*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,229 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
Moral High Horse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trying to get my wife to watch Dune (pt. 1) so we can go to the threater to see part 2.

Wife: What is it about?

Me:

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
My wife fell asleep when she tried to watch Dune Part 1 back in 2021. This time around, I just said to heck with her, I'm going by myself. Now I don't have to explain anything.
#FJB
BoydCrowder13
Got tickets for Sunday. Pumped.
Moral High Horse
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

My wife fell asleep when she tried to watch Dune Part 1 back in 2021. This time around, I just said to heck with her, I'm going by myself. Now I don't have to explain anything.

Yeah I'm probably going by myself. Perfectly fine with that.
c-jags
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

My wife did too. Both boys liked it.

I bought matinee tickets in imax for the three of us next week and my wife got sad that I didn't include her.

I said "you hate scifi and you fell asleep during the last one."

"Yeah but I don't want yall do go do something without me."

Sigh.

"I'll get another one by us if it's open. But I really hate paying $15 for you to take a nap. "
TCTTS
AG
YouBet
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

When I told my wife I might go see it by myself while traveling for work her response was: "Please do so you will STFU about how and when you will see this movie."
Cinco Ranch Aggie
Decay
AG
My wife is 100% done with Dune and will probably not watch it until it's on TV for free.
StinkyPinky
AG
Wife went to the first one with me, she's definitely in for number two as well. In the process of giving the book a quick read again before (2nd half of book). Did the same prior to #1 seeing I was a kid first time through.
Moral High Horse
Wife made it 30 minutes into Dune pt 1 and was all "I don't like this". Then watched 10 more minutes and officially called it quits. I'll officially be enjoying sand worm popcorn by myself.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is it Thursday yet?
sanitariex
AG
Wife never saw part 1, I tried to convince her to go see 2 with me, but that told her she needs to watch part 1 first. When I went to explain what is was about, was just like the GIF above, I had no idea what to say. So needless to say I'll be going alone
Moral High Horse
sanitariex said:

Wife never saw part 1, I tried to convince her to go see 2 with me, but that told her she needs to watch part 1 first. When I went to explain what is was about, was just like the GIF above, I had no idea what to say. So needless to say I'll be going alone

I tried explaining during the movie and she looked like a dog getting shown a card trick.
YouBet
AG
Moral High Horse said:

sanitariex said:

I tried explaining during the movie and she looked like a dog getting shown a card trick.

I made the mistake of not briefing my wife before hand so I had to retroactively explain it.
TCTTS
AG
A couple in our group going next weekend are joining mainly for the event of it all, the getting to do dinner/drinks after, and basically for fun Saturday night out, etc. The thing is, they still haven't seen the first movie yet, and they're not big sci-fi people either. I told them they have to watch Part One before next Saturday, they said they would, but they're always super busy and I just know there's no way they get around to it. So right before we go into the theater, I'm going to have to spend ten minutes explaining the plot of the first movie in the lobby, I'm going to sound like the biggest dork ever, they're going to look at me with glazed/crazy expressions, and then during the entire movie itself I'm going to be wondering what they're thinking, if they understand it, do they like it, etc.

Part of me is hoping they watch the first one this week, if only in hopes they realize it's not for them and bail.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They forgot Maverick.
TCTTS
AG
Yep. Currently at 96%, so it'd be tied for 4th.
TCTTS
AG
The new trailer that's playing before the Tenet IMAX re-release is so damn good. I had no idea there even was one, as it's an IMAX exclusive, but holy crap. The first minute or so is a sequence straight from the movie, focusing on Josh Brolin's Gurney, that ends on a such a high note, with a great callback to the first movie. After that it kicks into trailer montage mode, with all kinds of new footage, and man, we haven't seen anything yet. When it was over, the entire theater hooped and hollered in applause, and I'm now somehow even more psyched than I already was.
TCTTS
AG
Also, I went ahead and started a spoiler thread, seeing as the "Fan First Premieres" are happening tonight in IMAX, and a number of people here are attending...

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3446255

As always, from here on out, general reactions in this thread, spoiler reactions in the spoiler thread.
TCTTS
AG
Moral High Horse
OMG dune fleshligh
TCTTS
AG
An L of an Ag
AG
Just FINALLY watched part one in Netflix before it expires on Thursday. Can't wait to see part two.
BoydCrowder13
As good as advertised. I'll leave it at that.
TCTTS
AG
BoydCrowder13
TCTTS said:

If it doesn't do at least $250M domestic, I'll be shocked.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I take it there wasn't much of a physical description of that character in the book? Or one of the two just did their own thing completely.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I take it there wasn't much of a physical description of that character in the book? Or one of the two just did their own thing completely.

There is a description. His looks and charisma in the books are part of what actually sets him apart for the Harkonnens. He's like their "golden child"…and is the Baron's chosen one essentially to take over everything. I'm rusty on the specifics but I think that's the boiler plate version essentially.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Again, I may be rusty.
RED AG 98
AG
Still processing, but hot damn yall. That was an experience. You are in for absolute treat.
Carlo4
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

TCTTS said:

If it doesn't do at least $250M domestic, I'll be shocked.

For the past few weeks I've been saying a billion worldwide isn't out of the question, but I'm officially predicting it now. The "normie" wave of reactions from tonight (above), along with the few reactions we have from posters here in the thread, just solidified it for me.

In the modern era, I've only ever seen this level of effusive praise from The Dark Knight and Top Gun: Maverick.

Sure, with Avatar, Infinity War/Endgame, Fury Road, LOTR, and a few others too, but there was a good deal of snark and critiques among those as well.

This, though? This is pure, euphoric hype. At least so far, it seems to be nothing but love all around.

With only minimal competition over the next two months (Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, and Civil War), incredible word of mouth, and the rabid rewatchability factor we're already seeing, I just don't see this train stopping anytime soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.