Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

394,455 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
TexasAggie008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
People will not accept the trails and parks being closed

Idiotic decision on city's part if they try to do it
Ol Jock 99
AG
What we need is some of those Indian Cops on mopeds with their long whacking sticks.
TAMUallen
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

They need to try to do it but enforcement will be very tough. Have you seen how many people are out and about on walks or bikes? Multiply that by 5 at parks.

I have never seen so many people outside in my entire life and have never seen as many at parks other than the parks with fireworks on the 4th
TexasAggie008
AG
I think some want this to end in a military police state
Objective Aggie
AG
yukmonkey said:

We got anyone who personally knows a case yet?
A guy who works at my company in another state that I have not seen in years has it.

Friend's BIL has it.

Everything else is more friend of a friend kind of thing.

Objective Aggie
AG
Also Southlake Costco
Had a line to get in but maybe 10-15 minutes

Had almost everything (but no hand sanitizer, Tylenol, or gloves obviously).

Toilet paper. Paper towels. Most every meat. Yes Yes Yes.

People kept their distance and polite as ever.
Proposition Joe
TAMUallen said:

TexasAggie008 said:

They need to try to do it but enforcement will be very tough. Have you seen how many people are out and about on walks or bikes? Multiply that by 5 at parks.

I have never seen so many people outside in my entire life and have never seen as many at parks other than the parks with fireworks on the 4th

Yeah, public trails are an absolute beating right now. Dogs off leashes, toddlers running in the middle of the bike trails, people on their cell phones standing in the middle of the trail oblivious to anyone around them.

We need the government to tell people they absolutely cannot watch Netflix for a week straight.
hatchback
AG
Drove by White Rock Lake this afternoon on my way to the office to check on our server and get a few things from my desk.

There's people everywhere. There are barricades at Northcliff and W Lake Highlands Dr - I'm assuming they've closed off parking at the Bath House. I saw 5 police cars coming up from the lake, turn on to Buckner from Northcliff.

I bet they close down all parks and trails this week. Which sucks because people are actually practicing social distancing at Lindsley Park in my neighborhood.
YouBet
AG
Our normally desolate neighborhood is really busy in the last two weeks, so I can't imagine WRL right now. It must seem like all the world is there.
txag2008
AG
Know 6 people who have it from back home. Tiny panhandle town.

All but 1 are elderly & it's been long days of sedation/intubation
ftworthag02
AG
[url] [/url]
Robert C. Christian
AG
Sundown? Wife has family in the area and for a tiny town they have a very large number of cases.
txag2008
AG
No. It's about 1.5hr north of there.

Everyone is a lot more reliant on each other in small towns. Ton of gatherings at school/church/etc. Makes things tough at a time like this.
AG
Basketball court and soccer fields at northwood park were packed this afternoon

They closed lawther to all motorized traffic today so Im betting the rest of the parks are next
bbattbq01
AG
The mother in law of one of my coworkers has it. That's as close as it's come to our bubble so far.
Ol Jock 99
AG
We know several, local and out of state. All seem to be doing well so far. All are youngish (mid 50s and down).
Comeby!
AG
What time did you show up?
Objective Aggie
AG
Comeby! said:

What time did you show up?
9:50. It was supposed to open at 10 but clearly it was open before.

When I left at maybe 10:45 they still had most everything and the line was smaller, probably 5 minutes.

Checkout line was normal, probably because hey were limiting people in the store.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

We probably all do... Great article in Financial Times Friday (can't find it in a hurry) about a theory that I happen to agree with. Experts in charge of this study think this "pandemic" started a while back and millions have had it already in the US with little or no symptoms and basically the entire country has been exposed already (unless you're a recluse) and we're developing "herd immunity" to the virus.
Phat32
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

We probably all do... Great article in Financial Times Friday (can't find it in a hurry) about a theory that I happen to agree with. Experts in charge of this study think this "pandemic" started a while back and millions have had it already in the US with little or no symptoms and basically the entire country has been exposed already (unless you're a recluse) and we're developing "herd immunity" to the virus.
Would hope that's true. If it is, you'd see a peak much earlier than expected.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Haven't read the article, but if that were true, I would suspect we would've seen a big spike in ICU usage. Which we haven't yet, but are starting to.

The 2 week max incubation period doesn't really reconcile well to the idea it's been with us for months.
Proposition Joe
They've more or less traced the virus back to the original guy in Seattle that had traveled to Wuhan. Most of the "it's been around for a while" are the people who think the bad cold or flu they had in December must have been this. It wasn't.
culdeus
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

This is very wishful thinking.
John Francis Donaghy
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

In order for this to be true, the virus would have had to make the rounds in only the least vulnerable people, resulting in no severe cases, or so few that no one was able to recognize any trends, for months on end. And all of a sudden now it's randomly causing severe manifestations across all age groups, and only now hitting the most vulnerable really hard in nursing homes and the like.

The odds of this happening are basically zero. It is a wish for people who want to belive the worst is behind them. It is not reality.
agcrock2005
AG
None of us knows how this is going to end. Probably somewhere between the Imperial model where half the earth dies (obviously exagerrating here) and the Oxford study. This isn't the article in the FT but it's one about the Oxford study that the FT article was based on.
Proposition Joe
agcrock2005 said:

None of us knows how this is going to end. Probably somewhere between the Imperial model where half the earth dies (obviously exagerrating here) and the Oxford study. This isn't the article in the FT but it's one about the Oxford study that the FT article was based on.

True none of us know for certain.

But the data simply doesn't support that this thing has been around long before January. Yes, it could be possible -- but it'd be ignoring Wuhan Patient Zero in Seattle, ignoring that we didn't have a spike in "flu"/pneumonia hospitalizations/death in late 2019, and ignoring the significant spike we've seen in the last month or so in different areas since Patient Zero -- all of which for the most part has been traced back to travel originally in some form or fashion.

It's akin to saying the Men's Basketball team might have won the NCAA Championship this year. Yeah, it's *possible*, but the sheer amount of data we do have does not support it.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

True none of us know for certain.
I'll agree with you on this. And our team wouldn't have won the bastetball tournament although I like how we fought hard with not much talent!
Ag CPA
AG
Dallas County's number is starting to get large.
Proposition Joe
and.... Fort Worth has removed the nets and rims.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
This is getting silly. So where will all of them go now and what will they do instead? My guess is it will be worse than playing basketball.
agcrock2005
AG
Tarrant too. See article below. Looks like just about every part of DFW has cases (cool map in the link). Given the data in the article below showing vast amounts of cases throughout DFW coupled with what appears to be huge amounts of people on the roads, in parks, and in Home Depot/Lowes/Grocery Stores (seems like Christmas time numbers), etc., why is it so far-fetched to think that this hasn't been around for a while and a huge amount of us have already been exposted? For example, my wife works in healthcare. Lady who works for her has 1.5 year old daughter that's in Cook's for last two days in quarantine. They believe she has it and will find out today apparently. If positive, it means that everyone at their office has exposed their families and patients/families and I've exposed everyone I've been in contact with over the last several days (if not 14 days correct?). Most likely that one case will result in 100's (if not thousands) of people already being exposed. We've only recently begun testing for it, so of course the test positives are going to shoot up. Not trying to start argument or debate because I don't know the answer. Sorry for the novel.

Tarrant County Confirms 16 new cases, adds 83 provisional confirmations

EDIT: Think biggest answer to my question would be the huge increase in demand on the ICU's/Ventilators?
ftworthag02
AG
My doctor is the doctor of the first Tarrant county covid patient, the Episcopalian priest, and he had to self quarantine for 14 days afterward. His daughter is due to have her baby very soon in Nashville and probably won't be able to be there. Not to mention I was in his office a week prior getting lab work done. We provide landscaping services for his building and I dropped by today and he went to see a patient in their car, masks, gloves, etc. This is not a game!
Proposition Joe
Again, even if you want to ignore the traced origin of the outbreaks, to assume people were exposed en masse before January would mean the hospitals would have had major upticks in the types of diagnoses/pneumonia they are seeing back then. So unless hundreds of people were dying a day in NYC due a "strange flu" back in January and we just didn't notice it, then the data simply doesn't support it.
DFWTLR
AG
The two sites in Dallas have been doing a combined 500 tests per day for over a week now, the numbers still aren't jumping up too much and the deaths per day have been low. I'm sure they will both go up soon, curious how long the backlog is on the testing, is it 5 days 10 days behind?

Also, here is (yet another) website with projections. Showing Texas will peak in May with around 100 deaths per day, also shows we won't have a shortage on beds or ICU beds at the current rate.

[url]https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections[/url]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.