*** DUNE: PART TWO ***

127,207 Views | 1414 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgfromHOU
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AliasMan02 said:

NoooooooooOOOOOOOOO

On the bright side, it gives TC a few extra months to not read the novel.
wangus12
AG
That is a ****ing moronic move. You've had a great turnout this summer and you're gonna turn around and pull one of the most anticipated movies of the fall out of the lineup. Do people actually pay attention to actors doing press circuits. I feel like 99% of people don't even know that happens and just see films based on commercials and trailers
YouBet
AG
Don't understand this. No one cares about press junkets. Everyone already knows about the movie.
TCTTS
AG
It's not just about press junkets. It's about social media, late night clips on YouTube, viral Hot Ones appearances, a star-studded fall festival premiere, a big Hollywood premiere, etc. All together, that kind of stuff adds up to massive exposure and awareness. Some billboards and commercials during football games aren't going to cut it. And when you have two of the biggest young stars on the planet, along with Florence Pugh and Oscar nominee Austin Butler added to the mix, you just can't squander that kind of promotional opportunity.
TCTTS
AG
There's also of course the very real possibility that some of the actors' duties on the movie weren't complete before they went on strike last month. Production was obviously complete, and the movie is surely edited, scored, etc, but ADR is a crucial aspect that might not have been finished yet.
cbr
AG
Let me get this straight. A movie. Based on a famous WRITTEN BOOK. Can't proceed because they need union WRITERS?!
TCTTS
AG
Actors, not writers. They need their insanely famous cast - who has sway over the younger demographic - to promote the movie. The issue is, the current actors' strike prevents actors from promoting their work during the strike, thus they wouldn't be available to participate in the press junket, the late night shows, the premieres, they wouldn't be able to post about the movie on social media, etc in the weeks leading up to its former early November release date.
cbr
AG
TCTTS said:

Actors, not writers. They need their insanely famous cast - who has sway over the younger demographic - to promote the movie. The issue is, the current actors' strike prevents actors from promoting their work during the strike, thus they wouldn't be available to participate in the press junket, the late night shows, the premieres, they wouldn't be able to post about the movie on social media, etc in the weeks leading up to its former early November release date.
Ahhh. I thought i read it was a writer's strike. Thx.
TCTTS
AG
It's both. The writers started striking in May, then the actors started striking in July. The first dual strike in 60+ years. So all of Hollywood is basically shut down.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

AliasMan02 said:

NoooooooooOOOOOOOOO

On the bright side, it gives TC a few extra months to not read the novel.

I like the idea someone brought up earlier of at least reading up to the second movie.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
The timing for this couldn't have been worse…

TCTTS
AG
"Let's release two full trailers that will play all summer long, before all the biggest movies, and then, the day before the big Empire cover drop, which can't be delayed since these things are planned months in advance, let's announce five-month delay of the release of the movie itself. We could move it to December, and give it Aquaman 2's release date, since that movie doesn't have a single trailer yet, which would make perfect sense and actually give December a traditional blockbuster everyone will go see, but no, let's leave Aquaman 2 on that prime, Avatar/Star Wars/Lord of the Rings spot, and move Dune to f/cking March."
bdkirk
AG
I'm no expert in this field, but wouldn't pushing Dune past that prime Dec window be an indication of execs' collective pessimism that the strikes are resolved in time for that release window? It doesn't seem like a great sign for the industry in general.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'm curious - does Aquaman 2 not need its actors to do the press stuff while Dune Part 2 does? Don't know about anyone else, but I'm stoked for Dune Part 2 but could not give two ****s about the Aquaman sequel. I'm 99.9% certain I won't bother with that movie theatrically, but will catch it whenever it airs on Max a few months later. Whereas I'll be in the theater for opening night of Dune Part 2.
#FJB
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I wonder if they've just resigned to the fact that all their DCEU movies will underperform.
Quad Dog
AG
TCTTS said:

"Let's release two full trailers that will play all summer long, before all the biggest movies, and then, the day before the big Empire cover drop, which can't be delayed since these things are planned months in advance, let's announce five-month delay of the release of the movie itself. We could move it to December, and give it Aquaman 2's release date, since that movie doesn't have a single trailer yet, which would make perfect sense and actually give December a traditional blockbuster everyone will go see, but no, let's leave Aquaman 2 on that prime, Avatar/Star Wars/Lord of the Rings spot, and move Dune to f/cking March."
"We'd also like to waste all that money on the first round of trailers and cooperation with Empire, then also spend more money on future trailers and other magazine coverage for the new date. We'd like to burn all that money instead of just paying our writers."
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Frankly, I think we are burying the lead here. By moving Dune 2 to March, that in turn, deferred the next Godzilla vs Kong film which is the real travesty.

TCTTS
AG
bdkirk said:

I'm no expert in this field, but wouldn't pushing Dune past that prime Dec window be an indication of execs' collective pessimism that the strikes are resolved in time for that release window? It doesn't seem like a great sign for the industry in general.

It's hard to say. I wouldn't necessarily call it pessimism, because the reality is that two strikes have to be negotiated, and they're currently concentrating on ending the writers' strike first. Then, when the writers' deal is done, that will provide positive momentum to get the actors' deal done, but yeah, that could still last into October/November. But it doesn't necessarily mean things are going bad (or worse, rather), it's just the reality of how long it will take to negotiate both deals.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I wonder if they've just resigned to the fact that all their DCEU movies will underperform.

Yeah, it would make sense that they've basically just given up on Aquaman, don't care about having it's stars promoting it six weeks out, and also want to make the gap between it and the DCU as wide as possible. Saving Aquaman for March would narrow that gap, and risk causing further confusion, possibly.
Faustus
YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

Frankly, I think we are burying the lead here. By moving Dune 2 to March, that in turn, deferred the next Godzilla vs Kong film which is the real travesty.
Or they're looking at Barbie/Oppenheimer type synergy. Godzilla/Kong v. Messiah/Worm.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I think it's that Wonka is also in December and Chalamet can't push 2 movies from the same studio at one time. And Wonka is a family focused holiday film while Dune can come out anytime and make money. They also probably don't care about Aquaman 2 other than to get it released and in the past.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
OR they need some dialogue dubbing and the movie isn't releasable without that.
TCTTS
AG
Good call on Wonka. Though, WB should just write that one off. It looks so bad.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just curious, what looks so bad about it?
TCTTS
AG
I like Chalamet a lot, but he was horribly miscast, IMO. He comes across as terrible in the part. That, and it just looks like another one of those crappy Harry Potter prequels. I don't know anyone who asked for the movie, and I don't understand giving that character a heartwarming origin story.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Is that even a movie that anyone wanted? The original remains fantastic.
#FJB
wangus12
AG
He just doesn't fit as Wonka. Chalamet doesn't come across as quirky and weird in the trailer. It comes across as forced and fake. That's just my opinion though.
TCTTS
AG
No, but it makes sense wanting to keep it in that December/holiday window. It's not really non-holiday movie.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I thought so too, but then saw it was directed by Paul King, who did Paddington 1 & 2, so I'll stay open minded.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The Porkchop Express
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

It smacks of the Buzz Lightyear movie. And Wonka is delightlfully mysterious. I don't want an explanation for why he can do what he does. I would hate a Field of Dreams prequel that explains how the voice ends up in Iowa.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

I like Chalamet a lot, but he was horribly miscast, IMO. He comes across as terrible in the part. That, and it just looks like another one of those crappy Harry Potter prequels. I don't know anyone who asked for the movie, and I don't understand giving that character a heartwarming origin story.

I haven't seen trailer. Is that what they are doing? No.

It shouldn't be heart warming. The mystery and eclecticism of his character is what makes him great.

This is dumb.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

It smacks of the Buzz Lightyear movie. And Wonka is delightlfully mysterious. I don't want an explanation for why he can do what he does. I would hate a Field of Dreams prequel that explains how the voice ends up in Iowa.

I might could take a Lost prequel that explains everything correctly

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.