*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,221 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The below, for me, is another huge takeaway from all of this. Pundits, podcasters, etc have been saying for years now that movie stars are essentially dead, with only a few remaining, mostly in their 50s/60s, replaced instead by franchises.

But now all the sudden you can just feel Chalamet, Zendaya, Butler, and even Pugh becoming household names in this exact moment, establishing "the next generation" like no new "next generation" in quite a while.

In the wave before them, throw in Margot Robbie with Barbie, Gosling as well, Emma Stone potentially about to win her second Oscar, and even Rebecca Ferguson (now with two giant action franchises under her belt), NONE of whom are in a Marvel movie. Add in all the ones who were, but seem to be moving on for the most part + others - Jennifer Lawrence, Natalie Portman, the four Chrises (Evans, Hemsworth, Pratt, and Pine), Gyllenhaal, Anne Hathaway, Pattinson, etc, and it really does feel like movie stars are coming back in a big way...

veryfuller
Staff
AG
I do think there is a new generation of stars as well. Wonka did well enough at the BO to back that up. Zendaya has Challengers about to come out, which will really put the theory to the test at the BO.
The Porkchop Express
My wife won't part 1 because she can't stand the "thing in their nose".

Buddy of mine saw it early and compared the Chalamet/Butler dynamic to Chadwick Boseman/mJB in Black Panther - the first guy is fantastic, but when the second guy shows up, he takes over the movie and doesn't give it up until he's dead.

Sea Speed
AG
Welp, there's a spoiler.
Cromagnum
AG
My movie theater better be serving their popcorn with spice melange this time around.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I dunno, to me it never felt like movie stars went away. (RDJ, Leo, Cruise, Pitt, etc.)

I suppose in the COVID era, there was a bit of a lull because no new movies were coming out, and the next generation of movie stars hadn't quite been established yet, but Chalamet, Zendaya, and Pugh were all well on their way.

The main thing that's changed since then is Queen's Gambit/Menu, Elvis/Dune, and Banshees/Saltburn have now solidified Anya Taylor Joy, Austin Butler, and Barry Keoghan among that group.
Cromagnum
AG
I dunno I'm in the camp that is tired of seeing Zendaya in everything. She has the emotional range of a stapler and plays herself in everything.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's kind of beside the point though. She's still a movie star at this point. (Granted, maybe not on the level of those others I've mentioned, since she hasn't been the lead in a movie yet that I know of.)
Decay
AG
Cromagnum said:

My movie theater better be serving their popcorn with spice melange this time around.

What's the consensus on flavor/smell? We thinking cinnamon? Maybe with some turmeric notes?
Cromagnum
AG
Decay said:

Cromagnum said:

What's the consensus on flavor/smell? We thinking cinnamon? Maybe with some turmeric notes?

I would be okay with cinnamon.
Faustus
Decay said:

Cromagnum said:

I think Turmeric needs to rebrand. [/Schwarzenegger]
BoydCrowder13
Cromagnum said:

I dunno I'm in the camp that is tired of seeing Zendaya in everything. She has the emotional range of a stapler and plays herself in everything.

I agreed until last night. She did a great job in Dune Part 2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For some reason my mind always goes to cinnamon.
DallasTeleAg
Damn... i'm getting hyped. I've still not read the second half of Dune, thinking I will just watch the movie without the book knowledge. I just have some issues with some of the story and Paul as a character, but we'll see if that is remedied in the second part.
Ornithopter
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Damn... i'm getting hyped. I've still not read the second half of Dune, thinking I will just watch the movie without the book knowledge. I just have some issues with some of the story and Paul as a character, but we'll see if that is remedied in the second part.

I think it would be fun to watch without knowing what's going to happen.

But also, I think there are some pretty cool ways that the book lore adds to the movie. So after your first viewing, read it then go watch it again.
DallasTeleAg
There was definitely some good context I had from reading the first half of Dune before watching the movie.

However, I am more of a fan of Denis Villeneuve versus Frank Herbert. For that reason, I will go forward with consuming his art first, and then go back and get more context.
heddleston
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It has to be Seinfeld:
#FJB
hunter2012
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is correct, they describe it several times in the books as having the smell of cinnamon. The wealthy would use it on their meals. The fremen had so much access to it that it was in everything that they consumed.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Warning do no read the prequel books. They ruin stuff that you envisioned was one way. And isn't. Kind of like midiclorians. The books also aren't very well written.
Decay
AG
But come on, it's the most powerful substance in the universe. Just "tastes and smells like cinnamon" feels underwhelming to me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
O/U on Messiah getting greenlit?

Monday March 4
veryfuller
Staff
AG
If its not his next film, I can see them holding on announcing it.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I dunno, to me it never felt like movie stars went away. (RDJ, Leo, Cruise, Pitt, etc.)

I suppose in the COVID era, there was a bit of a lull because no new movies were coming out, and the next generation of movie stars hadn't quite been established yet, but Chalamet, Zendaya, and Pugh were all well on their way.

The main thing that's changed since then is Queen's Gambit/Menu, Elvis/Dune, and Banshees/Saltburn have now solidified Anya Taylor Joy, Austin Butler, and Barry Keoghan among that group.

I didn't say movie stars went away...

Quote:

Pundits, podcasters, etc have been saying for years now that movie stars are essentially dead, with only a few remaining, mostly in their 50s/60s, replaced instead by franchises.

... just that the biggest ones are all older, and that it didn't feel like Hollywood was making any NEW movie stars, who weren't outside of the Marvel machine.

Now, though? With this new crop, it feels like a balance is starting to be restored.
The Porkchop Express
Qui-Gon? Is that you?
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Basically me the rest of the week...

TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
veryfuller said:

If its not his next film, I can see them holding on announcing it.

Oh we definitely won't get a date or anything, but I can see them officially greenlighting it as a way to get even more buzz around the movie and keep the box office going.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it'll be officially greenlit at some point in March/April, but no actual release date for a long while, unless they pull an Avatar and want to claim a weekend in 2028 or whenever.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Yeah, it'll be officially greenlit at some point in March/April, but no actual release date for a long while, unless they pull an Avatar and want to claim a weekend in 2028 or whenever.
Dune 6 vs. Avatar 9: Memorial Weekend 2043.
BoydCrowder13
Movie stuck with me all day. Just bought tickets for round 2 this Saturday.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
StinkyPinky
AG
TCTTS said:

Ran into a guy in the bookstore yesterday who said this very thing. He said he thought it was going to be based on book 3 though instead of going to book 2 next.
TCTTS
AG
The third movie is definitely based, at least primarily, on Dune Messiah. That does't mean Villenueve won't pull from other books, or change certain things, the latter of which he apparently did for this movie. I could also see it being called Dune: Part Three so as to keep the titles uniform.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.