***OFFICIAL Astros-Rangers Trash Talk Thread 2023***

257,638 Views | 3341 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by petebaker
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maddux has also gotten the best out of Mad Max before at Washington and Montgomery at St Louis. I expect Montgomery to be a solid 2/3 for us but am excited to see if Maddux can help Scherzer turn it up a notch.
birdman
A bunch of noise and statistics about Scherzer.

It's pretty simple to me. He's a lot better than what they had.
Legal Custodian
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Old man Max isn't 2017 Verlander. The Rangers don't have the secret sauce to unlock a new level of Max like the Astros did with JV. I would not be shocked if Macgomery is more valuable than Max, the rest of the season.

In fairness we don't know what secret sauce the Rangers have. Maddux has gotten a top-5 in the AL performance so far out of what I had considered to be a pretty mediocre starting rotation even with DeGrom out.

Eff the Rangers but you also have to give credit where credit is due.

Top 5, you say?

5th in ERA
5th in WHIP
8th in FIP
10th in xFIP
12th in SIERA
12th in K-BB%
8th in fWAR
13th in Pitching+
Wins in Games Started - 1st
Losses - Games Started - Tied for 1st with Rays
Position to win at time of exit but blown by Bullpen - 1st (as in most)
Complete Games - 1st
Quality Starts - 5th

I don't think saying that the Rangers are a top5 starting rotation group in the AL is a bad claim.
Farmer1906
AG
That is a fair take.
Farmer1906
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Old man Max isn't 2017 Verlander. The Rangers don't have the secret sauce to unlock a new level of Max like the Astros did with JV. I would not be shocked if Macgomery is more valuable than Max, the rest of the season.

In fairness we don't know what secret sauce the Rangers have. Maddux has gotten a top-5 in the AL performance so far out of what I had considered to be a pretty mediocre starting rotation even with DeGrom out.

Eff the Rangers but you also have to give credit where credit is due.

Top 5, you say?

5th in ERA
5th in WHIP
8th in FIP
10th in xFIP
12th in SIERA
12th in K-BB%
8th in fWAR
13th in Pitching+
Wins in Games Started - 1st
Losses - Games Started - Tied for 1st with Rays
Position to win at time of exit but blown by Bullpen - 1st (as in most)
Complete Games - 1st
Quality Starts - 5th

I don't think saying that the Rangers are a top5 starting rotation group in the AL is a bad claim.
What year is this? I under what matters for a team is wins and losses, but you can't prop up your SP by having a great offense.
Legal Custodian
AG
I'm not expecting domination from the new guys just hopefully consistent QS, but what I'm most excited about is it bolsters our bullpen by allowing us to move two of Heaney, Dunning, or Perez to the bullpen to strengthen that. Our bullpen has been atrocious as evidenced by the stat above. And with moving a couple guys to the pen and adding Chapman and Stratton to it should help.

Biggest issue right now is getting Seager and Heim back cause our offense has looked pretty bad the past month or so.
Harry Dunne
Is that their starting pitching only?

Maybe I was being overly generous but fact remains they have done a great job without an ace & with the majority of the rotation being historically unaccomplished back end of the rotation guys.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Is that their starting pitching only?

Maybe I was being overly generous but fast remains they have done a great job without an ace & with the majority of the rotation being historically unaccomplished back end of the rotation guys.
Yes, SP only. They have been pretty stinky over the last month+. Early on you would have been 100% correct.But they had DeGrom and a fresh Eovaldi then.

This is the trend that caused them to make the deadline moves.

Month - K% - BB% - FIP - xFIP
Mar/Apr - 24.2% - 6.7% - 3.50 - 3.88
May - 20.4% - 6.9% - 4.03 - 4.22
June - 20.6% - 8.6% - 4.68 - 4.56
July - 15.9% - 10.5% - 5.36 - 5.35
Farmer1906
AG
July 1
Rangers 50-33 - -
Astros 45-38 5.0

July 31
Rangers 60-46 - -
Astros 60-47 0.5

Grapesoda2525
Farmer1906 said:

July 1
Rangers 50-33 - -
Astros 45-38 5.0

July 31
Rangers 60-46 - -
Astros 60-47 0.5

We just got finished playing the Rays, Dodgers, Astros, and Padres (facing their 3 aces), all while missing our best hitter and best pitcher, not to mention multiple games from Heim and Garcia. Better days lie ahead for sure.

Seager will be back sooner rather than later. Eovaldi should be back by mid august at the latest. We just got 2 improvements to our rotation who have yet to pitch. And our next 6 opponents are the White Sox, Marlins, A's, Giants, Angels, and Brewers. 2 bottom feeders and 4 middling teams. Not a WS contender among them. These next 3 weeks should be good for the rangers.

agdaddy04
AG
Haha. Soto just got thrown out by 20' and trying to claim it was blocking the plate. Now SD challenging.
Farmer1906
AG
You hate to see the Eovaldi timeline keep getting pushed back. The is usually a bad sign.
Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie
AG
Lol hang the banner
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That banner might not have enough room for "Lead the division in early August and made the Astros sweat it out and their fans thought they would have had the lead already"
Mr Gigem
AG
That's pretty weak

Doesn't matter how you got there IMO. Rangers need to kick it gear or will get left in the dust. Need to a make a move for two more bullpen pieces and probably one more bat
Ciboag96
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

That banner might not have enough room for "Lead the division in early August and made the Astros sweat it out and their fans thought they would have had the lead already"
Farmer1906
AG
Arrrrrrrrrrliiiiinnnnngggggton

Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Arrrrrrrrrrliiiiinnnnngggggton

They're too busy cuddling crotches and thinking the Mets aren't sending a truck full of cash along with JV.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Legal Custodian
AG
Man, nothing better than to see the obsession Astros fans have with us. Overpay to get a good 40yr old pitcher and the first thing they do is come here to seek approval.

But I get it, you had to push the chips on the table. With an aging team and the 30th ranked farm system, you had to do it. Major props shooting your shot.
Project Gemini
AG
Project Gemini
AG
If we are aging this year, we won a WS with an aging team. It's pretty much the exact same team except 1st base and some scrubs from our barren farm system. Argument does not check out. Try again. Wipe down those empty shelves and rafters.
Project Gemini
AG
The team you have a MASSIVE BONER over is .5 games up against an "aging team with the 30th ranked farm system." Does that say more about the Rangers or the Astros? You guys should just stop, it's absolutely laughable that you are over here chest puffing about how awesome you are and we suck and the teams are basically tied in the standings.
Farmer1906
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Man, nothing better than to see the obsession Astros fans have with us. Overpay to get a good 40yr old pitcher and the first thing they do is come here to seek approval.

But I get it, you had to push the chips on the table. With an aging team and the 30th ranked farm system, you had to do it. Major props shooting your shot.
Ignorance at its best

Average Age per Batter
HOU: 28.6
ARL: 28.3

Average Age per Pitcher
HOU: 28.7
ARL: 30.1

Astros Top 5 Players by WAR
Tucker - 26
McCormick - 28
Alvarez - 26
Bregman - 29
Meyers - 27

Rangers Top 5 Players by WAR
Semien - 32
Seager - 29
Heim - 28
Garcia - 30
Lowe - 28

Astros Top 5 Pitchers by WAR
Valdez - 29
Brown - 24
Javier - 26
France - 28
Abreu - 26

Rangers Top 5 Pitchers by WAR
Eovaldi - 33
deGrom - 35
Gray - 31
Dunning - 28
Smith - 34
Legal Custodian
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Legal Custodian said:

Ignorance at its best

Average Age per Batter

Average Age per Pitcher

Tucker - 26
McCormick - 28
Alvarez - 26
Bregman - 29
Meyers - 27

Semien - 32
Seager - 29
Heim - 28
Garcia - 30
Lowe - 28

Valdez - 29
Brown - 24
Javier - 26
France - 28
Abreu - 26

Eovaldi - 33
deGrom - 35
Gray - 31
Dunning - 28
Smith - 34
FIFY. You missed the conjunction I threw in there about your farm system. Reading comprehension is hard, I get it.
Marvin
AG
Legal Custodian said:

And the first thing you did was come over here and read it… but I get it. Your team may be the first with six all-stars not even make the playoffs.

Nothing strokes self-esteem like trashing someone else. Do your thing, Fragile Freddy.
Marvin
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Farmer1906 said:

Legal Custodian said:

Ignorance at its best

Average Age per Batter

Average Age per Pitcher

Tucker - 26
McCormick - 28
Alvarez - 26
Bregman - 29
Meyers - 27

Semien - 32
Seager - 29
Heim - 28
Garcia - 30
Lowe - 28

Valdez - 29
Brown - 24
Javier - 26
France - 28
Abreu - 26

Eovaldi - 33
deGrom - 35
Gray - 31
Dunning - 28
Smith - 34
FIFY. You missed the conjunction I threw in there about your farm system. Reading comprehension is hard, I get it.

So you admit to being at least half wrong?
LarryElder
no one obsesses over anything to do with DFW sports teams they have largely been irrelevant for the majority of their history no one cares about them outside of DFW.
Legal Custodian
AG
Marvin said:

Legal Custodian said:

Farmer1906 said:

Legal Custodian said:

Ignorance at its best

Average Age per Batter

Average Age per Pitcher

Tucker - 26
McCormick - 28
Alvarez - 26
Bregman - 29
Meyers - 27

Semien - 32
Seager - 29
Heim - 28
Garcia - 30
Lowe - 28

Valdez - 29
Brown - 24
Javier - 26
France - 28
Abreu - 26

Eovaldi - 33
deGrom - 35
Gray - 31
Dunning - 28
Smith - 34

So you admit to being at least half wrong?
Nope, just agreeing that both Texas and Houston have aging rosters.
Legal Custodian
AG
LarryElder said:

no one obsesses over anything to do with DFW sports teams they have largely been irrelevant for the majority of their history no one cares about them outside of DFW.
Yup, and these posts make that obvious.
LarryElder
Legal Custodian said:

LarryElder said:

Yup, and these posts make that obvious.
next you are going to tell me you met some jackass Houston fans at A&M and you never knew or cared about Houston sports until you met said jackass at A&M, rinse, wash, repeat same tired ole smack.
tjack16
AG

I think the Astros did okay here.
LarryElder
tjack16 said:

I think the Astros did okay here.
lol not to the baseball mensas that are gayanger fans.

why does the ranger fan base remind me of tech fans never really relevant but think they are only in their minds?>
RogerFurlong
Such a classy post by a classy fan base
LincolnBorglum79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.