Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

393,954 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
culdeus said:

Rubble said:

riverrataggie said:

Bars are open Clay. They paid 800 bucks to the TABC so they could sell some popcorn and you get a beer. He's not very smart.

Are there any "bars" that are actually closed and didn't take advantage of this loophole?

Every bar I know of in the area is open as usual under the loophole. This entire open/close thing for bars is settled and anything else is just political posturing (on both sides) or the owners simply not seeing it as worth it to open to a reduced client base.

I was discussing with wife how we used to go out to restaurants a lot. We've basically quit, saving a ton of money in the process and have cut back hugely on even doing takeout. I imagine we are absolutely not alone here.

I tried to use software to estimate this but we've cut back on more than 250 a month in dining out, and that doesn't cover babysitter costs and ubers. Between that and eliminating TAMU football forever from life, going to be able to afford a new car or wife when this is done.

Right there with you. Cut WAY back on restaurant spending, and wife and I have both lost a good amount of weight cooking and eating at home too. We do takeout occasionally, but even when we do all we taste is SALT. Once your tastebuds adjust to not being bombarded with sodium all the time, it's hard to go back to restaurant food. My blood pressure is probably the best it's been in a decade. All in all, I'm in no hurry to get back to eating out regularly.
YouBet
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

culdeus said:

Rubble said:

riverrataggie said:

Bars are open Clay. They paid 800 bucks to the TABC so they could sell some popcorn and you get a beer. He's not very smart.

Are there any "bars" that are actually closed and didn't take advantage of this loophole?

Every bar I know of in the area is open as usual under the loophole. This entire open/close thing for bars is settled and anything else is just political posturing (on both sides) or the owners simply not seeing it as worth it to open to a reduced client base.

I was discussing with wife how we used to go out to restaurants a lot. We've basically quit, saving a ton of money in the process and have cut back hugely on even doing takeout. I imagine we are absolutely not alone here.

I tried to use software to estimate this but we've cut back on more than 250 a month in dining out, and that doesn't cover babysitter costs and ubers. Between that and eliminating TAMU football forever from life, going to be able to afford a new car or wife when this is done.

Right there with you. Cut WAY back on restaurant spending, and wife and I have both lost a good amount of weight cooking and eating at home too. We do takeout occasionally, but even when we do all we taste is SALT. Once your tastebuds adjust to not being bombarded with sodium all the time, it's hard to go back to restaurant food. My blood pressure is probably the best it's been in a decade. All in all, I'm in no hurry to get back to eating out regularly.
I actually started a thread on this way back in month 1 of this because I was interested in tracking spending habits as influenced by COVID. Right there with both of you.

Our initial drop off in restaurant spending was 75% down. I'm a Quicken user so I can track everything to the penny very accurately. I won't share the absolute number because it's disgusting. I'm going to rerun the latest numbers when I get back home, but I'm pretty sure they are still roughly the same. We've eaten at a restaurant in Dallas one time since this all started. I've gone out by myself a few times or met friends but wife and I together; once.

She happened to quit drinking too. She's lost 21 pounds because of this. Won't ever go back. She's completely shifted her brain at this point.

Original thread:

https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/3104661/replies/56314103
AggieBarstool
I, for one, support Clay Jenkins, despite the naysayers screaming "Muh freedomz!"

I'm not one for over-reach by our government/leaders, but this was the right choice for Dallas county. Any decision that allows non-essential public gatherings, flaunting safety in exchange for personal liberty, should be looked at critically and the decision maker(s) called in to question.

YouBet
AG
AggieBarstool said:

I, for one, support Clay Jenkins, despite the naysayers screaming "Muh freedomz!"

I'm not one for over-reach by our government/leaders, but this was the right choice for Dallas county. Any decision that allows non-essential public gatherings, flaunting safety in exchange for personal liberty, should be looked at critically and the decision maker(s) called in to question.

If you are elderly, stay home until the drugs get here.

If you are not elderly, let us live our life and not sacrifice our livelihoods and the country's economic health.

The data supports this strategy unequivocally.
bco2003
AG
culdeus said:

Our family of 6 has spent significantly more on groceries, but with the reduction of eating out, have saved about $1600 for food.

Have saved about $1400 on automotive expenses.
riverrataggie
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Nobody is screaming "Muh Freedomz" to Judge Leroy. We are screaming "you're a dumbass" to him.
Phat32
AG
We have saved a bunch, but I would much rather have my life back. I am getting enjoyment out of those expenses, and others are living off of my payments.
DFWTLR
AG
Nothing is really closed anymore, it seems to be pretty close to normal, but everyone is in a mask and nothing is crowded.
Robert C. Christian
AG
bco2003 said:

culdeus said:

Our family of 6 has spent significantly more on groceries, but with the reduction of eating out, have saved about $1600 for food.

Have saved about $1400 on automotive expenses.

We cooked at home quite a bit before the lockdown so that didnt change too much. Between gas and tools we are saving about $150 per week since March. Close to $4k in total!
BoomGoesThe
AggieBarstool said:

I agree. All of those people that have lost their jobs, businesses, had their incomes slashed, and not been able to send their kids to school for half a year are complete and utter whiners. They should be thankful that Clay is looking out for them and knows best how they should live their lives.
riverrataggie
AG
rsf0626
DFWTLR said:

Nothing is really closed anymore, it seems to be pretty close to normal, but everyone is in a mask and nothing is crowded.

This is true. It feels that everything is pretty much open again. I cant actually think of any bars that are still closed (that havent gone out of business)
Cramp00
We've likely spent more on food w uber eats and such
Bob Knights Paper Hands
My entertainment expenses have gone down substantially. Wearing a mask and social distancing somehow takes the enjoyment out of hookers and blow. I can't wait until this virus is cured so it's safe for me to return to my old vices.
riverrataggie
AG
Food and entertainment is way down for us. But damnit, alcohol is up at least a 1000%
Post removed:
by user
murphyag
AG
We have always been pretty good about working out and eating healthy at our house. But, even for us, we've saved a ton of money by cutting down on eating out. And to be honest, we don't miss it. Even my kids don't seem to miss it. Which surprises me. I've been doing a lot more grilling, so that probably helps.
MGS
Collin and Denton county have decided to open bars.

"Our Collin County hospitals and healthcare professionals continue to serve our community with excellence," said Judge Hill. "At no time this year has our hospital capacity been overwhelmed or threatened by COVID-19. Quite simply, Collin County should be completely open. I will listen to everyone, but will follow the science."
riverrataggie
AG
MGS said:

Collin and Denton county have decided to open bars.

"Our Collin County hospitals and healthcare professionals continue to serve our community with excellence," said Judge Hill. "At no time this year has our hospital capacity been overwhelmed or threatened by COVID-19. Quite simply, Collin County should be completely open. I will listen to everyone, but will follow the science."

These people are murderers. Literally Hitlers.
corleoneAg99
AG
TexasAggie008
AG
Fingers crossed that we see him serving prison time on corruption charges like Dwayne Carraway someday
Post removed:
by user
Fitch
AG
I grew up in Plano and honestly have no idea what bars there are to refer to.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
SoupNazi2001 said:

corleoneAg99 said:

Chris Hill would beat the absolute **** out of Clay Jenkins in a street brawl.

But wait both claim to follow the science so which one does.

Not so subtle dig at Emperor Clay.
culdeus
AG
Sounds like my very closest co-worker will be lucky to make it out of this. He went to mexico two weeks prior and came back with what he thought was turista, turned out to be covid and he's been in at least the hospital, if not the ICU since Wednesday. They are struggling to get his O2 up and sounds like he'll be vented. He's about 50, so based on my math he's at best a coin flip to walk out of the hospital. Wife is very sick too, been at home and close to being admitted.
YouBet
AG
culdeus said:

Sounds like my very closest co-worker will be lucky to make it out of this. He went to mexico two weeks prior and came back with what he thought was turista, turned out to be covid and he's been in at least the hospital, if not the ICU since Wednesday. They are struggling to get his O2 up and sounds like he'll be vented. He's about 50, so based on my math he's at best a coin flip to walk out of the hospital. Wife is very sick too, been at home and close to being admitted.

Sorry to hear that. Prayers to your friend.
riverrataggie
AG
YouBet said:

culdeus said:

Sorry to hear that. Prayers to your friend.

Agreed. Hopefully he pulls through.
Phat32
AG
Hang in there! Hate to hear these.
Ag CPA
AG
Tarrant joins Denton and Collin in allowing bars to open:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/tarrant-county/tarrant-county-decision-bars-reopening/287-6fc3026c-c085-428f-a184-f6ab9e7b6852
Post removed:
by user
Hood
AG
Well if he can triple or quadruple the testing volume he could get a nice "spike".
Post removed:
by user
ExpressAg11
AG
We keep hearing about a new "spike" in cases. Have hospitals also started to see a spike in admissions for COVID or is that continuing to go down?
JDL 96
Dude is a moron.
duck79
AG
Let's see, open the bars in Denton, Collin and Tarrant.

Dallas: Move the risk to red which means stay home and stay safe.

Read the room Clay.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.