Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

633,503 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by HalifaxAg
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
September 20th...he's not dead yet. He commented on one of his latest blog post replies about the A/C in his car.

As it turns out, the Sahara is hot.
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BKf70y7j8tP

https://instagr.am/p/BKjCtB6DkmR
TexasAggie_02
AG
http://theroadchoseme.com/across-mauritania

quote:
After a lot of back and forward, I decide I will not explore Mauritania. The distances are vast, and I'm not certain I will be able to buy gas in the remote areas of the desert I'm interested in exploring.
quote:
To be perfectly honest, I'm also kind of done with the endless sand and intense sun beating down day after day.

I'm done with the desert. I'm ready for something else.
quote:
I venture downtown to the market, and am a little shocked by the poverty and desperation I see. It's by far the worst I have ever seen in my life.

reality starting to set in?
End Of Message
AG
He's going to get sub-Saharan and have a genuine wake up call.
Naveronski
AG
I hope we don't lose good men to rescue him.
powerbelly
AG

quote:
I venture downtown to the market, and am a little shocked by the poverty and desperation I see. It's by far the worst I have ever seen in my life.
Its only downhill from here.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
He's Canadian right? Sounds like he made his own grave.
ccard257
AG
He's Canada's problem
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:
He's Canadian right? Sounds like he made his own grave.
Australian living in Canada
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Hmmm, tired of desolation, sand, poverty, and "monotony". Since my Sept 18 pick is now gone, hope he sells out and heads back to Nova Scotia or something really remote then to satisfy his thirst for adventure. Just when he lowers the bar for being a real tool bag, he digs a deeper trench and lowers it considerably more.

Guess those cheeky photos aren't so great now Danny Boy.
Chazz03
AG
My September 30 pick is looking really good
End Of Message
AG
The "they are so happy, despite having nothing" bull**** is going to disappear very quickly soon. Rural, sub-Saharan Africa is an unforgiving place.

Don't know the language, customs, culture, or how to keep a law profile? Then you're pretty much ****ed.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
at least he doesn't look like a fish outta water white dude whose car and accessories will feed and educate 12 Liberian families for life.......otherwise he might die sometime in mid October.
AggieChemist
AG
My US Embassy-approved Sierra Leonian driver was fluent in all dialects in the country, according to him. One day we were headed out to check on a "clinic" in a remote village. We couldn't find the village, so we stopped to ask the locals. He couldn't understand them, nor they him. He was completely floored. In less than 50 km we had run out of this guy's known world, and we were in his own country!

This of course, will not be a problem for Dan, as we had been off of a paved road for more than 45 km at that point.
AG
quote:
This of course, will not be a problem for Dan, as we had been off of a paved road for more than 45 km at that point.
Funny, he is tired of all the sand and the only sand he's driven on is when he pulls off the pavement with a dividing line and even some white lines on the edges. He took pictures of camels that "are everywhere" and it's the same camel from two different angles. Will be hilarious when he finds himself in a situation you describe.
IDAGG
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter's post was apparently spot-on. Thanks for the background info:

quote:
To me, it's pretty clear that this is what he's trying to do: he's trying to monetize himself now and in the future. Tons of people so far in this thread have mentioned it based on the details he's provided that the OB has nitpicked, but the overarching theme is that he's trying to become an Instagram "influencer" or "brand ambassador".

To do this, he needs to become visible enough to where he can approach others touting his online presence, or to be solicited by companies to subtlely advertise their products across his social media footprint.
And further up this page the Jeep- Bro is posting about a gas transfer tank mentioning it by brand. After reading MNF's post it is obvious as hell what he is doing.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
MonkeyKnifeFighter's post was apparently spot-on. Thanks for the background info:

quote:
To me, it's pretty clear that this is what he's trying to do: he's trying to monetize himself now and in the future. Tons of people so far in this thread have mentioned it based on the details he's provided that the OB has nitpicked, but the overarching theme is that he's trying to become an Instagram "influencer" or "brand ambassador".

To do this, he needs to become visible enough to where he can approach others touting his online presence, or to be solicited by companies to subtlely advertise their products across his social media footprint.
And further up this page the Jeep- Bro is posting about a gas transfer tank mentioning it by brand. After reading MNF's post it is obvious as hell what he is doing.
which I had brought up a month earlier as well
http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2752920/replies/46908897
quote:
it's pretty obvious from all the hashtagging that he is trying to build a large social media following so that he can take that to various outdoors-related corporations for endorsement money. That's the name of the game these days, how much "reach" you have.
AnScAggie
AG
Any news as to how his hidden water tank is doing? Also, I'm sure a 13 gallon transfer tank makes a lot of sense in N. America. In Africa where gasoline is a little less ubiquitous, I'd have to have 10 of those.
The Fife
That tank doesn't look like it locks. It might as well not exist.
Texas 1836
AG
quote:
That tank doesn't look like it locks. It might as well not exist.
Probably why he is siphoning from his aux tank
BringJackieBack89
AG
#ishedeadyet?
ellebee
quote:
https://instagr.am/p/BKf70y7j8tP

https://instagr.am/p/BKjCtB6DkmR

God his face is so punchable.
XpressAg09
AG
quote:
shocked by the poverty and desperation I see
What, two countries in? Amazing. Just wait til he gets to the non-poverty part of Sub-Saharan Africa!
XpressAg09
AG
If he gets real depressed and offs himself, does that count towards the Death Pool?
ursusguy
AG
Pretty sure if he asks some locals, they can teach him how to siphon gas faster.

This dude is in for a rude awakening Sierra Leon through Nigeria. He's going to be flat out depressed.
AG
quote:
Pretty sure if he asks some locals, they can teach him how to siphon gas faster.

No ****, they would laugh themselves silly at that hack rate he's going. They'll have his BFGs off while he sleeps inside his little cocoon spooning with bigfoot Emily if they don't just machete the both of them.
EVA3
AG
Just checking in and haven't read the thread. Is this guy still alive?
CharlieBrown17
AG
quote:
Just checking in and haven't read the thread. Is this guy still alive?

Solid maybe
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
http://theroadchoseme.com/across-mauritania

quote:
After a lot of back and forward, I decide I will not explore Mauritania. The distances are vast, and I'm not certain I will be able to buy gas in the remote areas of the desert I'm interested in exploring.
quote:
To be perfectly honest, I'm also kind of done with the endless sand and intense sun beating down day after day.

I'm done with the desert. I'm ready for something else.
quote:

reality starting to set in?
As much **** as I've talked on this thread, and as hate-able as this guy is, AND despite the fact that I know he got himself into this mess, these quotes make me feel a little bad for him. It's hard to read tone through typed language, but it sounds like he's starting to get discouraged and scared, which leads pretty quickly to despair. I remember feeling very similarly after my first month into a pretty rough combat deployment to Afghanistan. After the excitement of being there wore off, I realized I had a LONG way to go and that I just might die, and I had a few weeks of pretty deep despair. Not a fun place to be.

Anyways, back to **** talking, because he brought this upon himself.
powerbelly
AG
I would feel bad, but he was warned by dozens of people before his trip that Africa was not in the same ballpark as Latin America. Most of these people either lived in Africa, or traveled extensively there.

He basically ignored everyone.
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
I would feel bad, but he was warned by dozens of people before his trip that Africa was not in the same ballpark as Latin America. Most of these people either lived in Africa, or traveled extensively there.

He basically ignored everyone.
I know, I know. He definitely is responsible for the mess, and his flippant attitude and downright arrogance at times makes him hard to feel bad for. I guess I can just empathize.
RM1993
AG
quote:

Doubtful, cause no one sucks harder than Dan!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Hey, "It is what it is." Right?

Blow on Dan. Blow on.
The Fife
So things will be getting progressively worse for him. Where's the low point - maybe Nigeria? I'm guessing things start to improve a bit once he gets on the other side of Congo?
powerbelly
AG
quote:
So things will be getting progressively worse for him. Where's the low point - maybe Nigeria? I'm guessing things start to improve a bit once he gets on the other side of Congo?
  • Ethiopia
  • Zimbabwe
  • Nigeria
  • Libya
  • Democratic Republic of Congo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.