Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

633,534 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by HalifaxAg
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To be clear, 15,000 naira is less than $50. He's getting ***** and arguing over $50.
TexasAggie_02
AG
nai06 said:

To be clear, 15,000 naira is less than $50. He's getting ***** and arguing over $50.
well, the guy quoted him 1,000, to which he said "no thanks, i'll find someplace better." upon not finding another place, he went back to find out that the price had gone up considerably.
nai06
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

nai06 said:

well, the guy quoted him 1,000, to which he said "no thanks, i'll find someplace better." upon not finding another place, he went back to find out that the price had gone up considerably.

It's funny how supply and demand works
Kenneth_2003
AG
Seeing how the "Road chose him" perhaps he should just camp on the road for free rather than a hotel parking lot...
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Could it be that the Intrepid Explorer Dan might have a little communication issues with the languages and some of the confusion may be his typical disdain for the local merchants? Seems like he has *****ed about everything other than the flavor of olives since he set foot in the dark continent. No chance that the locals see a tricked out ride and try to take advantage of the hoser driving it, I can't blame them at all.

What a p-rick.
The Fife
TexasAggie_02 said:

danny boy actually got the tires wet

https://instagr.am/p/BVNBH3WhUG1
If you've driven out to the HEB camp in Leakey, you've driven through about this much water.
Bitter Old Man
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

nai06 said:

No, what happened is the guy saw Dan's website plastered on the side of the fancy jeep and went in looked at it after he left. Then he decided to charge Dan a Dooche-Tax...
swimmerbabe11
He fixed it or you missed it and agreed that money from pics of the place will go to the sanctuary.
TexasAggie_02
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

He fixed it or you missed it and agreed that money from pics of the place will go to the sanctuary.
that's good to hear. where did he say that?
swimmerbabe11
I may or may not have suggested that it was literally the least he could do on Twitter
TexasAggie_02
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I may or may not have suggested that it was literally the least he could do on Twitter
Bitter Old Man
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Doin work...
nai06
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Which in the end is great. But I think he could have done without the complaining especially given the cause. I'll give you an example of how I handled something similar.

I spent about a month traveling Morocco last summer. I was in Marrakech and stopped at a Mohammed V Handicraft center. Its basically a government sponsored tradecraft education center. The purpose is to teach high school drop outs a trade in handicrafts so that they can support themselves and not need government assistance or be stuck in complete poverty. As a side note I think something like this could be implimented in high schools here, but thats a whole other topic. Anyways the have a store with items made by the teens who are in an apprenticeship. The work is high quality but priced on the high side compared to the local medina. A piece of islamic art plaster carving caught my eye and inquired about the price. It wasnt available for sale but the agreed to commision a new piece and ship it to me. Aside from paying out the ass for shipping, the piece itself was also costly. I probably paid about a 25% premium just because of where I was buying. That being said, I didnt really mind because it would support in my opinion worthwhile cause. As a visitor to that country I gained great experience and had no problem giving a little bit more back to a kid that could really use it.

Dan could have done the same thing. In the end its $50 which is nothing to him compared to what that means to the reserve and people who run it.

BTW, here's what I bought in Morocco. Keep in mind that this was made by a 17 year old.

swimmerbabe11
That is gorgeous
nai06
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

That is gorgeous
I spent $600 and it was worth every penny. It hangs in my living room now with the rest of the art I got from Morocco. I also ate a crap load of delicious olives when I was there so at least Dan got that part right.
35chililights
AG
I still can't get over the pretentious name 'the road chose me'.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Someone needs to create a parody website from the road's perspective.... call it "the chode rode me"
txags92
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

Someone needs to create a parody website from the road's perspective.... call it "the chode rode me"

I suggested that from the jeeps perspective several pages back...
Guitarsoup
AG
txags92 said:

Bitter Old Man said:

I suggested that from the jeeps perspective several pages back...
I suggested it from the perspective of the girl he was pretending he wasn't traveling with.
Ag In Ok
AG
I will pay anyone $150,000 naira to spray paint honky lips on the side of his jeep
nai06
Agmechanic
AG
Is this *******:

1. Dead yet?

2. Acutally even in Africa?

a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
Burnsey
AG
Ag In Ok said:

I will pay anyone $150,000 naira to spray paint honky lips on the side of his jeep
Ark03
AG
Ag In Ok said:

Since you used the US dollar sign, the way that should be interpreted is that you will pay someone $150,000 american dollars worth of naira. So, what you really mean is you will pay 47,182,423 naira to whoever can paint the jeep, right?

Can you put it up with an escrow service so I know I'll get paid before I buy my plane ticket? (And does anyone know anything about the volatility of the conversion rate for the naira?)
CowtownAg06
AG
Ark03 said:

Ag In Ok said:

Since you used the US dollar sign, the way that should be interpreted is that you will pay someone $150,000 american dollars worth of naira. So, what you really mean is you will pay 47,182,423 naira to whoever can paint the jeep, right?

Can you put it up with an escrow service so I know I'll get paid before I buy my plane ticket? (And does anyone know anything about the volatility of the conversion rate for the naira?)
AG in Ok is a Nigerian prince, so he should have some knowledge of how these transactions work.
RO519
AG
Is he dead yet?
valtosca
AG
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
BringJackieBack89
ellebee
"Even though I could totally kill a chimp by touching it, the desire to make money off the pictures far outweighed the risk of killing them." God I hate this guy...

http://theroadchoseme.com/marienburg-chimpanzees
AgLA06
AG
Is he dead yet?
Presley OBannons Sword
every time this thread gets bumped, I eagerly click, in hopes that he is in fact dead. alas, he lives. Dan may outsmart us all by living, and that is a tragedy.
BringJackieBack89
AG
Is he dead yet?

And I really had high hopes for this thread...
Bitter Old Man
AG
So no one else has to click it.... His most recent post said he just crossed into Gabon.... He said Cameroon was awesome...
Sean98
AG
ellebee said:

"Even though I could totally kill a chimp by touching it, the desire to make money off the pictures far outweighed the risk of killing them." God I hate this guy...

http://theroadchoseme.com/marienburg-chimpanzees
I'm not clicking on that, but I'm assuming that by "touching" the chimp he would be giving it AIDS and it would die a slow auto-immune disease riddled death.

His entire trip may be giving me a long slow death as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.