Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

633,458 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by HalifaxAg
Humorous Username
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you haven't read that Congo story, you owe it to yourself to read it. Wonder how far they would have made it without the missions/churches being in almost every village.
Mathguy64
AG
The couple who did that Congo trip have a website showing their entire multi year trip. It was beyond comprehension. Frederik mentioned at one point that driving across Asia they went through all the 'Stans.

They have also dropped off the face of the earth. Their website hasn't been updated in some time and no one seems to know where they are.
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
VanZandt92
quote:
Drhockey, I believe this is the link.
quote:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa

This Congo trip sounds miserable.
Shelton98
AG
quote:
quote:
Drhockey, I believe this is the link.
quote:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa

This Congo trip sounds miserable.

40 days in a car with the rib, half the time spent digging yo sheet out of the mud and a crowd of beggars waiting for you at every turn? Yeah, sign me up.
VanZandt92
This right here from the Congo,so miserable

"Day 29

We did not have anything to do today but to keep out of trouble and wait for our mechanics. We slept until the sun transformed our tent into a sauna. Upon opening our tent we were greeted again by the looks and laughter of our crowd. The first thing we heard today was somebody shouting from a distance "Eh Mundele -Donnez-moi de l'argent!" -"Eh mundele - give me money". A very good morning to you too!

We would move our chairs regularly around the car, trying to escape the onlookers. Minutes later the crowd would then move too so they could see us again. They always kept a distance of 20meters or so, but nobody talked to us. From time to time they would shout something (usually begging). We tried to be as uniteresting as possible...

After a while I got really fed up. I took my chair and put it close to them. I sat down, facing them. I looked straight into their eyes. They looked straight back. I just sat still for half an hour, hoping they would get bored of looking at me. Or possibly even embarrased. But I lost. They did not loose interest.
I tried talking to them, explaining that we would really appreciate if they stopped looking at us as we would like to get some rest. I avoided the word privacy as it an unknown concept here anyway. I only got blank stares in return. From the back of the crowd I could here somebody shout "Donnez-nous de l'argent!" -"Give us money". Shortly after followed by "Ce n'est pas vorte pays!" - "This is not your country"

This made me so angry. He was right ofcourse, this was not my country. I was nothing more then a visitor. I had no other intentions but to explore their country and meet the people. But they did not want me here. They wanted my money, but not me.

We did meet a few interesting people though. A teacher from the local school came to see us. It was a math teacher. He had heard that I am a computer engineer. He had a question for me. He had heard about Internet and how it was such an interesting tool. But what is Internet exactly? I asked if they had computer here. They did not. He knew there were computers and Internet in Kikwit, but that is several hundres of kilometers from here.

He kept me busy for many hours. I tried my best explaining him all the different components and concepts. Everything from a modem to a webpage. I drawed him diagrams and everything. But I am a bad teacher I guess.. I could see he had difficulties understanding it all. How do you explain Internet to somebody who has never seen a computer? He took my notes and said he would teach his students about 'Internet'."h
p_bubel
Both, child's play

16 years in a Graham Paige.

Spark your dream
CactusThomas
AG
So basically Congo is Austin without internet access?
ursusguy
ellebee
I only had to dig out 17 times on my 5 mile trek to work this morning. Easy day.
frorge
AG
quote:
The couple who did that Congo trip have a website showing their entire multi year trip. It was beyond comprehension. Frederik mentioned at one point that driving across Asia they went through all the 'Stans.

They have also dropped off the face of the earth. Their website hasn't been updated in some time and no one seems to know where they are.

A quick search found his fb page. He updated his profile picture in May.
Mathguy64
AG
I didn't google fu him I guess I should have. Thanks!
BuddysBud
AG
quote:
quote:

I knew we could count on OB to find them
Kenneth_2003
AG
Is he dead yet?
guyace
Somebody needs to get him a SPOT Global Phone, http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=123, that he can connect his laptop to so that he can post nightly updates on his adventures and we can see what happens to his Jeep after it is seperated from him.
ursusguy
AG
quote:
Somebody needs to get him a SPOT Global Phone, http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=123, that he can connect his laptop to so that he can post nightly updates on his adventures and we can see what happens to his head after it is seperated from him.

There, that should cover it.
frorge
AG
quote:
quote:

My first blue star-ed post!
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
quote:
If you haven't read that Congo story, you owe it to yourself to read it. Wonder how far they would have made it without the missions/churches being in almost every village.
My favorite line in the whole story is when he says he'd like to meet the person who stole all the toilet seats in Africa. We bought two seats in Lusaka, before we moved to our new home in Lundazi.
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
Texas 1836
AG
That congo blog reminds of one thing - what a corrupt craphole most of the world is compared to the US.

And there are some who are trying as hard as they can to turn us into that crap.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
That congo blog reminds of one thing - what a corrupt craphole most of the world is compared to the US.

And there are some who are trying as hard as they can to turn us into that crap.

EMY92
AG
So, this idiot has been in England for a couple of weeks. I thought that he was low on funds, shouldn't he be getting out of a very expensive area to be in?
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
So, this idiot has been in England for a couple of weeks. I thought that he was low on funds, shouldn't he be getting out of a very expensive area to be in?
He's getting in the last vacation of his life since he has started the countdown to suicide by Africa. Give the guy a break.
Texas 1836
AG
quote:
quote:
My favorite line in the whole story is when he says he'd like to meet the person who stole all the toilet seats in Africa. We bought two seats in Lusaka, before we moved to our new home in Lundazi.
It reminds me of something else - the incredible generosity and thankless work/sacrifice some people do for others. In this case, the missionaries in these countries. Godspeed to them.

Just didn't want to be all negative.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Thanks Mark. If I can find it, I'll try to post one day; a friend of mine, who lives in Boston, but went to Texas, grew up as a missionary kid in Congo. Her grand parents were missionaries, too. She sent me a wedding announcement from the SA Express News dated sometime in the early 1900s, tellingo of her grandparents wedding in SA. Her grandfather was named Roy Cleveland, and was from Brownwood. They got married in the afternoon, short reception, then went to the train station, where they boarded a train with a destination of Philadelphia. From there, they took a ship with a final destination of the Belgian Congo. There are a lot of children and missionaries buried in the cemeteries at the Presbyterian mission stations we've traveled to in Congo.

I'm thinking of taking a road trip in our Land Cruiser in August, from Lundazi, to Northern Tanzania. It's about 24 hours driving, but no knowledge of the road conditions. We'd like to visit and connect with the East Africa ECHO Training Center, and then spend a few days at Serrengetti National Park. Still working on Melissa to get the green light.

Have you heard anything from our buddy, Brian Grossenbacher, lately. From what I read on FB, it sound like he travels all over the world, taking fly fishing photos for Simms and magazines.
Texas 1836
AG
quote:
Thanks Mark. If I can find it, I'll try to post one day; a friend of mine, who lives in Boston, but went to Texas, grew up as a missionary kid in Congo. Her grand parents were missionaries, too. She sent me a wedding announcement from the SA Express News dated sometime in the early 1900s, tellingo of her grandparents wedding in SA. Her grandfather was named Roy Cleveland, and was from Brownwood. They got married in the afternoon, short reception, then went to the train station, where they boarded a train with a destination of Philadelphia. From there, they took a ship with a final destination of the Belgian Congo. There are a lot of children and missionaries buried in the cemeteries at the Presbyterian mission stations we've traveled to in Congo.

I'm thinking of taking a road trip in our Land Cruiser in August, from Lundazi, to Northern Tanzania. It's about 24 hours driving, but no knowledge of the road conditions. We'd like to visit and connect with the East Africa ECHO Training Center, and then spend a few days at Serrengetti National Park. Still working on Melissa to get the green light.

Have you heard anything from our buddy, Brian Grossenbacher, lately. From what I read on FB, it sound like he travels all over the world, taking fly fishing photos for Simms and magazines.
I thought about you when I was typing that, and reading about their adventures.

I heard from Brian a few weeks ago. And yep, he said he was out of town for about 6 weeks doing a photo shoot for ... YETI.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Maybe he'll come do a shoot on the Zambezi about fly fishing for tiger fish. I brought my fly rods and some wire leader just in case we have a chance to go fishing there.
aggieforester05
AG
Not Africa, but this shows you how quickly a jungle cat can attack you:

cz308
quote:

Big pile of NOPE right there!
Bitter Old Man
AG
NOPE NOPE NOPE That F-in Cat wasn't there before, he just appeared in the grass, pissed off...
Bitter Old Man
AG
Also, that cameraman has ice in his veins....
Bird Poo
AG
Damn cat ripped his hand off!
Goose
AG
400 lbs of pissed off kitty cat that'll jump up and chomp off your hand while you're riding 8-10 feet up on the back of a ****ing elephant. No thank you.
powerbelly
AG
There is a reason the British liked to carry these in India when riding an elephant:

[img] [/img]
FrontPorchAg
quote:
quote:

Big pile of NOPE right there!
Holy Crap! I've ridden on those elephant safaris before and didn't think much about it. I backpacked through the jungle on the Nepal India border once and that is effin' scary. Between tigers rinos, wild elephants and cobras no one should ever live there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.