*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,200 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
Atreides Ornithopter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did the person that screamed at Jessica, not use the correct pitch in "The Voice?"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
LB12Diamond
AG
I'm taking Jessica's side. She's an actual good actress and easy to look at. Rock has pretty much run his course. Have Not been interested in anything he does the past few years.
TCTTS
AG
MBAR
AG
Seeing at at 10:30 ET.

Can't ****ing wait.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Heading to the theater now. See y'all on the other side.
Bird Poo
AG
/well, we're waiting gif
Ol Jock 99
AG
Whelp, time for me to unfollow. Our spring break starts tomorrow and we're camping. See y'all after a while!
TCTTS
AG
This obviously only technically applies to LA, but it's still interesting to see how the average AMC IMAX screen (Burbank and Century City) compares in size to true, 1.43:1 IMAX (The Chines, CityWalk, and Regal Irvine & Edwards)...

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Took tomorrow off to see this at 11:30. Found out today someone in my office had tickets for a showing tomorrow after work. Could have seen it for free. My co-worker actually asked if I would not actually see this more than once, to which I said, no way, but subsequent viewings will likely be at home.
#FJB
TCTTS
AG
One of my sisters, her husband, and my parents - none of whom are into sci-fi but enjoyed the first movie - all bought tickets together for tomorrow night, completely unprompted by me. A small sample size, I know, but still potentially a good sign for the box office.
wangus12
AG
Theater next to my gym is packed
bonfarr
AG
TCTTS said:

This obviously only technically applies to LA, but it's still interesting to see how the average AMC IMAX screen (Burbank and Century City) compares in size to true, 1.43:1 IMAX (The Chines, CityWalk, and Regal Irvine & Edwards)...

We watched Wakanda Forever at the TCL Chinese Theater when we visited LA and did the whole walk of fame bit. I really wish we were there this weekend to catch Dune 2 there
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Moral High Horse
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Heading to the theater now. See y'all on the other side.

Spill it. How many times did you nerd splooge.
Rocagnante
AG
Good movie. Definitely worth seeing in a theater. Saw it on an IMAX in name only screen. Think I need to see it again though to fully appreciate it.

Bird Poo
AG
Cool username. Firefly?

But I'm mainly commenting on your lame review. It's not glowing enough.

Need more glowbell.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
birdman
Just same it earlier tonight. Believe the hype. TOTALLY AWESOME.

Acting was A+. Story great. Special effects were better. Everything you can think of was top shelf. Best movie that I've seen in a long time.

When the credits rolled in our theater, nobody clapped. And not a single person moved or spoke for maybe five minutes. Just sat there in stunned silence. We were shell shocked and tried to take it all in.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was a fantastic movie.

The performances were all superb, but in particular the transformation displayed by Timothee Chalamet was incredibly impressive. I definitely think he's an Oscar contender for this year.

And obviously the visuals and score were fantastic, no surprise there. More of the same from Part 1. I really dug the design of the Harrkonen's homeworld. (The black sun in particular was awesome, how everything appeared black and white in that light.)

With that said though, my only complaint is that the movie felt too short. Which I know sounds crazy for an almost three hour movie.

But there's several significant time jumps where I wish we'd seen some of that in-between time.

In particular, as amazing as the final battle was, it felt super short. The whole movie is leading up to it, and then it was over in what felt like five minutes. (What we DID get was as awesome as you expect, though.) That, and I wish the lead up to the battle was a little more thorough, explaining their battle strategy and seeing how they prepared.

Basically, I wish the movie was four hours long.

I kinda wish the hype and over-the-top hyperbolic praise wasn't raising expectations to such ridiculous heights where it's almost impossible to live up to them.

But, as long as you don't go in expecting literally the greatest movie ever made, you won't be disappointed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, already planning on my second viewing, probably on Saturday. This is one that will definitely need a rewatch to fully soak everything in. And I can already tell that it's the kind of movie that will get better and better the more it sits with you.
Rocagnante
AG
Thanks. It's nod to Rush and The Expanse….
RED AG 98
AG
Finished my second viewing earlier this evening. Saw the 1.43 last weekend, and today on a whim went to the neighborhood theater as the fam was unexpectedly out for a bit. It was the standard film on a typical 4K Drafthouse screen. I was literally the only one in the theater, which was surprising even given the 430pm start time. Anyway, it was still awesome and you already knew this, but it's not the same experience. I think because I knew what has happening and because of the much smaller screen, I was struck a bit more by the audio, both the effects and the soundtrack. The visuals are of course incredible but the audio team and Zimmer nailed it.

Doing the family viewing tomorrow night on a 1.90 IMAX as I didn't have the foresight to buy early for the big screen at the Bullock. Before it's all said and done I'll probably see it there one more time. Anyway, it will be pretty fun to compare to all three prominent ratios in a short period of time, not something I've ever done for a movie still in the theater.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kinda curious about the David Lynch version now. I see it's streaming on Max. Is that worth a watch?
Rocagnante
AG
Personally I think it's an underrated movie. However seeing it so soon after watching this version you'll surely be disappointed. I'd wait a while…
hunter2012
AG
Awesome and it indeed lives up to the hype, I'll be seeing it again tomorrow after I sleep on it.

I can say I really enjoyed it on a first viewing. That was definitely a level of epicness that is rarely seen in sci-fi. Definitely did the author's vision and scope justice. I particularly thought the portrayal of the bene gesserit to be spot on. They're one of the coolest political factions in sci-fi and they got a great display of it in this movie. I won't go off on another tangent but the bene gesserit are exactly how Hollywood should do "girl power" in a movie. It really left me with wanting more, I wish that all 6 books will be adapted as there are some really awesome plot lines and characters that only show up in the later books.
RED AG 98
AG
I agree with Rocagnante, it's underrated. I actually hated it as a teenager, and only after a re-read of the books as an adult grew to appreciate what it was trying to do.

The effects really don't hold up well, par for what you'd expect from non-Lucas 1980s sci-fi. Like all adaptations, it does deviate from the book and in a few different way from the current two. The arc is more complete and there's less world building because it moves so much quicker. I really appreciate what DV has done, and though both films are long-ish by Hollywood standards, I loved the details and as you said even wanted more. Neither feels too long at all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
TXCityAggie
AG
Where can I watch the first one?
PDWT_12
AG
Currently streaming on HBO Max
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Kinda curious about the David Lynch version now. I see it's streaming on Max. Is that worth a watch?
I'd say it is. It's not a bad movie but don't go in expecting a similar treatment as this current iteration of the Dune story. DV made the right choice to split the story into 2 movies, whereas David Lynch had to cut a bunch just to get a 2.5 hour movie. It does have a great score by Toto, Sting as Feyd-Rautha, and Sir Patrick Stewart's first role in a science fiction movie.
#FJB
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
2:40 pm showing for tomorrow purchased, already excited to see it again.
canadiaggie
AG
Seeing it tonight at 10:30!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
For those that have seen it, how many times do we get Paul saying, "ITS WORMING TIME!"?
Prosperdick
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'd say it is. It's not a bad movie but don't go in expecting a similar treatment as this current iteration of the Dune story. DV made the right choice to split the story into 2 movies, whereas David Lynch had to cut a bunch just to get a 2.5 hour movie. It does have a great score by Toto, Sting as Feyd-Rautha, and Sir Patrick Stewart's first role in a science fiction movie.
Excalibur in '81 flirted quite a bit with science fiction elements although that's such a strange movie it's hard to pin it to any one genre. That movie, though, had an obscene amount of young talent...Stewart, Helen Mirren, Gabriel Byrne, Ciaran Hinds and of course, Liam Neeson.

ETA - Sorry for the tangent...making my 14 year old son watch Dune (2021) tonight and then we're going to see Dune 2 while he's on spring break so hopefully I can get good seats on a week day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.