Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

615,650 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by HalifaxAg
Post removed:
by user
Whitetail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
She just makes him deserts.
cmag
Does Emily have a blog running? Probably more interesting. #soimtravelingaroundafricawitha******bag
AggieChemist
AG
I noticed today that his facebook updates are now appearing in my feed as "sponsored" content... Usually, stuff that I have "liked" show up organically based on date and/or activity. He is now paying to have his stuff show up in feeds.

Wonder how he's financing THAT?
nai06
AG
quote:
I noticed today that his facebook updates are now appearing in my feed as "sponsored" content... Usually, stuff that I have "liked" show up organically based on date and/or activity. He is now paying to have his stuff show up in feeds.

that stuff is cheap, maybe $5-$10 per content ad
Whitetail
AG
Who is taking the pictures? They all look professional to me.
Zemira
AG
quote:
Who is taking the pictures? They all look professional to me.

I think Emily is the photographer?
TexasAggie_02
AG
he bought a canon 60D, so pics are probably a combo of his and hers. what few pics that are in her portfolio (portraits of people they've met in morocco, and monkeys) are better than some of the pics he's posted. But as Guitarsoup pointed out several pages back, she has a tendency to way overuse flash.
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
quote:

that stuff is cheap, maybe $5-$10 per content ad
I've done some targeted facebook ads, and I can burn $20 easily in just a few days to reach a couple thousand people in WV.

If he's marketing it on any scale at all nationwide, he is spending multiple hundreds of dollars.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:

i'm getting posts as sponsored content as well.

lol, i know on facebook ads, you can target people that "like" certain things on facebook, are in specific age groups, in specific states or towns, etc. I wonder if he is targeting ads to people that like TexAgs? Almost all the pages i've liked are outdoor/wildlife photographers (so the ads could be reaching me that way), Texas Country Singers, Aggie related pages (FTAB, TexAgs, Aggie Athletics).
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
he bought a canon 60D, so pics are probably a combo of his and hers. what few pics that are in her portfolio (portraits of people they've met in morocco, and monkeys) are better than some of the pics he's posted. But as Guitarsoup pointed out several pages back, she has a tendency to way overuse flash.
And use it completely improperly.

Nothing I've seen is something the average person that has a passing interest in photography couldn't do.
AZAG08
AG
I really hope he is spending money to target ads at TexAgs users
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
I really hope he is spending money to target ads at TexAgs users
i think he is, he's getting a ton of page hits from here. even if you don't go to his page, the hotlinked photos are generating hits. I could be getting his ads b/c of outdoor photographers i follow, but it could be b/c of TexAgs. I do not like or follow anything that he hastags (other than maybe travel photography). There's nothing in my likes for 4x4, jeep, overland, africa, etc. I have zero books, movies or TV shows listed on my page.

If anyone else that follows TexAgs on facebook are getting his ads, let us know what kind of pages you follow that might cause his ads to show up.
BQ_90
AG
somebody sent him a DOSS sticker for the jeep.
gigemhilo
AG
I followed him on instagram because of this thread. thats it. I also looked at his blog from my computer. And I got a sponsored ad.
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:
I followed him on instagram because of this thread. thats it. I also looked at his blog from my computer. And I got a sponsored ad.
Dan is watching you..
aggiepublius
AG
Umm... Facebook is the one watching you.

If you use the same browser for Facebook or their fb login on a site or visit a site that uses the FB share widget (see the bottom right of TA), Instagram (owned by FB), Zuckerberg and company is tracking you the pages you visit all over the web and serving up ads based on where you go.

Dan doesn't have to be smart enough to make the connection to TexAgs - Facebook is doing that for him as they, like Google, have scanned the web and the links shared on their sites to built a massive search index. When they see AggieChemist has read the Texags thread on Dan and then goes to Fb, they decide AggieChemist would be someone one to show sponsored ads about Dan's adventures to.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I don't want him to die, do i?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Stop trying to make ATT cry.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
quote:
Stop trying to make ATT cry.
Or curse a blue streak.
TexasAggie_02
AG
this pic from emily's website

I presume it's the leader of their camel caravan. Pic was taken with a Canon 5D mk3 on 6/21/16. So Dan is keeping true to his 2-month lag on posting.
Kenneth_2003
AG
So you're saying... We should follow his website and instagram, but don't "Like" his page. Therefore we can use FB's algorithms to target his adds to us, and deplete his ad budget.

Brilliant!
TexasAggie_02
AG
she also has a pic of the 3 little kids, and it was taken on 6/19
XpressAg09
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
this pic from emily's website

I presume it's the leader of their camel caravan. Pic was taken with a Canon 5D mk3 on 6/21/16. So Dan is keeping true to his 2-month lag on posting.
Assuming her camera is set to the correct time and date
TexasAggie_02
AG
Either Dan and Emily parted ways, or they are already in Senegal together. Emily has a Senegal album, with pics taken from July 21 to Aug 3rd

http://www.sheffdp.com/#!senegal-gambia/cqfus

Edit, If she's in Senegal, what happened to Mauritania?
Guitarsoup
AG
Old Dan hates America.

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/4y8615/til_that_in_the_late_1960s_the_shah_of_iran_sent/d6n7t7t?context=3
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Old Dan hates America.

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/4y8615/til_that_in_the_late_1960s_the_shah_of_iran_sent/d6n7t7t?context=3
An Australian preaching to Americans about how natives were treated? Has he not seen Quigley Down Under?
TexasAggie_02
AG
edit, nvmrmd, i suck at reddit
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
Texmid
AG
Doesn't it cost him money every time one of us sees his Facebook ad? If I understand correctly, he has to pay to boost his page and the boost buys him a certain number of views. So, if we all get on Facebook and jump the view count he will keep having to buy more?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Doesn't it cost him money every time one of us sees his Facebook ad? If I understand correctly, he has to pay to boost his page and the boost buys him a certain number of views. So, if we all get on Facebook and jump the view count he will keep having to buy more?
You can do ads based on views or clicks.

Click through every time you see it. That should make him continue the Texags targeted ads.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Assuming her camera is set to the correct time and date
i think it is. The judging by the biker couple's blog where we had our first emily sighting, the pic of her and dan in the Atlas mountains was taken on 6/18.

this monkey pic on her website was taken on 6/18
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/overlanding/comments/4ybxcs/my_experience_of_how_99_of_bribery_attempts_go/d6n8qem?context=3

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeep/comments/4y1uyl/my_rubicon_in_the_sahara_names_are_confusing/d6krh5m
Guitarsoup
AG
Looks like you are right.

Wonder why he is delaying everything two months. That has got to be a pain in the ass to keep up with, while trying not to be killed by the locals.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.