*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,235 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
bluefire579
AG
TCTTS said:

Trailer looks cool, but as always, holding out judgement until I see gameplay. I do wish it was a more traditional action RPG instead of an MMO, never been a fan of those personally
Duncan Idaho
This is funnier than the sum total of all of the jokes in Friends.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh you dislike Friends? That's super cool.
YouBet
AG
bluefire579 said:

TCTTS said:

Trailer looks cool, but as always, holding out judgement until I see gameplay. I do wish it was a more traditional action RPG instead of an MMO, never been a fan of those personally
Is it MMO? Says it's open world survival.
The Porkchop Express
Should have the option to play as a worm.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
bluefire579
AG
YouBet said:

bluefire579 said:

TCTTS said:

"Open world survival MMO"
YouBet
AG
bluefire579 said:

YouBet said:

bluefire579 said:

TCTTS said:

"Open world survival MMO"
Yeah, saw that on website.
PatAg
AG
YouBet said:

bluefire579 said:

TCTTS said:

not mmorpg
YouBet
AG
PatAg said:

YouBet said:

bluefire579 said:

TCTTS said:

not mmorpg
What is difference? I guess I have lost sight of that.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

bluefire579 said:

TCTTS said:

not mmorpg

I get confused on this as well. Is a game like Destiny considered a MMORPG? Or is it only games like World of Warcraft, where the entire world is constantly open?
PatAg
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

bluefire579 said:

TCTTS said:

not mmorpg

I get confused on this as well. Is a game like Destiny considered a MMORPG? Or is it only games like World of Warcraft, where the entire world is constantly open?
Destiny is closer to a WoW type of game, except its more a FPS than having Role Playing Game elements.

This games description makes it sound more like a game called Rust, that has been around a while and is popular. The company making it made a game called Conan Exiles as well.
So we might expect some form of gathering, crafting, base building in addition to combat.
YouBet
AG
PatAg said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

YouBet said:

PatAg said:

YouBet said:

bluefire579 said:

TCTTS said:

not mmorpg

Destiny is closer to a WoW type of game, except its more a FPS than having Role Playing Game elements.

This games description makes it sound more like a game called Rust, that has been around a while and is popular. The company making it made a game called Conan Exiles as well.
So we might expect some form of gathering, crafting, base building in addition to combat.

Website says it will have that. Multiplayer is multiplayer to me, but I only ever play single player games so I'm not really sure if I know what I'm talking about.
TCTTS
AG
I have no idea what any of this means, but I thought it might be pertinent to the conversation...

TCTTS
AG
Also, isn't that woman an Aggie? Did I read that somewhere?
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

I have no idea what any of this means, but I thought it might be pertinent to the conversation...

It might be as simple as she thought this was the movie sequel's title and then realized it was a video game.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's that it's an MMO rather than a real video game with a campaign/story.

MMO's are just kind of a sandbox (no pun intended) without much story.
TCTTS
AG
I took it too mean the meme is saying they thought the game was the good kind of game you guys are talking about as opposed to the lame kind of game you guys are talking about. I have no idea what *any* of it means, but I figured you guys might get the joke.

As for the woman in the meme, I'm pretty sure I read that she's an Aggie, but I'm not positive.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha, that makes sense.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

I took it too mean the meme is saying they thought the game was the good kind of game you guys are talking about as opposed to the lame kind of game you guys are talking about. I have no idea what *any* of it means, but I figured you guys might get the joke.

As for the woman in the meme, I'm pretty sure I read that she's an Aggie, but I'm not positive.

Probably makes more sense.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's that it's an MMO rather than a real video game with a campaign/story.

MMO's are just kind of a sandbox (no pun intended) without much story.

This is the correct interpretation.
Decay
AG
I mean your pun is kinda prescient though... If any property lends itself to survival gameplay with random encounters in a literal sandbox you can't find a more tailor made setting. I don't know how you gamify all the details but I can absolutely see how water as a precious resource would be interesting.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Decay said:

I mean your pun is kinda prescient though... If any property lends itself to survival gameplay with random encounters in a literal sandbox you can't find a more tailor made setting. I don't know how you gamify all the details but I can absolutely see how water as a precious resource would be interesting.

Sure, in theory. Problem is most open world MMO games like this are just too fragmented and seemingly "meaningless" for the mass audience.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've never been a huge MMO guy outside of WoW, but I will say I always enjoy all the desert settings in games, particularly in BOTW.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've never been a huge MMO guy outside of WoW, but I will say I always enjoy all the desert settings in games, particularly in BOTW.
I'm waiting for you to come play the free version of Star Wars Galaxies with me.

Admiral Snackbar is the best dressed chef on the entire Omega Server.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
cbr
AG
I have no idea whats going on with this thread, but i have to say, i watched this version of dune when it came out and liked it. But i must have been drunk or something because i just had a rough day and watched it again, and i thought it was absolutely fantastic this time around.

Really bummed its another year till the sequel.

Liked the 80's version alot too

Read the book as a third grader and never since. I didnt remember much - that was such a memorable summer otherwise. Read it on a small boat in the carribean with my dad and his very naked girlfriend who gave me the book. For some reason i remember her more than the book.

Anyway, my only contribution is what a great show. Cant wait for 2.
canadiaggie
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

Quote:

I just saw Elvis and I can safely say that butler is perfect to play Feyd Rautha because I wanna punch him so freaking bad
Faustus

How could you want to punch this guy?
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I was really looking forward to Dune: Part Two being a big, Thanksgiving release, but with Blade now getting pushed, it makes sense moving this up to its old spot, and Warner Bros giving a bit more breathing room between it and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (12/25/23)...

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

There is a lot of cool stuff they could do with this.

In the first book, (hopefully not a spoiler, it would have already happened in the first movie) there is an implication that the Bene Gesserit have spent millenia cultivating each religion that is present on each planet to assist their ultimate goals. That's why the Fremen view Paul and his mother as fulfilling prophecies. Herbert really liked to play with the concept of destiny vs free will, and this was just another layer of that.
TCTTS
AG
hunter2012
AG
There's a ton of potential here, the bene-gesserit are master manipulators that use feminine charm, wiles, and guile to pull the strings of power to guide humanity into the best possible future. They're the shadow matriarchy that even the emperors and noble houses have to respect. Rebecca Ferguson nailed this mindset and balance.

In today's political climate in Hollywood I fear for this show. The sisterhood were not feminists(by today's 5th wave standards). They embraced a "woman's role" as it let them manipulate the powerful and gave them full control on the important bloodlines. They never wanted the throne, because they WERE the power behind the throne. It allowed them to survive the regime changes that occur over the millennia. Dynasties rise and fall but the sisterhood were always pulling the strings(with the exception of the God Emperor's reign).

What I fear are shallow writers that'll put masculine traits into the sister characters turning them into action hero Mary Sues(i.e. Rey Palpatine). They had their own armies/warfare and they used men for them. They kill 300 pound goliaths with the voice not with black widow style scissor kicks(see freaking Dune). Yes they had their weirding fighting style but that was the last resort for personal survival, not the first weapon to get what they want.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.