Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

616,348 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by HalifaxAg
texrover91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Right down the road in the PNW he could have found a better suited vehicle

http://www.eco-offroad.com/sales--importation.html

But considering how little thought he put into his "proposed" route I doubt he had the forethought - his world is all rainbows and unicorns
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
quote:
Right down the road in the PNW he could have found a better suited vehicle

http://www.eco-offroad.com/sales--importation.html

But considering how little thought he put into his "proposed" route I doubt he had the forethought - his world is all rainbows and unicorns
Those prices are pretty wild-I didn't pay that much more for a new 2016 Land Cruiser 76.
texrover91
AG
Yeah I was thinks to myself he could also call OEFM but it would be way too practical to rely on folks in country to get kitted out
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
quote:
Yeah I was thinks to myself he could also call OEFM but it would be way too practical to rely on folks in country to get kitted out
When we were looking to buy a vehicle, I talked to a friend who spent years here working for World Food Programme. I was on the fence between a Land Cruiser and a Defender, which here aren't any more expensive than a Land Cruiser-he has one. But he told me Land Cruiser-you can get parts for them all over Africa. That may be a problem for a Jeep.
Zemira
AG
I was hoping for an alive or dead update.

One-eyed I am absolutely amazed at your journey and the service you are doing. Hope everything goes well for you!
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
quote:
I was hoping for an alive or dead update.

One-eyed I am absolutely amazed at your journey and the service you are doing. Hope everything goes well for you!
I'll keep my One-Eye open for him if and when he comes through. If he makes it this far, it will be a miracle.

Thanks for the prayers. If you guys want to keep up via FB, we have a page, Life in Lundazi
Kenneth_2003
AG
If he makes it as far as you, I have no doubt you'll show him this thread and TexAgs will gain new notoriety!
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Here it's spelled muzungu. If the shoe fits...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HANeuW][/url]
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
BringJackieBack89
AG
Been away for a while...is he dead yet?
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Is there someplace he updates more frequently? The last post was just about his jeep build. So far this thing has turned into "hey everyone look how super creative I am and how much I sacrifice social norms to chase being popular." I figure if he has actually started his journey he wouldn't be able to post much but I was very disappointed that after he got his jeep in Germany his last post was about the build. Maybe he had to replay the video to figure out what parts he needs to buy because he already broke down?
oneeyedag
Got pics of his head swinging off handlebars of some bike, ala truck nutz?
Caliber
AG
quote:
Is there someplace he updates more frequently? The last post was just about his jeep build. So far this thing has turned into "hey everyone look how super creative I am and how much I sacrifice social norms to chase being popular." I figure if he has actually started his journey he wouldn't be able to post much but I was very disappointed that after he got his jeep in Germany his last post was about the build. Maybe he had to replay the video to figure out what parts he needs to buy because he already broke down?
It would be nice if he would update something, he isn't even good about saying where he is.

On June 16, the post about meeting up with the people from Lost World Expedition is in Seville, Spain, but you have to go to the other couples Facebook to figure that one out.
texrover91
AG
Do they do online obituaries in Africa?

Probably the best source for updates

I mean they have interwebz all Africa right?

G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I think their wifi coverage matches that of the Visa/MasterCard coverage
Kenneth_2003
AG
NO kidding! He loaded up on the pics around London when he got there and promptly mis-identified notable landmarks while visiting them with friends no-less. Think the internet shamed him into being quiet?

He did the Skype interview with Fiat-Chrysler two days before he mentioned Lost World Expedition and the backgrounds look somewhat similar so I guess that video was done in Spain as well.

So he's....

• Still in Spain to GPS his way to the ferry docks
  • Still in Spain trying to figure out the daily ferry schedule
  • He's realized finally he's in WAY over his head and looking for a way out to save face
  • Ran out of gas and Visa turned his card off
  • Left without telling anyone
  • Odd though... considering he comes off as a know-it-all attention hoarPerhaps the London landmarks shamed him into being quiet?
  • Stuck in Morocco customs trying to figure out the finer points of border crossings
  • Jeep broke down in ____________
  • Dead in ______________

Any guesses? Any other options?

Bismarck
AG
How about, said F it and went to Ibiza instead?
BringJackieBack89
AG
I don't think he is that smart.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I think he's in a modified 3 mode in your choices. It was easy to do the build and talk a big game, then he is able to get a jeep shipped across an ocean. Now he's starting to get real feed back from some people that have more experience and that has to be a nut punch.

Especially after getting lost in that totally isolated country of France. Imagine it was a slap to his goofy mug that he didn't get help from surly frenchies and that the peoples of Africa are gonna come at him with a lot more than some disinterested, sour smelling French resident. Time for him to paint the jeep, pawn it off on someone to try to recoup 10 cents on the dollar he spent and slink back under the cover of anonymity to Canada, then maybe back to Australia where he will resume his Walter Mitty job.
BuddysBud
AG
Maybe he is a reincarnation of MFBarnes, sitting in his basement in Calgary making all this stuff up.
aTm2004
AG
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
That one texager mistook him for a boar and he shot his nuts off
Bitter Old Man
AG
Since border crossings in Africa are more about Bribes than anything, he's lucky that he has that Visa to go into debt with. I'm sure the border guards all have personal credit card machines...
BringJackieBack89
AG
Is he dead yet?

We can't let this thread die before this numpty does.
The Fife
quote:
Do they do online obituaries in Africa?

Probably the best source for updates

I mean they have interwebz all Africa right?

Do Africa have a board?
texAZtea
AG
does he give an email address on his sight or anything? Something we can exploit to figure out where he is?
AggieChemist
AG
Two days ago he shared some puff-piece on Facebook about how life was short so you should live now.

I'm guessing he's still ****ing around in Europe somewhere.
HowdyOutbound
quote:
Since border crossings in Africa are more about Bribes than anything, he's lucky that he has that Visa to go into debt with. I'm sure the border guards all have personal credit card machines...

Well, they should at least have ATM machines at every stop.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Two days ago he shared some puff-piece on Facebook about how life was short so you should live now.

I'm guessing he's still ****ing around in Europe somewhere.

It's even shorter when you travel Africa in a Chrysler.
cadetjay02
AG
He's replying to comments on the website regularly. I'm going to try and sound impressed and get an update.
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
He's realized finally he's in WAY over his head and looking for a way out to save face

most likely COA.
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
His itinerary is as thought out as his ****ty Jeep build. I dislike him even more now that he's delaying the inevitable epic failure circle jerking around Europe.
End Of Message
AG
He's not going to Africa, despite his insistence that the road chose him.

The paved, civilized road chose this dewsh.
aTm2004
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.