Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

395,265 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never said they shouldn't test them, but when those numbers are now showing up in hospitalizations it misrepresents the growth curve.
Trucker 96
This is back to Ol Jock's point tho. This isn't that new. Medical facilities have been doing this for quite a while now. So while the increases may not be comparable to March/April, it is relevant to the past month+
Fitch
AG

Hospitalizations by TSA Region

Dallas-Fort Worth Area

Major Regions

Statewide

Testing Trends

Additional charts here: https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3099817/replies/56887460
Phat32
AG
March: Only test the severely sick/dying. Low cases, high deaths. Lockdown.

July: Test every Tom Dick Harry. High cases, low deaths. ???
Post removed:
by user
harge57
AG
So only looking at fatalities... the only data point that is really hard to manipulate. We are steady for the last 3 months.
Fitch
AG
I guess it depends on what your definition of steady means. We were 40% down from the highs or are now 50% up from the trough...nothing "exponential" though.
AggieFactor
AG
Here is DCHHS's back dated graph. This lines up more with the 7-10 day death delay vs the numbers Daddy Clay's Twitter report. I am sure the rest of Texas is dealing with the same problem but the testing backlog at some of these labs has got to be ridiculous. Clay reported 328 cases on the 12th and 305 on the 16th. As you can see on the graph, when those test got back dated, you have almost 800 cases that have to come out on another report. Really interested to see what this back dated curve looks like in a couple weeks or so.
ChuckAggie05
AG
Has anyone yet figured out that the numbers of COVID might be higher due to the number of protestors?
Fitch
AG
Statewide Summaries

Metro Area Breakouts

Hospitalizations

Fatalities

Testing

Ol Jock 99
AG
There are some not happy trends there. Hospitalizations are very concerning.
agcrock2005
AG
I'm so terrified!!!
Hood
AG
I'm genuinely curious as to why the Houston Metro area, with fewer people than the Dallas Metro Area has so many more active cases and thus fuller hospitals.
agcrock2005
AG
It's quite interesting that with all the graphs they're putting out there, nobody seems to want to show the one that would be an obvious nosedive, which is the death rate. As the denominator (COVID positives) skyrockets, the numerator (deaths) is not, thus the death rate is plummeting. Interesting that nobody wants to talk about this.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Grownups are discussing it. You just weren't invited.
agcrock2005
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Grownups are discussing it. You just weren't invited.
Where's the graph?

EDIT: Found one with deaths, but would like to see one with fatality/death rate (deaths/total covid cases).

Fitch
AG

Bob Knights Paper Hands
Help me out here. In agcrock's chart above it shows the weekly deaths for the whole US being less than 7x the daily deaths in just Texas shown in Finch's chart?
Invincible Aggie
Quinn
AG
No, Fitch is posting the daily deaths in Texas, with a 7 and 14 average trend line. I'm not sure about agcrock. The lowest daily amount that I've seen is 7/4 with 262 deaths nationwide on that day. The average national deaths per day over the last 7 days is 700. To respond to Bob's question, Texas represents approximately 1/7th of the new cases, so it tracks that it accounts for 1/7th of the deaths.

Fitch
AG
My charts show the daily and weekly average. None of them show a cumulative, though the closest would be "active cases" which is a formula-calculated total published by the state and will retrace back to zero given enough time.

The US-level chart uses CDC data, which takes anywhere from a few days to several months to report fatalities. COVID deaths are being fast tracked for reporting, but still have a material delay factor which will lead to the data being revised and the shape of the chart changing as new data comes in.
Quinn
AG
Here is a bunch of data from the New York Times . They have national and state charts.
Phat32
AG
Any anecdotes from the peanut gallery? This thread has gone pretty quiet.

Several of friends and family have started to roll through the COVID positive ranks. None have had any issues whatsoever.
agcrock2005
AG
yukmonkey said:

Any anecdotes from the peanut gallery? This thread has gone pretty quiet.

Several of friends and family have started to roll through the COVID positive ranks. None have had any issues whatsoever.
Know of several positives now with no symptoms at all. Lots of people (with money and ability to test multiple times) are testing positive as well, and then testing negative (Nascars Jimmie Johnson, Texas Ranger Joey Gallo, etc.) so no telling WTF is going on in reality. What a mess.

PS: I'll see if I can find the updated chart that I posted last week. Surprisingly hard to find fatality rate chart.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Anecdotal observation: Doc Jock's patients are typically outpatients, but she occasionally has to go see someone in the main hospital (Big Presby). Last couple weeks, last week especially, she's noticed that the hospital looks really, really full. Definite change from earlier in the RONA.
Carlo4
AG
Know of three in last week. One is coworker with minor symptoms and never took off work (at home).

Other two are cousin and his wife. Both caught a more severe case (104 fever, no energy). Kids are negative. Day three without fever, but no energy.

He traveled to South Carolina for work and picked it up there.

Edit - all three are very healthy and believe in fitness.
agcrock2005
AG
Found a few interesting graphs. They don't have last weeks data plotted but the data is similar with cases going way up while deaths are not increasing in the same manner. Great news that should be celebrated but it's not.

TxAgLaw03RW
AG
The second chart is pretty eye opening. I am surprised more lawsuits are not flying around all over Texas to open things back up. The timing of the dramatic rise in cases should have been realized through an increase in deaths as well if this was as dire as it's made out to be.

I also wonder what would happen if we tested everyone for flu, because I have no clue what the asymptomatic rate would be for that, but I know plenty of people who do not get a flu shot and never seem to show symptoms of flu.

ETA this article says 1 in 3 influenza carriers are asymptomatic. However, I wonder what that rate would be if we tested at the rate we're testing for COVID.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2646474/
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Fitch, thanks for the continued posting.

What data source(s) are you using? I like tracking cases and fatalities versus date. It would be interesting to see the data you are displaying for Texas in the context of other states and the US as a whole.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
It would be helpful to expand the scale on that deaths per million a bit in order to better demonstrate the character of that trend. From charts and data I've seen, the when we switched from reporting positive tested cases to suspected cases starting in June we do appear to be deviating from the fatalities trends.
Fitch
AG
I pretty much solely source from the Texas DSHS website, which publishes daily. Only other source I look at is the SETRAC and TMC data for county And local hospitals.
TexasAggie008
AG
Today's 20 reported deaths will of course grab most of the headlines, but a few pieces of good news in ol Clay's daily summary:

> "730 people in acute care" looks to be the lowest # since 640 were reported on July 4th....last week we ranged from 756 to 831.

> 3 of the last 4 days have had less cases than the same day last week.

Saturday-Tuesday July 11-14th reported cases vs last weeks' on the same day were:

Saturday - 2 less
Sunday - 112 more
Monday - 100 less
Today - 77 less

Seems fairly small.....but since late May/early June we haven't had more than a single sporadic day here and there reflect lower than the prior week's
Ol Jock 99
AG
Good news is always welcome.
agcrock2005
AG
They're going to have to do something about the numbers getting better...we've still got 4 months until the election.
riverrataggie
AG
agcrock2005 said:

They're going to have to do something about the numbers getting better...we've still got 4 months until the election.

Yeah this is rookie ***** NYC was getting in the 5 digits alone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.