Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

634,153 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by HalifaxAg
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://theroadchoseme.com/georgetown-and-the-river-gambia

Quote:

After a few days rest I book a tour of the River Gambia National Park, with none other than The Stone Man. When I jump into the boat the captain is introduced as "Hippo Man" because he never fails to find the hippos. I explain I have never seen one before, and he says "Give me 30 seconds". The boat moves barely 50 meters from where we got in, and right there in the shallow water is a female hippo! Coooool.

People are swimming and washing clothes less than 20 meters from the hippo, which shocks me!
The guys explain this one has lived here for years, and has never hurt anyone.
Let's raise our glasses to the Hippo man who always finds the hippo that always hangs around in that one spot.
txags92
AG
I thought that by definition, any picture he posts is a "poser shot"?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Quote:

A slight design flaw in my water tank means I have to park the Jeep on an incline to get the last couple of gallons out.
Just one slight flaw? Wait till he figures out the rest of the flaws we all know (and tried to tell him) about!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Quote:

A slight design flaw in my water tank means I have to park the Jeep on an incline to get the last couple of gallons out.
Just one slight flaw? Wait till he figures out the rest of the flaws we all know (and tried to tell him) about!
He got rid of that dead weight Emily. That should have upped his mpg from about 8 up to 9
AggieChemist
AG
Mother****er post a picture of a bat and says it can carry Ebola.

**** this sick ****.

Now he's gonna invoke Ebola to the masses when his ***** ass is still hundreds of miles north of Guinea. If there was any true threat of Ebola, this me-first millennial ***** would be having a blogged self discovery event on another continent. Go ahead, dickface. The locals already suffered through Ebola. You're safe now.

****in ****heel.
txags92
AG
How in the F is what looks to be an Egyptian fruit bat or some close relative going to get and carry ebola? I could see insect eaters possibly picking it up sporadically. But I am pretty sure the early teams searching for the source of Ebola around mt elgon tested nearly every type of local wildlife, including bats, and never found a host.
txags92
AG
Interesting...after reading up a little, he is almost half right. Egyptian fruit bats can carry Marburg, which is related to ebola. Learn something new every day...
SteveBott
AG
Corrected by AC
txags92
AG
Don't think they are a true "host". Pretty sure it is just as devastating to them as it is to humans.
SteveBott
AG
AggieChemist
AG
The west African Ebola outbreak was due to bats. It can be carried in bats.
txags92
AG
Is there any speculation or idea about how it ends up in fruit bats? That is the part that surprised me. I would expect to see it in insect eaters.
Presley OBannons Sword
TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

After a few days rest I book a tour of the River Gambia National Park, with none other than The Stone Man. When I jump into the boat the captain is introduced as "Hippo Man" because he never fails to find the hippos. I explain I have never seen one before, and he says "Give me 30 seconds". The boat moves barely 50 meters from where we got in, and right there in the shallow water is a female hippo! Coooool.

People are swimming and washing clothes less than 20 meters from the hippo, which shocks me!
Let's raise our glasses to the Hippo man who always finds the hippo that always hangs around in that one spot.
for some reason I'm picturing George Clooney from the Perfect Storm saying this but with an African accent. "I always fin' de hibboes! ALWAYS." ***motors john boat fifty yards downstream***
AggieChemist
AG
txags92 said:

Is there any speculation or idea about how it ends up in fruit bats? That is the part that surprised me. I would expect to see it in insect eaters.

Bats are insect eaters.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/12/141230-ebola-virus-origin-insect-bats-meliandou-reservoir-host/
txags92
AG
Some eat insects, some eat fruit. I was referring to the picture he posted showing an Egyptian fruit bat and what I read on wiki regarding them possibly carrying Marburg. When you just said bats as the source for the ebola outbreak without qualifying it, I assumed you were also referring to fruit bats. Makes much more sense if they were insect eating bats.
Prince_Ahmed
txags92 said:

Some eat insects, some eat fruit. I was referring to the picture he posted showing an Egyptian fruit bat and what I read on wiki regarding them possibly carrying Marburg. When you just said bats as the source for the ebola outbreak without qualifying it, I assumed you were also referring to fruit bats. Makes much more sense if they were insect eating bats.
Many fruit bats eat insects: http://library.sandiegozoo.org/factsheets/rodriques_fruit_bat/rodriques_fruit_bat.html#diet
cadetjay02
AG
Too bad the bats won't eat Dan.
AggieChemist
AG
That bats chewed me.
duck79
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

for some reason I'm picturing George Clooney from the Perfect Storm saying this but with an African accent. "I always fin' de hibboes! ALWAYS." ***motors john boat fifty yards downstream***

I'm picturing a ride at Disneyland with a mechanical hippo that rises out of the water. Actually, I'm taking the kids to Disneyland next week and I'll let you'll know if I see Dan when we hit the safari at Animal Kingdom.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Guitarsoup
AG
Maybe I should blog my road trip to Tuscaloosa tomorrow. Going to be more exciting than his entire trip has been. And driving through Louisiana may need more dangerous.
Scruffy
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Maybe I should blog my road trip to Tuscaloosa tomorrow. Going to be more exciting than his entire trip has been. And driving through Louisiana may need more dangerous.

True
techno-ag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I may be headed to Calvert. Will do the same.
AnScAggie
AG
OverSeas AG said:

so... we have been waiting for Dan to do something for so long... we are arguing about Bats.

Not the adventurer I thought we were getting.
I agree. I hate this guy.
The Fife
Guitarsoup said:

I travel to North Charleston every day. Really makes you think
swimmerbabe11
"Is he dead yet?" has changed to "has he gone anywhere yet?"
Guitarsoup
AG
Just saw some sort of dead animal on 59 Could be a dog. Feral dogs can carry rabies. Really dodged a bullet there. Keep on heading to 10.
KT 90
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Just saw some sort of dead animal on 59 Could be a dog. Feral dogs can carry rabies. Really dodged a bullet there. Keep on heading to 10.

Make sure to take a pic if you get all four wheels off the pavement at some point, even if only by a few feet. Then Danny boy will have nothing on you.

Guitarsoup
AG
KT 90 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Make sure to take a pic if you get all four wheels off the pavement at some point, even if only by a few feet. Then Danny boy will have nothing on you.

I'm pretty sure that all of I-10 in Louisiana counts as off road by Texas Road standards, doesn't it?
TexasAggie_02
AG
http://theroadchoseme.com/around-banjul

ol' Dan got his jeep ransacked by Narcotics officers b/c he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Apparently he's carrying two passports and they thought he was up to no good? He's an australian living in canada, are those his two passports? i don't recall him ever saying.
powerbelly
AG
He may just have 2 Australian passports.

I know there are a few reasons that allow for a person to have 2 US passports (political and logistical).

AggieChemist
AG
It's a pretty good idea to have backups of all your stuff in Africa.

TIA, Bru.
stdeb11
AG
Quote:

The road into town is extremely rough I'm mostly in first and second gear

I can't stand this guy. Just crawling around rough roads in 2nd gear probably at like 40mph....I'm not even sure why i'm following this thread anymore. Nothing exciting happens and I keep hating him even more.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I took an online course through Emory on the ebola outbreak. They traced the outbreak back to a little boy who played inside a hollowed out tree near his home-bats nested or whatever bats do, up inside the tree and were the source.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
If it was like the game in 2014, much more dangerous.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.