Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

406,784 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TexasAggie008
TexasAggie008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yukmonkey said:

City of Dallas just jumped the shark. Who's ready for a good civil disobedience?

Hell yes
Hood
AG
riverrataggie
AG
Hood said:

Do we have a breakdown of the hospitals? Going from 8 to 25 hospitals reporting at the beginning, and if hospitals are equal from the counts, since COVID-19 has happened our hospitals are actually seeing less of a surge. Correct?
BoomGoesThe
Are these stats, beds, ventilators, etc. Covid specific? If not, they mean nothing without context, right?
powerbelly
AG
BoomGoesThe said:

Are these stats, beds, ventilators, etc. Covid specific? If not, they mean nothing without context, right?

It means nothing without context and history.
Phat32
AG
It's like reporting total car accidents to talk about how serious drunk driving is. Drunk driving may be serious, but without carving out those numbers it is impossible to tell.
Trucker 96
Anecdotally based on my parents last year where my cancer patient mother was hospitalized in Feb 2019 with the flu and my father a month later with a stroke, the Collin County hospital they were in was full (Medical City Plano - longstanding, robust operation). So I'm just gonna say we are WAY down on utilization vs the norm even tho they arent providing any comparisons. No one builds hospitals to be 50% occupied
DFWTLR
AG
BoomGoesThe said:

They are not Covid specific, all of Dallas County has had 2,400 cases in the last 45 days, the stats say there are 2,900 beds occupied just in the city of Dallas hospitals.

The numbers show Dallas is no where near capacity, and there has not been a surge in hospitalizations.
Hood
AG
The stats only stand to show capacity vs any surge. So while they don't show only COVID cases, they show how flat the occupancy has been over the past two weeks. They show it's ok to slowly reopen because our county has handled the worst of the predicted peak just fine.

And it shows that the panic inducing model was absolute BS.
Bones08
AG
I've been trying to do my part in all of this - wearing a mask the past couple of week, minimizing trips to the store, and doing my runs around my neighborhood instead of on the Katy Trail or White Rock.

So I feel like them saying "these days are normal, these days for A-L, these days for M-Z" almost reads as them encouraging people to use the trail - just make sure to do it on your day! A very weird approach for sure.

BoomGoesThe
Thanks. That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something from a previous release or tweet.
Ol Jock 99
AG
powerbelly said:

BoomGoesThe said:

It means nothing without context and history.

They've been tracking about 2 weeks and ICU utilization has held steady at ~60%. Which means we aren't getting a surge of super sickies.
agcrock2005
AG

Hundreds of thousands in LA County already had COVID-19 and didn't know - LA Times

Shocked face...let us go to work and herd immunity will take care of the rest.

DFWTLR
AG
Dr. Philip Huang is suggesting Dallas stay sheltered in place until at least May 31sr, and said New York waited a week too long and that we could become the next New York. He is advising Clay and has apparently lost his mind.
FTAco07
AG
I don't blame doctors and public health officials for being extra cautious and recommending longer stay at home timelines. That is their job and their voice should be heard as part of a broader team. What needs to happen, and doesn't seem to be in Dallas, is to have a different voice from the business/economics etc. field that gives their point of view that will likely be very different from the doctors. Ultimately with that balanced information the elected officials in charge should make a decision based upon pros and cons.

We are missing that leadership in Dallas since Lord Clay seems to be hiding behind doctors and setting himself up to say "I just did what doctors recommended" rather than considering all pieces of the puzzle.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Good grief. Have a link?
Bones08
AG
Where are you seeing/hearing this?
agcrock2005
AG
DFWTLR said:

Dr. Philip Huang is suggesting Dallas stay sheltered in place until at least May 31sr, and said New York waited a week too long and that we could become the next New York. He is advising Clay and has apparently lost his mind.
That's ridiculous. Does everyone think that this virus is just going to go away with the heat? I thought they were saying it would be here for 18 months or so? If it's not just going to go away, why will waiting until May 31st help? Won't that just mean we will all get it then since we've all be huddled up in safety not building antibodies?

Two options: Vaccine or Herd Immunity

DFWTLR
AG
Fox4 Twitter, there's some sort of commissioner meeting going on and other doctors advising roughly the same thing. Also saying that if retail to go doesn't increase, then in 3-4 weeks we can open more, unreal.

TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Will we have anything left to come back to if we keep this up until June? Is anyone pushing back at the meeting to argue why we shouldn't do this?
Robert C. Christian
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Hundreds of thousands in LA County already had COVID-19 and didn't know - LA Times

From the article:
Quote:

The findings suggest the fatality rate may be much lower than previously thought. But although the virus may be more widespread, the infection rate still falls far short of herd immunity that, absent a vaccine, would be key to return to normal life.
agcrock2005
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

agcrock2005 said:

From the article:
Quote:

The findings suggest the fatality rate may be much lower than previously thought. But although the virus may be more widespread, the infection rate still falls far short of herd immunity that, absent a vaccine, would be key to return to normal life.

It's from the LA Times. What do you expect? The infection rate is made up of a denominator that's the number of tests completed...which we haven't done much of.
Ol Jock 99
AG
"Dallas County Judge Jenkins says in Texas we are testing 27 people per 100,000 people. Need to get to 138 tests per 100,000. Goal is it will show disease is often symptom-free and less deadly than thought." Fox4 twotter

So Clay wants 5x the amount of testing...this will be an interesting fight.
DFWTLR
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

"Dallas County Judge Jenkins says in Texas we are testing 27 people per 100,000 people. Need to get to 138 tests per 100,000. Goal is it will show disease is often symptom-free and less deadly than thought." Fox4 twotter

I agree we need more testing, but the AAC and Ellis Davis Field House haven't hit testing capacity in weeks, and now it is open to anyone over 65, OR pre-existing conditions, OR essential workers, OR showing three symptoms. The last time Clay shared the testing info each site was still below 50% testing capacity.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Do you mean people don't want a 6 inch Q-tip shoved up their nose unless they feel like they're dying? Shocking.
Phat32
AG
Can't tell if the curve is flattening? Have they ever seen a graph in their life?

I don't give a **** if the curve isn't perfect - at less than 200 new cases per day, it's time to reopen. What a bunch of *******.
Kashchei
AG
If there is a protest, I'll be there. This is all such BS
John Francis Donaghy
Kashchei said:

If there is a protest, I'll be there. This is all such BS

Better get moving.

Quote:

Dozens of people gathered in Dealey Plaza Tuesday morning outside the offices of the commissioners court hoping to bring an end to the economic shut down tied to the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/watch-dozens-gather-in-dealey-plaza-protesting-ongoing-covid-19-shut-down/2355268/
hatchback
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Do you mean people don't want a 6 inch Q-tip shoved up their nose unless they feel like they're dying? Shocking.
Thankfully, the tests have been revised to be less invasive. I think the tests are now self-administered at the drive-thru locations.
nai06
AG
hatchback said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Thankfully, the tests have been revised to be less invasive. I think the tests are now self-administered at the drive-thru locations.
I don't know how different the test is, but you're right about it being self administered. They have signs when you approach telling you about how to do it. then they had you the swab, you do the rest, and then hand it back to them
DFWTLR
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Or maybe there just aren't that many cases
Fitch
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

That jives with what Abbott alluded to last Friday. He didn't give numbers but said testing was going to "dramatically" increase in the later part of April or early May and to expect higher positive confirmations.

On any given day in the larger metros tests are coming up about 20% positive when you'd expect a decrease if the curve is truly flattening out and population of infections is starting to decline.
Post removed:
by user
Trucker 96
yukmonkey said:

Can't tell if the curve is flattening? Have they ever seen a graph in their life?

I don't give a **** if the curve isn't perfect - at less than 200 new cases per day, it's time to reopen. What a bunch of *******.
Right. if you don't like the testing data, then just look at the hospital, ICU, and vent utilization. Flatter than flat with tons of capacity.
Kashchei
AG
So we couldn't open until the curve flattened. Then we couldn't open after two weeks. Now we can't open until we get 5x more testing. How far are they going to keep moving the goalposts?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.