*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,907 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

For those that have seen it, how many times do we get Paul saying, "ITS WORMING TIME!"?
I just want to say something is pretty wizard
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I forgot he was in Excalibur, but never would have considered that as having scifi elements in it. It was a weird movie from what I remember.
#FJB
toucan82
nerd complaint:

no new or particularly interesting trailers.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Just sat down in the AMC at Katy Mills. So stoked to witness DV's vision of one of the best science fiction novels ever published.
#FJB
The Porkchop Express
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Kinda curious about the David Lynch version now. I see it's streaming on Max. Is that worth a watch?
I'd say it is. It's not a bad movie but don't go in expecting a similar treatment as this current iteration of the Dune story. DV made the right choice to split the story into 2 movies, whereas David Lynch had to cut a bunch just to get a 2.5 hour movie. It does have a great score by Toto, Sting as Feyd-Rautha, and Sir Patrick Stewart's first role in a science fiction movie.
Lynch was George Lucas's first choice to direct Return of the JEdi, but turned it down to do Dune instead.
bonfarr
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Kinda curious about the David Lynch version now. I see it's streaming on Max. Is that worth a watch?
I'd say it is. It's not a bad movie but don't go in expecting a similar treatment as this current iteration of the Dune story. DV made the right choice to split the story into 2 movies, whereas David Lynch had to cut a bunch just to get a 2.5 hour movie. It does have a great score by Toto, Sting as Feyd-Rautha, and Sir Patrick Stewart's first role in a science fiction movie.

Having never read the books I was surprised when the weirding modules weren't in the new version. I thought that was a cool invention from the DL version but their absence from the updated films isn't an issue to me. I am also a fan of DL's guild navigators being weird creatures floating in a fish bowl.

I liked the Lynch version a lot until the very end which felt rushed and when Paul's sister says "and how can this be? For he is the Kwisart Haderach" in that creepy voice reminded me of the resurrected demon kid from Pet Sematary. That scene was so cringe.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Faustus
Prosperdick said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Excalibur in '81 flirted quite a bit with science fiction elements although that's such a strange movie it's hard to pin it to any one genre. That movie, though, had an obscene amount of young talent...Stewart, Helen Mirren, Gabriel Byrne, Ciaran Hinds and of course, Liam Neeson.

ETA - Sorry for the tangent...making my 14 year old son watch Dune (2021) tonight and then we're going to see Dune 2 while he's on spring break so hopefully I can get good seats on a week day.
As a young teenager watching it a few years after it came out I appreciated how much they beat around the bush.
cone
AG
good movie, faithful to the book, especially the Bene Gesserit propaganda/prophecy angle

so long though
Moral High Horse
cone said:

good movie, faithful to the book, especially the Bene Gesserit propaganda/prophecy angle

so long though

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lynch was George Lucas's first choice to direct Return of the JEdi, but turned it down to do Dune instead.
Curious. I might have heard that at some point, but I do know Lucas actually wanted his good buddy Steven Spielberg for Jedi, but Spielberg said it was George's "baby" so he declined. I'd love to have seen what peak Spielberg would have done with Jedi.
#FJB
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
bonfarr said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Having never read the books I was surprised when the weirding modules weren't in the new version. I thought that was a cool invention from the DL version but their absence from the updated films isn't an issue to me. I am also a fan of DL's guild navigators being weird creatures floating in a fish bowl.

I liked the Lynch version a lot until the very end which felt rushed and when Paul's sister says "and how can this be? For he is the Kwisart Haderach" in that creepy voice reminded me of the resurrected demon kid from Pet Sematary. That scene was so cringe.
I am rewatching Dune (1984) now for the first time in many years. I still love the score for this one, but damn if this movie is more akin to watching Battle Beyond the Stars when I just want to see Star Wars after having seen Dune Part 2 earlier today.
#FJB
bonfarr
AG
Looking over the cast list for Dune 1984 it blows my mind that Alicia Witt was Alia Atreides. I never knew that. And woof, Sean Young hasn't held up well over the years.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
TCTTS
AG
She's 64 years old.

That looks like a pretty standard 64-year-old to me.
The Porkchop Express
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Curious. I might have heard that at some point, but I do know Lucas actually wanted his good buddy Steven Spielberg for Jedi, but Spielberg said it was George's "baby" so he declined. I'd love to have seen what peak Spielberg would have done with Jedi.

22 years later Spielberg directed the yoda-sidious final fight in Revenge of the Sith so probably it would have been bad ass. Marquard was pretty incredible in the great luke Vader scene on endor.
TX04Aggie
AG
Just got back from watching it at the theatre. So good. Im not a huge sci fi guy, but loved the first one and now this one was even better.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

22 years later Spielberg directed the yoda-sidious final fight in Revenge of the Sith so probably it would have been bad ass. Marquard was pretty incredible in the great luke Vader scene on endor.
Marquand did do a great job with the first and last acts of the movie. No one was going to do anything with those freaking teddy bears.
#FJB
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

At the risk of starting another debate, I'm fairly sure it was the Anakin-Dooku fight in AOTC, and he was the one who suggested all the close ups of their faces with the lightsabers lighting up their faces.

Some cool-looking shots admittedly, but I always thought that went on too long and the fight itself wasn't the greatest.

(See, I can direct my criticisms towards my trilogy and not just the sequels all the time.)
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok, looks like he worked on some stuff in ROTS too.

Can't find a source for my AOTC claim, but I don't think I'm making that up. Probably from the DVD extras but I'm too lazy to confirm.
wangus12
AG
When I bought tickets my local theater was nearly sold out for 7pm. Either people forgot or they are showing up late. There's only like 15 people here lol
cone
AG
it was plenty

could have used more Alia tho
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
Just saw it in IMAX - our party of 4 were all saying best sci-fi movie of all time lvl
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Won't be able to see it until next Saturday but the ****ing Regal Lone Star wont post advance tickets for Dune2 past 7-Mar for some reason....

I've looked every day for 4 days for Mar 9, and it just wont show up... sad
bbattbq01
AG
Saw it in IMAX tonight. Have not read the book(s). I didn't really care for how the narrative was put together but holy eff what amazing eye and ear candy I just experienced.
bonfarr
AG
Was that Anya Taylor-Joy as a grown Alia Atreides?

I have never been a big Florence Pugh fan but she looked smoking hot in Dune 2.

SpreadsheetAg
AG
bonfarr said:

Was that Anya Taylor-Joy as a grown Alia Atreides?

I have never been a big Florence Pugh fan but she looked smoking hot in Dune 2.

1- Yes; hopefully the naked battle bot scene is in Messiah

2- will judge next week...
Moral High Horse
11am butt hole popcorn
mavsfan4ever
AG
Man that was an awesome theater experience. Couldn't have been better.
bonfarr
AG
Truly magnificent movie, stunning visually and the casting and performances were excellent with the exception of one role. Am I the only person here bothered by the casting of Christopher Walken as the Emperor? There has to be dozens of actors that would have been a better fit. Walken's weird line deliveries and mannerisms just seemed off for the role. I expected the Emperor to be like Tywin Lannister, cunning,cruel, and excellent at political scheming. Walken's performance made him seem like a weak pawn with a voice straight out of Pulp Fiction.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My 2:40 pm IMAX showing today is more full than opening night. Seems word is getting out.
Moral High Horse
Maybe half full for 11am imax. Fandango had this showing as nearly full. Get your s*** together people.
schmendeler
AG
Loved that it basically started immediately after the first one ends. I would love a blu-ray version of the two movies where they are cut as one seamless film.
Jeff99
I disagree. His characterization is consistent with the book and even more so the tone of the movie. He's the personification of what the Empire has become - stagnant and decadent. He's someone who was easily manipulated into making the decision that sealed his own doom.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Wow. Just wow.
StinkyPinky
AG
Jeff99 said:

I disagree. His characterization is consistent with the book and even more so the tone of the movie. He's the personification of what the Empire has become - stagnant and decadent. He's someone who was easily manipulated into making the decision that sealed his own doom.

I tend to agree with this as well. That was the overwhelming feeling I got from reading the book as well that he easily manipulated and surprised me how little he was feared. Everyone was gunning to over throw him, and Paul certainly was intimidated by him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.