Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

394,468 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
AggieFactor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
102 & 3
AggieFactor
AG
And yet Daddy Clay still has us at risk level Red.
Birdbear
AG
What's the use of that risk level chart if it's always on "stay home or else!!!!!" mode?
Hood
AG
AggieFactor said:

Cases > 0 for 14 days. Sorry.
Ol Jock 99
AG
DISD virtual only until "at least all of Sept".
Keegan99
AG
Highland Park ISD is pressing forward with in-person after Labor Day.
powerbelly
AG
Keegan99 said:

Highland Park ISD is pressing forward with in-person after Labor Day.
Good. Our preschool follows HPISD's lead.
BoomGoesThe
Ol Jock 99 said:

DISD virtual only until "at least all of Sept".

What a joke. I had a feeling this would happen and put my DISD kid in private school. This is dang near criminal what they are doing to the large percentage of kids in this district that get very little support at home.
Phat32
AG
Want to talk about things that affect lower socioeconomic scenes the most? Keep their kids out of school.
riverrataggie
AG
AggieFactor said:

Wouldn't shock me if he made a deal with Taco Cabana to give out free burrito coupons if you go to one of his test sites to get tested.
Trucker 96
It's a travesty what DISD is doing to their kids. So many have done nothing since February and won't be back
BoomGoesThe
Sure, let's talk about it. I believe in respectful discourse. What points would you like to make?

Edit: I'm not sure if you're for postponing the in person learning start date or not. I may have misunderstood your post.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
BoomGoesThe said:

Sure, let's talk about it. I believe in respectful discourse. What points would you like to make?

Edit: I'm not sure if you're for postponing the in person learning start date or not. I may have misunderstood your post.

Yeah I think he's agreeing with you that this is a joke and pointing out that doing this hurt people in lower socioeconomic classes the most.
Comeby!
AG
Does DISD not have e-learning KD any kind of education program since this all started?
BoomGoesThe
Thanks, I thought I was wrong after rereading it.
BoomGoesThe
I know you didn't ask me, but DISD's virtual learning was practically non-existent in the spring. The weekly assignments for my second grader were an absolute joke. Math for the week was two problems, science was "go outside and look at a tree, write down what you see." Social studies was to watch a two minute video on flags and answer a question.

Our school put together voluntary assignments that were a little more challenging, but still only took about 15-20 minutes a day to complete.

Trucker 96
Comeby! said:

Does DISD not have e-learning KD any kind of education program since this all started?

There are a ton of households without access or can't be home to supervise their kids. 1/3 of Dallas families do not have home internet. And while Dallas didn't publish numbers, Richardson ISD had 700 kids that did not log on a single time from March to May. 700. Not a single login. DISD has 4x the students (160k vs 40k) and far more poverty. So you can just imagine how many DISD kids have been doing nothing. Has to be thousands and thousands
nai06
AG
FWIW, my experience has been very different this year. Last spring I might have 4 students present for a live session. 3 days in and I am sitting at over 50% for live sessions (which aren't mandatory). Maybe 10% of my students haven't logged in every day and of those about 2% haven't logged in at all. Its a much different atmosphere compared to last spring. I have the ability to hold kids accountable for grades and attendance and they know it. Its certainly not as good as in person education but I would ask people to give it a chance before bashing virtual learning this semester. Teachers are working really hard to deliver as good as an educational experience as possible and some of this stuff is out of our hands.
Comeby!
AG
Anyone can answer, no worries.

I'm not surprised the system isn't great but I thought it was nonexistent. I hope it's better now the they've had a summer to think about it.
Comeby!
AG
Are they not offering computers or other ways to get connected online? I know of a few districts doing that, you just have to ask. As far as childcare, I know that's a problem, but that's happening everywhere. I feel for those parents that aren't set up to have an adult helping watch the kids. That's the reason we moved to the burbs and my Aggie wife is a SAHM.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Providing tech (which they are) isn't ensuring that the kids are using it appropriately (which is impossible).

And naturally the folks impacted the most are the ones who can afford it the least.
riverrataggie
AG
Comeby! said:

Anyone can answer, no worries.

I'm not surprised the system isn't great but I thought it was nonexistent. I hope it's better now the they've had a summer to think about it.

Lol. Summer to think about it. That's why they didn't start on time and delayed till after Labor Day. They didn't think at all during the summer!
powerbelly
AG
Comeby! said:

Are they not offering computers or other ways to get connected online? I know of a few districts doing that, you just have to ask. As far as childcare, I know that's a problem, but that's happening everywhere. I feel for those parents that aren't set up to have an adult helping watch the kids. That's the reason we moved to the burbs and my Aggie wife is a SAHM.

The same kids who struggle academically due to their home situation aren't going to suddenly do better with a laptop and internet. It really doesn't matter what the district provides.

That also doesn't address the issue of kids who only get regular meals from school.
Trucker 96
DISD has no broadband internet connection solution. They were loaning out equipment for mobile hotspots, but it was only a fraction of the need and even that obviously relies upon a mobile connection being available. And the speed and reliability blows.

And more importantly, as mentioned above, so many of these families just arent engaged at all
DFWTLR
AG
And what's worse is disd and city of Dallas are just now addressing this issue, theres an rfp out and it basicslly says they are looking for fiber or wireless solutions to 10 underserved zip codes...but would like it for free and that is called out in one of the sections. Lol
riverrataggie
AG
This is what a good ole summer of planning gets you here in Dallas.
MGS
Breaking news - the worst run school district in the state makes another bad decision.
752bro4
AG
Oh Clay.

powerbelly
AG
752bro4 said:

Oh Clay.

Gotta juice the stats somehow.

752bro4
AG
Sounds like the demand for testing doesn't quite reach the supply. Just about every day this month there's been a tweet about zero wait times at these facilities.
agcrock2005
AG
752bro4 said:

Oh Clay.

And somehow they still will only talk about "positive cases" and not the fatality rate which has plummeted...ridiculous.
powerbelly
AG
752bro4 said:

Sounds like the demand for testing doesn't quite reach the supply. Just about every day this month there's been a tweet about zero wait times at these facilities.
People aren't feeling sick. Healthy people aren't in a rush to get tested.

It is Clay's worst nightmare.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Why are we still doing this?
powerbelly
AG
TxAgLaw03RW said:

Why are we still doing this?
Clay wants to run for governor. How many people in Dallas knew of Clay before covid? He needs to keep his name in the headlines.
Keegan99
AG
When you have to beg people to find out if they're sick, it's not much of an epidemic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.