Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

633,433 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by HalifaxAg
EVA3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If he survived the election protests, he's home free.
The Fife
jpd301 said:

Texmid said:

BringJackieBack89 said:

Quote:

Why did he need to spend so much money outfitting his Jeep if he is just "backroading"? Hell, he could have done everything he has done so far in a Ferrari.
Forgive my ignorance, but are there actually a continuous system of paved roads that will get him all the way around the continent?
I was wondering the same thing. And WTF was the point of the half-baked stuff he tried to do with the Jeep in the first place if this was the plan?
Bockaneer
AG
and who needs all those hashtags for a Sunday drive?
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
The Fife
OverSeas AG said:

The Fife said:

jpd301 said:

Texmid said:

BringJackieBack89 said:

Quote:

Why did he need to spend so much money outfitting his Jeep if he is just "backroading"? Hell, he could have done everything he has done so far in a Ferrari.
Forgive my ignorance, but are there actually a continuous system of paved roads that will get him all the way around the continent?
I was wondering the same thing. And WTF was the point of the half-baked stuff he tried to do with the Jeep in the first place if this was the plan?

think about his sponsors... there must be some disappointment. Maybe this is why his woman left... she found out he was only backroading.
If I was a sponsor, yeah I would be too. Maybe all roads turn to crap once he gets farther in, but at this point driving down Ranch Road 12 is a bigger adventure.
BringJackieBack89
AG
The Fife said:

OverSeas AG said:

The Fife said:

jpd301 said:

Texmid said:

BringJackieBack89 said:

Quote:

think about his sponsors... there must be some disappointment. Maybe this is why his woman left... she found out he was only backroading.
If I was a sponsor, yeah I would be too. Maybe all roads turn to crap once he gets farther in, but at this point driving down Ranch Road 12 is a bigger adventure.
There are roads which stop being roads once you get into Nigeria and down through Cameroon. One coastal road is passable but you have to manuveur around remains of a lava flow. Some potholes will swallow a few cars. There are plenty of man-made blockages which are used near the end of every month to support the local police "pension". In Nigeria, if you aren't traveling with an armed MOPU, army police, then you run the risk of being guided to the bush so they can relieve themselves while relieving you of some possessions. All this is before you make your way to Gabon and Angola.
Kenneth_2003
AG
EMY92 said:

Because it hasn't been worth updating due to the D'bags lack of activity.

Here are the few that are still "alive" in the death pool:

November 25 - TexasAggie_02
December 6 - htxag09
December 31 - Kenneth_2003
January 5 - Bitter Old Man

Survives - powerbelly51, BenderRodriguez, mathguy86, Mr. McGibblets

This is the final 8. Half think he will die, half think he'll live. I think at this point, we are all hoping for the former.
To be fair... I thought he'd already be kidnapped by ISIS or some other group and be beheaded on Dec 31.
I'm only halfway still in the pool I think.
ursusguy
AG
I think even ISIS may be bored with ole Dan by this point.
valtosca
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Guitarsoup said:

KT 90 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Just saw some sort of dead animal on 59 Could be a dog. Feral dogs can carry rabies. Really dodged a bullet there. Keep on heading to 10.

Make sure to take a pic if you get all four wheels off the pavement at some point, even if only by a few feet. Then Danny boy will have nothing on you.

I'm pretty sure that all of I-10 in Louisiana counts as off road by Texas Road standards, doesn't it?

If you think Louisiana is bad, wait until you get to Mississippi!

I think Alabama is more dangerous than africa.
AnScAggie
AG
Dammit, again!!!!!
nai06
AG
Well they did go through Baghdad
spud1910
AG
He just posted on Facebook the first picture I have seen of the Jeep with all 4 tires on an unpaved road.
Caliber
AG
Geez... I must be masochist... Actually went to his facebook page again. There is a comment on his "recovery tools" post about not needing a winch if you have a hi-lift jack, His reply:

Quote:

I have read about that, though I've never seen it done or done it myself. I would need to get some experience I think.
What a tool.
aggieforester05
AG
Brad06ag said:

Geez... I must be masochist... Actually went to his facebook page again. There is a comment on his "recovery tools" post about not needing a winch if you have a hi-lift jack, His reply:

Quote:

I have read about that, though I've never seen it done or done it myself. I would need to get some experience I think.
What a tool.
Has he even gotten the jeep anywhere near a situation that it could get stuck? He's probably the type that puts it in 4wd on a wet road. He should have gone to work for a dirtwork company for awhile and really learned how to get vehicles unstuck. Until you've spent three hours digging with your bare hands just to hook a chain to a shackle on a 50,000 lb machine buried in four feet of muck, you don't know what being stuck is.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Is he dead yet?
cmag
Think everyone stopped caring.
Bitter Old Man
AG
I still care. My date hasn't passed yet...
TexasAggie_02
AG
my date was black Friday. Fidel Castro died though, so there's that
Bitter Old Man
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

I'm going off the reservation on this one. I say January 5th, 2017.

He'll get kidnapped long before that, but they will keep him alive until they realize no one will pay enough ransom for him.
I'm still in the game...
Mr. McGibblets
AG
EMY92 said:

Because it hasn't been worth updating due to the D'bags lack of activity.

Here are the few that are still "alive" in the death pool:

November 25 - TexasAggie_02
December 6 - htxag09
December 31 - Kenneth_2003
January 5 - Bitter Old Man

Survives - powerbelly51, BenderRodriguez, mathguy86, Mr. McGibblets

This is the final 8. Half think he will die, half think he'll live. I think at this point, we are all hoping for the former.
IN IT TO WIN IT!!!

So what do we win if he stays alive? I vote a $200 GC at Texian Firearms....Just Sayin
Bockaneer
AG
at his rate of travel, we'll all die of old age before he circuits africa
CanyonAg77
AG
Latest video from him.......

ccard257
AG
heads up, Dan.

fake US embassy in shut down in Ghana

Quote:

A fake US Embassy which has been operating in Ghana for about 10 years has finally been discovered and shut down...

...Members of an organized crime gang made up of Turkish and Ghanaian citizens operated the fake Embassy in Accra where they flew the American flag on the building every Monday, Tuesday, and Friday from 7:30am to 12 noon and issued fraudulently obtained, legitimate US visas, counterfeit visas, false identification documents (including bank records, education records, birth certificates, and others) for a cost of $6,000.

According to the Department of State, the suspects hanged a photo of President Barack Obama on the wall of the room and targeted mainly citizens of Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, and Togo.

frorge
AG
Sooo, is he dead yet?
Bitter Old Man
AG

Looks like he's in Guinea....
Bitter Old Man
AG
Quote:

Due to my hopeless organization I've hit the middle of the rainy season
Figures....
cmag
Well that's substantially more off-road than we've seen him up to this point.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Next up should be Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Ivory Coast..... Shht about to get real...
Bitter Old Man
AG
And this there's this....

Quote:

P.P.S. Sorry for the lack up updates. WiFi has been virtually non-existent since leaving Senegal. I have thousands of photos and hours of HD video to upload, I will keep working on it!
Bockaneer
AG
off the grid is he now
valtosca
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

Looks like he's parked in the lot behind the old Luby's on Texas in College Station
TexasAggie_02
AG
Lucy's is no more. It's cafe eccell now
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
MasterAggie
AG
He needs to hurry up and get himself killed. This has drug out long enough.
FSGuide
valtosca said:

Bitter Old Man said:

Looks like he's parked in the lot behind the old Luby's on Texas in College Station

I was parked in a place just like this the other day, off to the side of the Kroger in Palestine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.