Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

634,131 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by HalifaxAg
Bitter Old Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Does he realize this is not the exciting adventure the people wants to see? Pigeon pie and olives? For ***s sake
Its pretty obvious that his plan is to bore the crap out of everybody following him, and once most of his followers are gone, then he will quietly sell the jeep and head home. That's why he was at the dealership, to get a price...
The Fife
quote:
quote:
Does he realize this is not the exciting adventure the people wants to see? Pigeon pie and olives? For ***s sake
Its pretty obvious that his plan is to bore the crap out of everybody following him, and once most of his followers are gone, then he will quietly sell the jeep and head home. That's why he was at the dealership, to get a price...
Never buy a used Jeep from Morocco Direct Auto
BuddysBud
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Never buy a used Jeep from Morocco Direct Auto
But it has a spice rack and 8 gallons of preheated water...
Centerpole90
AG
Aaand.... We're bombing ISIS in Lybia. He will need to turn around and go the other way.
cmag
Sure he's already looking for the next cargo ship back to Canada.
nai06
AG
ugh I just read some of his posts.

In regards to Morocco:

quote:
It's been a while since I have driven in an undeveloped country, and it's a shock to be thrown back so deeply into "Make It Up Driving" as I like to call it. Turn signals, stop signs, red lights and lane markings mean absolutely nothing. Go when there is space. Jam in when there is not.
undeveloped my ass. 60% of the population lives in urban areas, they have around 70,000KM of highways, and the longest cable stayed bridge in africa. Hell, its hard to find a non western toilet in most of the major cities.

Also, Im wondering where he's going to cross the Morocco-Algeria border at seeing as its closed and has been that way since the mid nineties.
cmag
He thinks Morocco is undeveloped huh
Credible Source
AG
Now he's talking about staying 3 months in Morrocco
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Where did you see that?
cmag
Bad news bub, the closest thing you are going to get to a stop sign in most of these countries is a dude in a mask with an AK
easttexasaggie04
AG
Maybe he caught wind of that LandCruiser thread from a few pages back.
Ag_of_08
AG
quote:
Now he's talking about staying 3 months in Morrocco

Ie when his visa probably runs out and he has to cross back in to Spain.
tamuags08
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:

In regards to Morocco:

quote:
It's been a while since I have driven in an undeveloped country, and it's a shock to be thrown back so deeply into "Make It Up Driving" as I like to call it. Turn signals, stop signs, red lights and lane markings mean absolutely nothing. Go when there is space. Jam in when there is not.
undeveloped my ass. 60% of the population lives in urban areas, they have around 70,000KM of highways, and the longest cable stayed bridge in africa. Hell, its hard to find a non western toilet in most of the major cities.

Also, Im wondering where he's going to cross the Morocco-Algeria border at seeing as its closed and has been that way since the mid nineties.
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......

HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahHhHhHhHhahahah...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!

Morocco is extremely developed. The country has multiple Four Seasons resorts, FFS. Modern airports. Working plumbing. Trains that run and run on time. Ski resorts. Maybe in exceptionally remote tribal areas things get dicey but that is a very serious exception to the rule.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:

In regards to Morocco:

quote:

Unless they have walls separating the countries, a closed border on the highway isn't around a Jeep, bro
cmag
"Unless they have walls separating the countries, a closed border on the highway isn't around a Jeep, bro"

So far this guy doesn't scream "off road". The bumps might spill some of his spices.
deddog
AG
quote:
Just reading the very first set of comments, we're about to follow this dudes online obituary. Without expanding all of the comments, it seems his replies are "It is what it is" and "I'll deal with it as the situations arise."

He boasts on his build thread about how he built his water system and other small things, but he doesn't have a clue in terms of his own security.

This is a well financed (albeit mostly on credit it seems) version of the Chris McCandless story.
And a response...

ISIS stands for "It iS what It iS."
nai06
AG
quote:
quote:

In regards to Morocco:

quote:

Unless they have walls separating the countries, a closed border on the highway isn't around a Jeep, bro

I'd echo what cmag said regarding his off road ventures so far. The area he is trying to cross has many walls, fences and armed guards. Plus it's no secret who he is and what he is trying to do. When you get into the more rural areas word travels fast that an American is around, especially one with a setup like he has. It won't be any secret where he is going cross and I wouldn't be surprised if people were waiting for him in Algeria.
The Fife
What, no land mines? I'm disappointed here.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG

He made it to Bastrop!
bdgol07
AG
Running boards aren't even dirty.

I think we've all been bamboozled
RogueAg
AG
I've been tellin' y'all for weeks this was a scam.
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
sunchaser
AG
I got more mud on my truck at Viva Big Bend in downtown Alpine last week.
cmag
quote:
Is he dead yet?

No, because he still in Morocco. Sounds like he's starting to figure that out
BringJackieBack89
AG
Is he dirty yet?
ac04
i have had my jeep in more extreme conditions at barnwell mountain recreation area. this guy is a beating to follow. do something cool for god's sake
End Of Message
AG
Spices and olives aren't your thing?
Caliber
AG
Dude is in for a real shock, from his blog post today...

quote:
I'm becoming skeptical of basically everyone who tries to befriend me it's virtually always a ploy to get me to spend money on something or other. It's a shame, because it means I'm not having genuine interactions with locals, rather I'm just a wallet with legs.
End Of Message
AG
quote:

quote:
I'm becoming skeptical of basically everyone who tries to befriend me it's virtually always a ploy to get me to spend money on something or other. It's a shame, because it means I'm not having genuine interactions with locals, rather I'm just a wallet with legs.

Welcome to Africa, idiot.
aTm2004
AG
quote:

quote:

Uhh...duh!
Bitter Old Man
AG
What is his broke-ass doing with a wallet anyways?
nai06
AG
quote:

quote:

Morocco is full of genuinely friendly and nice people that they aren't just after your money. You just aren't going to find them walking around a medina. It would be like walking onto a car lot then being appalled someone tried to sell you a car
Fairview
AG
It further shows the arrogance of this idiot. He's shocked strangers in Africa don't want to be his friend and talk about how the road chose him. If he ever gets out of the olive shop and on the road he's going to learn the hard way when some dudes stomach chooses him for dinner.
NotGibbs
quote:

quote:

So you're telling me the guy who sold him olives wasn't actually his friend?!?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.