Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

616,331 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by HalifaxAg
ursusguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fine fine. Once he gets to a not so ISISy, non major communicable disease (read ebola), not rebel run, and not so cactus rapey areas of Africa, I will volunteer to have the OB send me to Africa to find ole Dan......umm, I want a few military guys, a doctory type, and a 24 hour before I try to eat it taste tester.
gomerschlep
AG
Got your medical guy right here.
Bismarck
AG
quote:
Fine fine. Once he gets to a not so ISISy, non major communicable disease (read ebola), not rebel run, and not so cactus rapey areas of Africa, I will volunteer to have the OB send me to Africa to find ole Dan......umm, I want a few military guys, a doctory type, and a 24 hour before I try to eat it taste tester.

"Dan the Blogger, I presume?"
CharlieBrown17
AG
quote:
Got your medical guy right here.

I wouldn't call myself military quite yet but I'm contracted
cuz-i-can
AG
quote:
But aren't you the OB taste tester?
ursusguy
AG
I'm currently going through a bout of food poisoning, so I'm playing it safe.

By the way, trying to do a 1 hour presentation to 70 people while turning into a human balloon sucks. Talking about coyotes and bobcats, all while cropdusting and praying it stayed "dust". Just thought I would share.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
quote:
I'm currently going through a bout of food poisoning, so I'm playing it safe.

By the way, trying to do a 1 hour presentation to 70 people while turning into a human balloon sucks. Talking about coyotes and bobcats, all while cropdusting and praying it stayed "dust". Just thought I would share.

Shouldn't have ate that week old possum pot pie, huh?

Seriously though, that sucks. Had food poisoning not too long ago. Not fun.
ursusguy
AG
More likely random gas station tacos if I had to guess.
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:

Those aren't mutually exclusive...
Centerpole90
AG
Emily is still alive, she posted a Morrocco pic on IG.

https://instagr.am/p/BKU2ZbEh58r
TwoMarksHand
AG
quote:
Have AR-15, will travel.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:

she keeps re-branding herself, can't make her mind up.

was sheff digital photography, and sheffdp, and now sheff creative productions.

her webpage moved from sheffdp.com to sheffcp.com
valtosca
AG
quote:
quote:

Worm Mayor: Listen, you: I was born here, I raised a cloud of children here, my ancestors came over here on the sandwich. [He draws his sword.] No one can make me leave.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:

she keeps re-branding herself, can't make her mind up.

was sheff digital photography, and sheffdp, and now sheff creative productions.

her webpage moved from sheffdp.com to sheffcp.com
I would never expect this type of behavior from a woman.
HumbleAg04
AG
I can only assume she got tired of "DP" jokes.
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BKV55nqjrZi

hey more roads!

lol, which one of you replied with "#overpavement?"
AgEng06
AG
quote:
Pretty good, on the whole.
First thing I thought of...

Yes, I'm 12.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
#whitedividingline =/= #overlandjeep
P.H. Dexippus
AG
So where is he finding his next gas station?
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:

hey more roads!

Edit to add... BAWAHAHAHA!!! The guys that built his camper top are pooing on him!

AggieChemist
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Worm Mayor: Listen, you: I was born here, I raised a cloud of children here, my ancestors came over here on the sandwich. [He draws his sword.] No one can make me leave.

Listen, this is going to be one hell of a bowel movement. Afterwards he'll be lucky if he has any bones left.
Ghost91
Okay, so after seeing this thread mentioned on at least 4 other TexAgs threads, I decided to finally check it out. Thanks for getting me out of almost an entire day of work.

Question #1 - seems that the consensus is that he's a lying/cheating/fraud. But we're not talking about mfbarnes level, are we? I mean, we agree that he IS in Africa, but he is simply embellishing his (boring-ass) story by recycling some pictures, omitting Emily while claiming to be solo, etc right? No one is saying that he is sitting in a condo in Plano making all of this up, right? So other than taking a Travelocity-type vacation instead of the rustic backcountry adventure that he hyped, what's he guilty of?

Question #2 - I don't Twitter, but I understand that the #Jeep thing will link his content to Twitter users who are looking at all things #Jeep. What I don't understand is what's the purpose of some of the other "non-brand" hashtags? For example, what does #livingthedream or #wanderlust accomplish exactly?
Kenneth_2003
AG
2) The excessive pound signs... He's soccer momming to instagram/twitter pound sign searching snowflakes. I've got women on my FB that poundsign the heck out of posts, frequently making up words. It's dumb, they're dumb, or maybe I'm getting old and need to get my cloud yelling license. I mean, does anyone really search pound sign PumpkinSpiceLatteWithAnOrganicBananaBreadMuffin ? Good God that was hard to type. But I suppose there are snowflakes out there in Isnta/Twitter-world that are into that sorta stupidity.

1) He just generally pissed everyone off. From the time he decided he HAD to have a diesel Jeep and tried to build one on by himself rather than look into how to import one. Then decided that this trip was so important he'd take on debt for it, all while pimping a book about living your dreams while saving money. The whole Africa thing just screamed entitled arrogance. He replied to very sound advice with quips like "South America prepared me." and ultimately "It is what it is." He got to London and mislabeled prominent landmarks all while saying he'd make money blogging and selling his photography. Then admitted his GPS got him lost in France. He's been about as transparent as Obama's vetting period for Obama Care combined with Hillary's medical history. He's traveling solo until it becomes apparent Emily is with him. Then we realize he's delaying posts by up to two months and reusing photos. The whole thing screams fraud. It's fine with me and probably everyone if he just said these things up front, but instead he tried to be coy and got caught!. He claims to be this worldclass Overlander but he's never gotten off the freaking highway. Granted I'm not up on the ins and outs of overlanding, but I don't think this is what people who do this or are more familiar had in mind for his trip. Right now it seems his grand Africa adventure is nothing more than a road trip.

Blow on Dan. Blow on.
Fairview
AG
quote:
Okay, so after seeing this thread mentioned on at least 4 other TexAgs threads, I decided to finally check it out. Thanks for getting me out of almost an entire day of work.

Question #1 - seems that the consensus is that he's a lying/cheating/fraud. But we're not talking about mfbarnes level, are we? I mean, we agree that he IS in Africa, but he is simply embellishing his (boring-ass) story by recycling some pictures, omitting Emily while claiming to be solo, etc right? No one is saying that he is sitting in a condo in Plano making all of this up, right? So other than taking a Travelocity-type vacation instead of the rustic backcountry adventure that he hyped, what's he guilty of?

Question #2 - I don't Twitter, but I understand that the #Jeep thing will link his content to Twitter users who are looking at all things #Jeep. What I don't understand is what's the purpose of some of the other "non-brand" hashtags? For example, what does #livingthedream or #wanderlust accomplish exactly?
If you need another day not doing work read the article linked earlier on the couple that went through the Congo. Time consuming but awesome.
Ghost91
quote:
quote:

If you need another day not doing work read the article linked earlier on the couple that went through the Congo. Time consuming but awesome.
Yes, that's on my to-do list for tomorrow. Thank you, all of you.
texrover91
AG
quote:

hey more roads!

Well we now know the logic behind BFG AT's over an MT - after his exhaustive road-testing of course
TexasAggie_02
AG
with emily's web address getting renamed and revamped for the 3rd time, i can see why he was posting on reddit about a Predator reboot yesterday. he was probably screwing around in a coffee shop while emily redid her website.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
BuddysBud
AG
quote:
If you haven't yet, you all owe it yourselves to read the adventure story of a couple that spent time in the Congo doing a similar trip in a Landcruiser.

Warning: long

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa
Bumped the Congo link since it has been mentioned several times, and it is buried on Page 9 of 63.
(I cannot believe that no one gave the original post any stars).
ursusguy
AG
Thanks for the perspective and explanation. That does explain quite a few things.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Jesus, I think the guy might make it around Africa before I finish reading your post.
Kenneth_2003
AG
One thing you failed to mention and fits 100% with your thesis is his WikiOverland site. He wants to be the one stop shop for all of your overland traveling needs.

But like you said the folks that do this aren't using Jeeps and don't need wiki instructions or Instagram to learn to do what they're doing.
saltyoldguy
AG
Thanks for that, very helpful for those of us who aren't too savvy on the business of social media.

But you failed to answer:

#Ishedeadyet
texrover91
AG
Cool post MonkeyFighter - thx

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.