*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,204 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The reactions just keep coming...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Did you see The Whale?

Austin was fantastic but he wasn't winning that year. It's just too bad they didn't come out on different years.
JDUB08AG
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Did you see The Whale?

Austin was fantastic but he wasn't winning that year. It's just too bad they didn't come out on different years.

I saw it. Still not the biggest fan of the whale. I think Butler delivered a better performance.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Did you see The Whale?

I didn't. Near the end of Elvis I thought the biggest shame was that he would never play that role again. That's how good he was.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quad Dog
AG
My son is in this annoying phase (hopefully a phase) of every book or movie that dad likes isn't cool, eventhough he was my scifi/fantasy buddy for a while. So I talked my daughter up that Dune is secretly a girl power movie with the Bene Gesserit and Zendaya running things in the background. So we are watching Part 1 tonight, hoping she'll come with me to see Part 2.
Decay
AG
Quad Dog said:

My son is in this annoying phase (hopefully a phase) of every book or movie that dad likes isn't cool, eventhough he was my scifi/fantasy buddy for a while. So I talked my daughter up that Dune is secretly a girl power movie with the Bene Gesserit and Zendaya running things in the background. So we are watching Part 1 tonight, hoping she'll come with me to see Part 2.
Just tell your son you hate something about it (insert thing he knows you'd hate here) and he's not allowed to watch it. Instant forbidden fruit!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Show him that Zendaya outfit - might change his mind
Quad Dog
AG
Decay said:

Quad Dog said:

Just tell your son you hate something about it (insert thing he knows you'd hate here) and he's not allowed to watch it. Instant forbidden fruit!
Darn kids are too smart for that.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Hit him with this:

The Porkchop Express

What a copycat this guy is.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

What a copycat this guy is.
That must be the connection people are seeing to TESB.

Man, that shot from Empire still amazes me, especially given the time period it was created in with old-style tech, models and etc.
#FJB
A is A
AG
A is A said:

TCTTS said:

Ha, missed that. Of course. It's so insanely confusing.
Not to make it more confusing but... according to that wiki...

the Regal Edwards Houston Marq*E & IMAX has an aspect of 1.43.1 but is IMAX CoLa. Which they list as single laser and limited to 1.90:1. That's very confusing.

So the screen is 1.43.1 but will only be shown in 1.90? Am I interpreting that correctly?

I'll try this again as it got hidden with all the HYPE.

***HOUSTON***

For those that are in Houston or any knowledge of IMAXs. I've called and contacted their support email with no luck. It's about an hour drive for me.

Basically - the wiki () states its a 1.43 screen (I've seen pictures so can confirm that) but also listed as CoLa (single laser). Why would they build a theatre with a 1.43 screen and a 1.90 projector? Seems extremely odd and a waste of space.

Anyone been to Regal Edwards Houston Marq*E & IMAX and seen the screen used correctly?

Thanks in advance. Otherwise I'll just find the largest, most comfy widescreen near me.
TCTTS
AG
Do CoLa projectors only project in 1.90:1? Unfortunately, I have no idea what a CoLa projector even is.
RED AG 98
AG
CoLa is a nickname for their Commercial Laser system, which is a single 4k digital projector and is used for 1.90 screens. As opposed to their Grand Theater experience which is the dual 4k lasers and used for large format 1.43 screens.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha, thanks.
RED AG 98
AG
This stale link from the now-defunct lfexaminer is very similar to the wiki link you shared a couple weeks ago, but is much more complete in terms of listing the format and screen size (as of 10/21 anyway...).
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I love this woman...

A is A
AG
RED AG 98 said:

This stale link from the now-defunct lfexaminer is very similar to the wiki link you shared a couple weeks ago, but is much more complete in terms of listing the format and screen size (as of 10/21 anyway...).
This is what I used. that plus there is a wiki out there. Unfortunately cannot seem to get confirmation. But since you confirmed my thoughts on the single laser - I bet it will be widescreen 1.90. they must have done a projector swap at some point.
RED AG 98
AG
A is A said:

RED AG 98 said:

This is what I used. that plus there is a wiki out there. Unfortunately cannot seem to get confirmation. But since you confirmed my thoughts on the single laser - I bet it will be widescreen 1.90. they must have done a projector swap at some point.
My understanding is that single laser is only 1.90; the dual laser setup is required for the taller screens of 1.43 because they vertically stretch the pixels a bit.
TCTTS
AG
1.90 isn't bad at all. It's still a big screen/expanded frame. In fact, that's what I'm choosing to see it in first, with friends. Then, I have a single ticket for true 1.43 a few days later. Yes, 1.43 is more immersive, but with 1.90 you're further back from the screen and can better observe the whole frame. So there are advantages to both.

What I absolutely wouldn't see it in is standard 2.35.

And it drives me nuts that the digital/Blu-ray of the first movie is somehow still in 2.35. Really hoping we get a Part One 1.90 re-release when Part Two hits digital/Blu-ray this summer.
TCTTS
AG
Actually, I'm pretty sure Part Two was shot entirely in 1.90/1.43, so there may not even be a 2.35 this go around. Which technically makes the 1.90 version of Part Two "better" than the 1.90 version of Part One, seeing as the 1.90 version of Part One constantly switched back and forth between 2.35 and 1.90. Part Two should be a smooth 1.90 all the way through.

(I feel insane typing out all those ratios out, btw.)
RED AG 98
AG
I think I read for Dune II that he shot in Imax digital, transferred to film for some vfx and then scanned to digital for edit? Or something crazy like that. A compromise of sorts and some of the best of both worlds kind of approach.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I think you're right. That's awesome.
TCTTS
AG
YouBet
AG
She is attractive. I like her.
A is A
AG
TCTTS said:

The problem I have with this is, other than Dune, that is a list of sequels following a full, complete movie. Dune Part 2 is just the second half of the first movie. I do not think it is a fair comparison.

Am I the only one that does not consider this a sequel?
Al Bula
AG
I don't trust all these supposedly in-the-know twitter accounts. Maybe .002% of the population (likely less) knows who these "people" are, and the majority of movie aficionados are ill-informed when it comes to following social media accounts just because it's ZOMG Social Media!!!

It's super cringe to throw all this praise on a movie whose predecessor missed the mark in a major way.

I've softened on my harsh criticism of Dune (2021), but there are still glaring errors in the storytelling and casting that shouldn't be overlooked just because QUOTE ***social media*** UNQUOTE "says" the Dune sequel is the next (LMFAO) Godfather II.
TCTTS
AG
A is A said:

TCTTS said:

The problem I have with this is, other than Dune, that is a list of sequels following a full, complete movie. Dune Part 2 is just the second half of the first movie. I do not think it is a fair comparison.

Am I the only one that does not consider this a sequel?

Part One is the first half of a BOOK.

But it's a complete movie.

Paul, the Baron/Harkonnens - they all have full arcs, and the plot definitely has three acts/reaches *a* conclusion.

The bad guys win.

Game over.

House Atreides is no more.

And yet… unbeknownst to the Baron, Paul is still alive, having finally found his purpose. From "a little boy" to a would-be leader.

No different than Batman Begins reaching a conclusion, but Bruce Wayne's/Batman's story not yet being over (and, in fact, just beginning).
TCTTS
AG
Al Bula said:

I don't trust all these supposedly in-the-know twitter accounts. Maybe .002% of the population (likely less) knows who these "people" are, and the majority of movie aficionados are ill-informed when it comes to following social media accounts just because it's ZOMG Social Media!!!

It's super cringe to throw all this praise on a movie whose predecessor missed the mark in a major way.

I've softened on my harsh criticism of Dune (2021), but there are still glaring errors in the storytelling and casting that shouldn't be overlooked just because QUOTE ***social media*** UNQUOTE "says" the Dune sequel is the next (LMFAO) Godfather II.

You're one of two people I've ever heard have a negative opinion about the first movie. It's damn near unanimously liked, made by one of the most universally beloved filmmakers working today.

And we're supposed to take your word, and your opinion, on not only the first movie itself, but on the opinions of those who enjoyed the second movie as well? Which, by the way, are mostly just random people who saw it earlier than the rest of us. At critic/journalist screenings, at the premiere, etc. They're just… people. And fans. Are some of them "in-the-know"? Sure. But not all of them, not even half of them. And no one is propping them up as any kind of end all be all authority either.

It's so weird how bent out of shape some of you get at reactions like these. They're simply the first impressions we have at the moment, so they're being shared and considered. That's all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.