Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

390,667 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasAggie008
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I work by the Whole Foods (Park Lane...75).

I dropped off an Amazon return.

Frozen foods pretty well picked over leaving the "weird" (weird even for WF) stuff.

They were actually putting out fresh meat (beef, chicken, shrimp, etc).

Definitely plenty of stuff on the shelves to survive.

Did not look at the paper goods or water sections.
drewser95
AG
DeLaHonta said:

Anyone visit a grocery store in Dallas today and able to provide a inventory status report?
Was able to find a pack of HEB toilet paper at Lovers/Greenville Central Market yesterday evening for my elderly aunt, so hopefully things are leveling out.
FTAco07
AG
Kroger at Cityplace had a completely normal stock of toilet paper at 8am today. Meat was highly picked over, but in the process of being restocked and I would say frozen food was 50-70% full. They had absolutely no sandwich meat on the shelf, but if you went to the deli they had plenty of Boar's Head pre-sliced. Lots of beer out and no obvious shortage of wine.

The crowd would have been typical for an after work time frame and wasn't crazy at all.
Phat32
AG
People overbought and now there will be a glut of supply that will spoil.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
yukmonkey said:

Yep - I suspect as people start to restock, they'll realize that there really isn't a shortage on most things and hopefully panic will subside. Obviously with dining out almost nil at this point and many more people home all day, there will be some increase on demand, but it reminded me of when we would go to Destin and the first day or two the stores were insane cause everyone was there at once...later in the week it was much more sane cause people restocked at different times...

riverrataggie
AG
Kid at JL Long has it.
Texas Ag Mom
Yep. My neice goes to school there.
culdeus
AG
DeLaHonta said:

Anyone visit a grocery store in Dallas today and able to provide a inventory status report?

Plano Central market was normal.
wbt5845
AG
yukmonkey said:

I really hope so and it teaches them a lesson.

I saw a lady last weekend with about a dozen gallons of milk in her cart and I thought about asking her "what do you plan on doing with all that when it spoils?"
culdeus
AG
wbt5845 said:

yukmonkey said:

I really hope so and it teaches them a lesson.

I saw a lady last weekend with about a dozen gallons of milk in her cart and I thought about asking her "what do you plan on doing with all that when it spoils?"

Milk seems less a concern. Millennials don't even drink the stuff. Dairy farms have been going under for lack of demand.

Eggs are more a concern.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

Eggs are more a concern.
Spring is here and our chickens are in full gear. Getting 5-7 eggs a day.
culdeus
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

Eggs are more a concern.
Spring is here and our chickens are in full gear. Getting 5-7 eggs a day.

Can't protect chickens here. Bobcats eat them all.
nai06
AG
If you need groceries, Braums has been very well stocked in my experience. Fresh meat is hit or miss depending on time of day. But they always have milk, eggs, dairy, produce (fresh and frozen), bread, spaghetti, chips, etc.

If you are just needing some basics, check them out as they are peppered throughout the DFW area and people usually forget they have a market in store.
AggieFrog
AG
nai06 said:

If you need groceries, Braums has been very well stocked in my experience. Fresh meat is hit or miss depending on time of day. But they always have milk, eggs, dairy, produce (fresh and frozen), bread, spaghetti, chips, etc.

If you are just needing some basics, check them out as they are peppered throughout the DFW area and people usually forget they have a market in store.

Great idea. And now I'm craving a burger & milkshake.
ftworthag02
AG
bacon cheeseburger, fries, and limeade w/ extra syrup. Maybe chocolate shake for dessert.

We live 4 blocks from braums and don't think we've ever bought fruits & veggies and meat (other than bacon). Just milk, 1/2 & 1/2, ice cream, bacon, eggs, and cinnamon raisin bread.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Can you even go inside braum's though? All restaurants are shut down other than takeout/drive thru. I know they have a market but they are also a restaurant.

I guess you could at least get market items through the drive thru?
dave94
AG
You can still go inside for the market:

This store is currently only serving grill and fountain items through the drive-through. The Fresh Market is still open to the public.
FincAg
AG
Does anyone know the figures and timing of the DFW infections?

A DFW curve so to speak.
nai06
AG
The first COVID 19 death has occurred in Arlington, TX

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/arlington-resident-dies-from-coronavirus-first-in-north-texas/2333046/

He was initially diagnosed with double pneumonia but wasn't given the test because he hadn't traveled abroad. His wife is now in isolation because she is also showing signs of the infection. The kicker is that he lived at the Texas Masonic Retirement Center. I grew up in Arlington and my parents still live there. If you've never driven by, it might me hard to put into perspective how serious this is. This place is massive. It probably houses several hundred people all 60+ in age. The Life Center in Kirkland is tiny compared to this place. The article says they have no idea how he contracted it and are going through to check to see if other residents have contracted the virus

EDIT: Meant to say first death in the DFW Area
Wheatables02
AG
nai06 said:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/arlington-resident-dies-from-coronavirus-first-in-north-texas/2333046/

He was initially diagnosed with double pneumonia but wasn't given the test because he hadn't traveled abroad. His wife is now in isolation because she is also showing signs of the infection. The kicker is that he lived at the Texas Masonic Retirement Center. I grew up in Arlington and my parents still live there. If you've never driven by, it might me hard to put into perspective how serious this is. This place is massive. It probably houses several hundred people all 60+ in age. The Life Center in Kirkland is tiny compared to this place. The article says they have no idea how he contracted it and are going through to check to see if other residents have contracted the virus
Not the first. Matagorda County was the first in Texas. Then Arlington. Now Plano.
nai06
AG
Wheatables02 said:

nai06 said:

Not the first. Matagorda County was the first in Texas. Then Arlington. Now Plano.
I sorry I meant to say first in the DFW area.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Kroger at NWH and Plano is still in bad shape.
Quinn
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Kroger at NWH and Plano is still in bad shape.
In bad shape as in out of stuff or bad shape as in there was a scooter pile up?
Buford Tannen
AG
"In bad shape" could apply to the status of that store for the last several years.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'm not as cold-hearted towards our crappy little Kroger as some. Being on a first name basis with the butchers and wine lady helps.

Produce was better (almost to its normal level of crappy), bread was gone, very limited meats and dairy, canned goods hit hard. But I found most of what I was looking for. Planning to hit the USFoods Chef store tomorrow.
Quinn
AG
Our Kroger is fine, just fun to make jokes about it and the clientele.
FincAg
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Produce was better (almost to its normal level of crappy)

So true
hatchback
AG
Ol Jock 99
TSUAggie
So many places that will never recover from this.
JR Ewingford
Yep. The economic disaster is real. Talked to my friend in the Ft Worth PD and he's not one to get all worked up but this going on too long will cause a real problem. If people become desperate they will not be able to protect everybody.
Comeby!
AG
The Kroger in west frisco is looking good, and nearly everything has been on sale. I was impressed with their pricing.
TAMUallen
AG
hatchback said:

That's way past Easter. Churches are going to be hurting not getting donations
culdeus
AG
I am sure they will be happy to take PayPal or whatever.
Ol Jock 99
AG
culdeus said:

I am sure they will be happy to take PayPal or whatever.

Most churches are dependent on Sunday morning donations. And most don't have the reserves to handle this. My sister is in charge of her church's little preschool in corpus and is about to have to lay off everyone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.