*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,202 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With news starting to break, cast being announced, and filming just around the corner, I figured it's time to start an official thread for the sequel.

Of note…

- Spoilers for the first movie are obviously fair game/shouldn't require spoiler tags.

- Spoilers for the second half of the first book should be fair game as well, all I ask is that spoiler tags please be used for MAJOR plot points/deaths, for those of us who still want to go into the sequel movie fresh.

Thanks!

Dune: Part Two
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15239678/
October 20, 2023
Theatrical Exclusive

TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
canadiaggie
AG
In
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

"I'm finishing the screenplay now, and we expect to be shooting by summer, which is practically tomorrow morning. With the first half of Dune, the toughest part was introducing the world and laying down the rules. Now just the fun of the story is left. I'm always very cautious discussing movies that are in the making; they're full of fragile ideas. But the second one will definitely be more visual and less dialogue-driven. And, hopefully, there will be another film after that. Dune Messiah, Herbert's second novel in this universe, would make total sense as a third movie because it completes Paul Atreides's arc. I want to make part two as fast as possible, then I will wait a few years - until Timothe Chalamet gets a bit older - to do the final installment."
powerbelly
AG
I'm excited to see how he pulls this all together.

I will be curious if they end up making Dune: Messiah. Completely different tone of book and I am not sure the casual audience will like it as much.
Quad Dog
AG
I'm curious to see where this movie starts. There are many potential points in the book. If they do a time jump from the ending of the first, will there be some sort of montage to catch us up?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Watchlisted. Thanks for the thread start
TCTTS
AG
I don't know if this tells us anything, and again, I haven't yet read the book, but at one point the plan was to end Part One after they reach whatever sietch they're headed to, and do some kind of scene there, then end the movie. But they ultimately decided instead to pull back and save the sietch reveal for Part Two.

So, my guess would be, if it's still told from Paul's POV (as opposed to Chani's), we're going to *arrive* at the sietch with him, and enter that world though him/his mother/that group. That feels like the most screenwritery thing to do, at least. In other words, it would be weird to introduce us to a new world *not* through the eyes of the main character.
The Dog Lord
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't know if this tells us anything, and again, I haven't yet read the book, but at one point the plan was to end Part One after they reach whatever sietch they're headed to, and do some kind of scene there, then end the movie. But they ultimately decided instead to pull back and save the sietch reveal for Part Two.

So, my guess would be, if it's still told from Paul's POV (as opposed to Chani's), we're going to *arrive* at the sietch with him, and enter that world though him/his mother/that group. That feels like the most screenwritery thing to do, at least. In other words, it would be weird to introduce us to a new world *not* through the eyes of the main character.

I think this is likely. There's not much they should skip story wise since they have an entire movie to tell the second half of the book.
hunter2012
AG
powerbelly said:

I'm excited to see how he pulls this all together.

I will be curious if they end up making Dune: Messiah. Completely different tone of book and I am not sure the casual audience will like it as much.
Just make it a 2 part-er with Children of Dune to have Leto II wrecking the planet for some action.

Is it just me or would Children of Dune be impossible to make just because the children would have to give a ridiculous acting performance with all the roles the "past lives" require. Would be really cool to see the worm transformation on screen though...
hunter2012
AG
The Dog Lord said:

TCTTS said:

I think this is likely. There's not much they should skip story wise since they have an entire movie to tell the second half of the book.
Aren't they like 3/4 or 4/5 of the way through the book?
-Paul sheds tears for the dead
-Paul joins the Fremen and Lady Jessica becomes a Reverend Mother
-Spice orgy
-"the little mouse" besieges the capital and captures the Emperor and Harkonnen, takes the crown

There's not a lot of book to tell unless if they're going to show the actual war.
jac4
AG
There's going to at least 30 minutes of spacecraft taking off and landing.
TCTTS
AG
And if it looks as awesome as it did last time, fine by me.
Flatlander
They could start with the scene where Fenring visits the Baron.
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
Flatlander said:

They could start with the scene were Fenring visits the Baron.

I think this is a key story point. Telling the audience about the strategy to make an inhospitable planet with unbearable climate to condition a population so they can take the strongest of the survivors and make an army.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

- Spoilers for the second half of the first book should be fair game as well, all I ask is that spoiler tags please be used for MAJOR plot points/deaths, for those of us who still want to go into the sequel movie fresh.

This has become like the episode of Friends where only Joey knows that Monica and Chandler are hooking up, but then Phoebe and Rachel find out and Joey is so relieved that they can all talk about it, but Ross doesn't know yet, and they want to keep it from him for a while longer.
TCTTS
AG
I KNEW you were going to say something. But whatever.

You can't blame me for wanting to treat it no different than any other thread about any other movie some of us don't want to know the ending to. Especially a Denis Villeneuve movie, which, for me, is basically like a religious experience.

That, and it's not at all weird that I haven't yet read the book. Again, I don't know a single person in real life who has ever read it. That obviously doesn't mean it's not popular/influential/etc. I'm just saying, only you and a handful of others think it's crazy that I haven't yet read it/don't want to know how it all goes down.
Max Power
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

TCTTS said:

This has become like the episode of Friends where only Joey knows that Monica and Chandler are hooking up, but then Phoebe and Rachel find out and Joey is so relieved that they can all talk about it, but Ross doesn't know yet, and they want to keep it from him for a while longer.
I think you mean when Joey thinks he's talking about Little Women without spoiling it, while actually spoiling it. Then Rachel completely ruins it for Joey.
The Porkchop Express
All I'm saying is that there better be a separate spoiler thread for Oppenheimer for people who haven't read how World War Ii ended yet.
powerbelly
AG
TCTTS said:

You can't blame me for wanting to treat it no different than any other thread about any other movie some of us don't want to know the ending to. Especially a Denis Villeneuve movie, which, for me, is basically like a religious experience.

That, and it's not at all weird that I haven't yet read the book. Again, I don't know a single person in real life who has ever read it. That obviously doesn't mean it's not popular/influential/etc. I'm just saying, only you and a handful of others think it's crazy that I haven't yet read it/don't want to know how it all goes down.
I really don't know how that is possible. Dune is a seminal work of science fiction. Do Hollywood people really not read classic works?
Quad Dog
AG
There are a lot more plot points out there than that.
Quad Dog
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm a little sad you feel like you don't know any of us knuckleheads in real life.
Rocagnante
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

All I'm saying is that there better be a separate spoiler thread for Oppenheimer for people who haven't read how World War Ii ended yet.

Take it to the Business and Investing board…
YouBet
AG
Quote:

"I'm finishing the screenplay now, and we expect to be shooting by summer, which is practically tomorrow morning. With the first half of Dune, the toughest part was introducing the world and laying down the rules. Now just the fun of the story is left. I'm always very cautious discussing movies that are in the making; they're full of fragile ideas. But the second one will definitely be more visual and less dialogue-driven. And, hopefully, there will be another film after that. Dune Messiah, Herbert's second novel in this universe, would make total sense as a third movie because it completes Paul Atreides's arc. I want to make part two as fast as possible, then I will wait a few years - until Timothe Chalamet gets a bit older - to do the final installment."
1. How do you get more visual from Part 1?!

2. That is risky as hell on making Dune Messiah. Has he actually read it? I question if he has. It's almost pure dialog with very little action. Would be a complete 180 from these two movies. Readers hated it when it came out and I'm betting viewers would hate it as well. I just finished reading it at the beginning of the year. It's...ok. It's basically a bridge book between Dune and Children of Dune.

Herbert's "trilogy" was Dune, Messiah, and Children of Dune.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I bet you know someone and you just dont know they read it. We are legion

I see both sides of it, because it is interesting to discuss potential ways they could cover the remaining plot points.
But also, this is a movie thread and not a book thread, so they should be listed as spoilers.

On the flip side, we have other threads where we will just straight up post show spoilers from Twitter like its no big deal.
PatAg
AG
I believe the director is quoted as saying that it would have a lot more action
YouBet
AG
PatAg said:

I believe the director is quoted as saying that
Which part?
The Dirty Sock
BRING BACK STING!!!!
The Porkchop Express
The Dirty Sock said:

BRING BACK STING!!!!
Please put spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't watched the 1984 release yet.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

This is the funniest thing I've read all day.
schmendeler
AG
When do Star Lord and the gang arrive?
DrEvazanPhD
helloimustbegoing said:

The Dirty Sock said:

BRING BACK STING!!!!
Please put spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't watched the 1984 release yet.
Shhh.. Jurgen Prochnow played Leto. Had a worse experience on arrakis than he did on that U Boat
YouBet
AG
schmendeler said:

GOTG 3 is up first in which they have to square off against Sith Lord Saruman and his apprentice Gargamel. Maybe end credits of that has them headed to Arrakis.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
YouBet said:

schmendeler said:

GOTG 3 is up first in which they have to square off against Sith Lord Saruman and his apprentice Gargamel. Maybe end credits of that has them headed to Arrakis.

Gargamel is equivalent of the Washington Generals of the wide world of wizarding.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.