my top 5. The burger and sides were pretty damn good though.

this is one of the better looking plates thats been posted here in a while. damn
tsuag10
AG
Micklethwait in Austin today. Brisket was great. Citrus Habanero Sausage was pretty good.

Barbacoa was outstanding. It was like LeRoy & Lewis beef cheeks, but shredded.

Jalapeño Cheese Grits and Cowboy Beans were a pretty good combo.

It was my first time here, but it certainly won't be my last.

Edit: Apologies for the bad picture. I must have had some shmutz on my lens or something. Lol
BohunkAg
AG
tsuag10 said:

Guess Family BBQ in Waco today.

Brisket is pretty good. Fat is well rendered, but it's overall a little dry. I still think it's pretty comfortably Top 50 quality though. Sausage is good. Turkey is excellent, and probably top 5 I've ever had.

Also wanted to note the price. My meal with a drink was about $25. My plate yesterday at Terry Black's was over $40. I know it's Waco vs. Austin, but that's still a huge difference for not a huge difference in quality or quantity. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
you should've gotten the chicken fried steak.
BurnetAggie99
Never had a bad plate at Micklethwait's. They do an outstanding job on everything. I try get by there once a week.

We have our work quarterly monthly employee appreciation and Micklethwait's caters cause that's what is voted on every time.
fav13andac1)c
AG
It's public knowledge at this point, but Smolik's in Mathis has sold. The long time owners are ready to spend more time with the grandkids. Curious to see what happens with the restaurant quality and such. It was top 50 at one point in time.
wadd96
AG
Heading back to ATX Saturday for Billy Strings... Trying.to figure out where to stop for lunch... Thinking.(John) Brothertons to catch up with old friend...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Fairview20
AG
A few of us are thinking about heading to Valentina's in the morning. Anyone have an idea on what type of wait we'd be looking at if we get there around 9?
BurnetAggie99
Shouldn't be that bad of a wait. Moves fast plus usually don't have any issues with getting a table. Valentina's is one of my favorite spots.
Fairview20
AG
Great to hear! Thanks!
AgsWin2011
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Shouldn't be that bad of a wait. Moves fast plus usually don't have any issues with getting a table. Valentina's is one of my favorite spots.

Valentina's is money. The only time I got to try it, it was in the 20s and freezing rain. I didn't even have to chew. I chattered. Wish they had HVAC for the hot/cold months.
RED AG 98
AG
Fair warning, my experience is vastly different from above. The last few times I've been I've had to wait a couple of hours. Haven't ever arrived as early as 9 but by 11 I would expect to wait a bit. I love it -- it's fantastic and one of my favorite spots as well.
TequilaMockingbird
Brett's Backyard BBQ in Rockdale will be opening back up this Sunday June 4th in a new location down the street from the old place. Looks like Sundays only for now.

https://www.facebook.com/Brettsbackyardbarbque/
agcrock2005
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

Brett's Backyard BBQ in Rockdale will be opening back up this Sunday June 4th in a new location down the street from the old place. Looks like Sundays only for now.

https://www.facebook.com/Brettsbackyardbarbque/
That will make someone in this group very....VERY...happy!
wadd96
AG
Uh huh...
CenTexSmoke
Not sure if we have any posters near Castroville or SA, but we delivered pits yesterday for the guys from 2M's new concept going into Castroville. This is easily going to be one of the nicest/coolest restaurant setups in BBQ. Restaurant space was originally an old meat processing plant. Super cool space without giving too much away. Shooting to be open no later than September. Top 50 related because it'll be in contention for sure.
aggie2812-2
AG
When are y'all rolling out that small smoker you posted on instagram?
CenTexSmoke
Going to make a post about them this week, will be available for sale on the website probably not this week, but next week.
tsuag10
AG
Roegel's on Voss today. 1st one in line.

Everything is excellent as always.

No way they aren't on the next Top 50.

CenTexSmoke
Most folks would say no way they shouldn't have been on the last top 50.
tsuag10
AG
CenTexSmoke said:

Most folks would say no way they shouldn't have been on the last top 50.
100% agree
SalesAg13
AG
Heading to Knoxville, TN this week. Anywhere worth trying?
wadd96
AG
It will depend on your route, however, blakes at Southern milling in Martin is excellent. Tennessean doing Texas stuff.
SalesAg13
AG
Sadly, flying directly into Knoxville.
AgsWin2011
AG
We went through Knoxville a couple summers ago on our way to the Smokies. We are a at a little hole in the wall southern comfort food place called Jackie's Dream. Not bbq, but still really good food like grandmama used to make. We got the "Knoxville" hot chicken with okra and mashed potatoes and gravy.

I asked how hot it was and she said pretty hot so I just did medium. The taste was amazing but it wasn't hot at all. Maybe she said that because I'm white and figured I couldn't handle the heat, but we Texans like our spicy food.
Saxsoon
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

We went through Knoxville a couple summers ago on our way to the Smokies. We are a at a little hole in the wall southern comfort food place called Jackie's Dream. Not bbq, but still really good food like grandmama used to make. We got the "Knoxville" hot chicken with okra and mashed potatoes and gravy.

I asked how hot it was and she said pretty hot so I just did medium. The taste was amazing but it wasn't hot at all. Maybe she said that because I'm white and figured I couldn't handle the heat, but we Texans like our spicy food.
Whenever I go to an Indian or Asian restaurant and tell them to amp it up they look at me like an idiot white guy.

I grew up in El Paso, I don't have taste buds anymore.

If anyone wants to have better pepper flakes than red pepper for pizza, stews, eggs, etc, I recommend this company. I have used this stuff on chicken wings before

https://www.flatironpepper.com/

Their base blend is great about 80-110k scoville. They also have a bbq rub.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
wadd96
AG
Ugh!!!
ToddyHill
AG
We've lived in the Knoxville area since 2009. Sadly, Knoxville isn't a great restaurant town, and there are no great BBQ restaurants...at least what meet my expectations for Texas BBQ.

Surprisingly Tim Love has a restaurant here. Never been (the wife isn't wowed by the 'exoticness'), but if anyone is a fan of his cooking, it might be worth checking out.

Lonesome Dove Knoxville

Jock 07
AG
Saxsoon said:

AgsWin2011 said:

Whenever I go to an Indian or Asian restaurant and tell them to amp it up they look at me like an idiot white guy.

I grew up in El Paso, I don't have taste buds anymore.

If anyone wants to have better pepper flakes than red pepper for pizza, stews, eggs, etc, I recommend this company. I have used this stuff on chicken wings before

https://www.flatironpepper.com/

Their base blend is great about 80-110k scoville. They also have a bbq rub.

The local pizza place I went to when I was living out in CA had that stuff. It was really good, and a nice change from the usual red pepper.
tsuag10
AG
Tejas Chocolate & BBQ for my first time today.
Everything was really good, but I was especially impressed with the pork belly (far left) and the carrot souffle (bottom left). Very good overall.
schmendeler
AG
Huge oversight missing out on the chile relleno sausage
tsuag10
AG
Dang. I was thinking about it too. Next time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.