Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

456,877 Views | 3187 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Jock 07
Koldus131
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So does Cattleack
WestTexAG
AG
Coopers in Llano definitely uses this method and has for at least 5 years that i know of.
RED AG 98
AG
Probably all related to the counter-service food weighing bill from a few sessions back right (2017 so-called "BBQ Bill")?
BohunkAg
AG
None of these can beat Bill Miller's
Saxsoon
AG
schmendeler said:

Never seen grocery store deli-style bar code stickers before
Cattleack does it.
agcrock2005
AG
BohunkAg said:

You couldn't have been too many drinks in at 4:15 PM? I haven't had that place in years, but I did enjoy the occasional bean and cheese burrito with their salsa when I worked in SA for a year. BBQ was awful though.
tsuag10
AG
BohunkAg said:

I always have to explain to out-of-towners that Bill Miller is like the Burger King of BBQ.

But I agree on the breakfast tacos. And their tea.
TXAG 05
AG
tsuag10 said:

BohunkAg said:

I always have to explain to out-of-towners that Bill Miller is like the Burger King of BBQ.

But I agree on the breakfast tacos. And their tea.

Don't forget the fried chicken
wadd96
AG
I grew up in SA. "Uncle Bill's" was my McDonald.

Today, I know many places that make a better burger than McDonald's (haven't eaten one in 14 years) but I do still remember getting that Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

I feel the same about a brisket po' boy with sauce on the side and a baked potato.

Good back then, but know better now.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
SalesAg13
AG
I'm going to be in Blanco this weekend . Any suggestions for the trek from CS to and from Blanco on Sunday? I'm willing(eager) to go off the beaten path.
BurnetAggie99
If you're making your way through Burnet hit Warehouse BBQ and Meetery. It's open Friday through Sunday. They will make the next new Texas Monthly list. Get the Brisket, Ribs and Turkey. What's interesting is they smoke only with Live Oak
Cowboy Curtis
AG
LeRoy & Lewis is right off 71 in Austin
tsuag10
AG
Stopped at Putska Family BBQ in Temple yesterday. I might have caught them on an off day but I'm not sure.

The sides were ok, but nothing special. The sausage was pretty good. The brisket and ribs were very well seasoned and smoked, but both were tough and dry. Almost like they were cooked too fast and not rested long enough. I'm not sure if their sauce is house-made, but it was awesome.

I'm originally from the Temple area, so I'd love to see these guys succeed. I'll definitely check back with them again the next time I'm through.

CenTexSmoke
Lost access to my original account somehow, but I'm back! Hitting the Palmira pop up at Interstellar on Sunday in Austin for the start of their Spaced Cowboy series. Super excited!
mustang1234
agcrock2005 said:

BohunkAg said:

You couldn't have been too many drinks in at 4:15 PM? I haven't had that place in years, but I did enjoy the occasional bean and cheese burrito with their salsa when I worked in SA for a year. BBQ was awful though.
fried chicken is good...Bill can keep his BBQ
CaptnCarl
AG
Was able to dine at Evie Mae's outside Lubbock. Fan freakin tastic. Green chili grits were amazing and ribs were perfectly cooked.

Arrived at 10:45 AM and the line was starting to form. By the time we left the line was out the door with several dozen.
CaptnCarl
AG
Now, need some feedback. What's the line like at Franklins on a Sunday?
CenTexSmoke
Show up late, lose weight.
Wicked Good Ag
CaptnCarl said:

Now, need some feedback. What's the line like at Franklins on a Sunday?
Longer than the line at Snow's on Sunday ....much longer
CenTexSmoke
Spaced Cowboy Series today at Interstellar BBQ featuring Palmira BBQ of Charleston,SC. Great meal today, stars for me were Palmira's whole hog, it had a great pepper sauce with it. Interstellar's sides were fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed the chorizo cheese grits. We got one of everything on the menu so it's too much to break down.
AgsWin2011
AG
I definitely won't make Texas Monthly list, or any other list for that matter, but I was pretty happy with how these dino ribs turned out last night.

AustinCountyAg
was at a function in Austin last friday and they had Terry Black's cater. I gotta say the brisket was some of the best I've had in a damn long time. Super moist and great flavor. I was highly surprised especially since it was catered and not cooked onsite. Damn good.

Sausage was pretty crap IMO and sides were good, not great.
AgsWin2011
AG
I love TB's meats but their sides are sub par in my opinion. In the restaurant their jalapeño sausage is probably my favorite.
CenTexSmoke
For the amount of volume they're doing, it's really damn good.
CyAg
DiskoTroop
Burnt Bean snagging a Beard Nom
tsuag10
AG
2M Smokehouse in San Antonio. Much much better than my first time here.

Brisket was elite level. Ribs were great but could have been a tiny bit more tender. Corn was good and different. Chicharron Mac & Cheese was good and unique. Very good overall.

tsuag10
AG
Hays County BBQ in San Marcos today.
Brisket and Ribs were both amazing. Probably top 20 or better level good.

justnobody79
tsuag10 said:

Stopped at Putska Family BBQ in Temple yesterday. I might have caught them on an off day but I'm not sure.

The sides were ok, but nothing special. The sausage was pretty good. The brisket and ribs were very well seasoned and smoked, but both were tough and dry. Almost like they were cooked too fast and not rested long enough. I'm not sure if their sauce is house-made, but it was awesome.

I'm originally from the Temple area, so I'd love to see these guys succeed. I'll definitely check back with them again the next time I'm through.

https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/5a/7a/5a7ac004505804ae061d5264044334846c7261ff_2863327_u160204.jpg
https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/83/d4/83d4ead2292ebade819d152c3d395db15e23cd0e_3590305_u160204.jpg
I guess I'm lucky, I'm 4/4 on good meals there. The part I like especially is the portion size relative to the price for this area. Miller's in Belton the same plate above would run you $30 per, whereas Putska I'm out the door for $20 or so for the same thing
tsuag10
AG
I'll definitely try them again. Like I said previously, I would love them to be successful in Temple. And you're correct about the price. Putska was much more reasonable than most places these days.
BurnetAggie99
Agape BBQ in Liberty Hill. Moist brisket, pepper jack sausages, Turkey, potatoes salad and cowboy beans. Very good place and will definitely be a contender to be on the next Top 50 list
Jock 07
AG
Yesterday's BBQ spread in CA
wadd96
AG
We had Rosslers Blue Cord cater my Dad's services yesterday. No pic but really freaking good. Of course I already knew that which is why I didn't ask anyone else to do it.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
jja79
AG
Where is this?
Jock 07
AG
https://www.prieditebbq.com Los Alamos CA. Nick does amazing stuff and he's a damn good dude too. Him and heritage bbq down in San Juan Capistrano are the best, by far that I've had in CA. Nice to have a quality BBQ place within ~20 minutes of my house.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.